Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jun 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2710932)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How evil is Anthony Davidson? (THREAD CLOSED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
For me, it's one of the most disrespectful experiences I've ever seen from a race car driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Le Mans
Davidson was driving like a dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1 View Post
Anthony Davidson is a tool! Just because he's an ex-F1 backmarker, doesn't make him a Le Mans race winner. There are some guys that are capable of winning Le Mans by driving at 99% for 24-Hours and then there are guys like Davidson, Ayari & Lamy who can do a few fast laps but will always cross the line and go off. ...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
I am so angry right now.
etc...

He was too aggressive when passing the Corvette (IMHO), but is he really the next BP, or is he a racing racing driver?

His reply:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD
Everyone's blaming me, but it wasn't me at all - it was completely his fault, I was down the inside and there was no contact.
I'll take as many risks as I need to win the damn thing. They told me to push and I did. I drove every lap like a quali lap, even coming into the pitlane - I didn't come here to finish third.
A hot topic for discussion. Play within the rules.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2710974)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I hear he is on the same level as Ted Bundy, Caryl Chessman and Hitler. Thats what I hear though... In other news he is often known by his alter ego evil supervillain name of 'the Prawn'.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2710986)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
From Oliver Gavin on Facebook - Just listened to Anthony Davidson's interview on Speed, staggered by his arrogance!!! He believes that we should just get out the way for him... It shows how little he understands about sportscar racing... There are 4 classes in this race, all individually as important as each other, no class has any more right than an...other. We all have to exist on track together. He said it's Manu's fault and deserved to go off!!!!
I like Davidson, but he has gone way in my estimation following his comment's this morning
Old 13 Jun 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2711000)   #4
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of his quoted comments seem a bit thoughtless, but I'm not sure he was as guilty as many are making out.

If there was contact, it was light - Looked more like the Vette driver saw him at the last moment and swerved to miss him.

His move on the Vette seemed more judged than Kristensen's determination to keep his foot hard in when Priaulx moved left, but I think questioning Tom K's driving is likely to get a fatwah issued on anyone doing so

Shame for the Vette team (Although was the engine failure REALLY directly attributable to the rear end shunt given that the other car had already lost its engine?), but the cause of the car's crash seemed much less clearcut than the Aston one last year that got the driver excluded (and that seemed heavy handed too).

I guess many will think Davidson got his just desserts anyway with his car expiring...

M
Old 13 Jun 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2711014)   #5
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Davidson’s comments were not in keeping with good sportsmanship. But at the end of the day the pro American commentary on speed was far more over the top. I have never in the last 25 years of watching motorsport, have I heard a commentary team so one-sidedly blame a driver for an incident that contained no contact... After watching the replay that has been replayed a hundred times the Pug was all the way up the side of the vett well before the next left like a thousand other Proto on GT pass that have taken place all race. A driver of the experience of Manu's should have known to slow being that wide. Shore I think he was pushing extremely hard but that’s racing… There have been far more disgraceful maneuvers performed in this event and at other major events on both sides of the Atlantic this year.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2711042)   #6
EsbenT
Rookie

Norway
Sandnes
EsbenT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree completely with the previous two posts.

I mean, just put yourself in Collard's driving shoes for this one: You're in a GT2. You're leading your class comfortably (this one is important). You've got a Peugeot closing in on you. You're approaching the Porsche curves. What is the first thought that crosses your mind when I pose this scenario? Personally it's "That moron is going for the first gap he sees, and I should do anything I can in order to avoid anything stupid happening."
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2711050)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwCLnXOQ5n0

The Peugeot has the inside line and is alongside the Vette.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2711051)   #8
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
arm chair racers again , race for 10 + hours and then make some comments. i think you may well say some things on the hoof that may well be taken wayyy out of context and or what you didn't really meen.thats racing folks !!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2711065)   #9
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's one of those things, whatever happened on track, he should have chosen his words better when being interviewed...
Old 13 Jun 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2711110)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interview with Davidson

About the Ferrari, sounding almost contrite!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Jun 2010, 14:50 (Ref:2711126)   #11
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Don't forget that Collard has plenty of endurance experience, both in GT and LMP (e.g., Pescarolo, Porsche RS Spyder, Toyota GT-One). He knows how to pass slower cars and get passed by faster cars.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2711132)   #12
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Judging from the YouTub vid I can't say Davidsons to blame for this one, though an onboard shot would be better material to base an opinion on.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2711139)   #13
RoeDent
Racer

Wales
Wales
RoeDent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've decided I don't like this guy. After his 'outburst' yesterday at being called a 'commentator' during an interview on Speed (talking about his BBC work), he went down in my book.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2711150)   #14
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Judging from the YouTub vid I can't say Davidsons to blame for this one, though an onboard shot would be better material to base an opinion on.
I don't think people blame Davidson for the crash. His move was very optimistic to say the least. The main problem is his arrogance in interviews afterwards, stating that Collard "deserved it". No apology what so ever for ruining Corvette's race.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2711153)   #15
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was waiting for this thread. His behavior in and out of the car was clearly unprofessional all weekend. I used to think highly of the guy. The Corvette was not the only incindent he was involved with. Even public criticism of team mates. Possible Napoleonic complex? He would not return to my team.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2711162)   #16
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Wurz and Gene won last year because they drove safely. So if they see their new team mate getting airborne over the curbs on his in lap, I can imagine that they were not so happy with his driving style.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:29 (Ref:2711164)   #17
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he ever races in slower cars and is leading his class or racing, period, he'll deserve the same treatment by a faster car.
Just because you're lapping another car, doesn't mean the other car needs to stop immediately and roll out the red carpet. Come on!
And only because this is a Peugeot, he wasn't black flagged. I wouldn't go as far to say as Eurosport said, to exclude him like Stuart Hall was, because Stuart had done this type of thing many times.

Shame these guys don't think before they talk, and shame their teams don't control these guys more. Those stupid interviews could have been avoided.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2711166)   #18
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's a good driver, but he IS NOT an endurance driver. He is not a Le Mans race winning driver. He should go back to sprint races.

It doesn't matter what we think, or what the past class winning drivers at Corvette think or what the pros at Speed TV think; it matters what the Peugeot team thinks. I doubt very much he'll be in that car next year. I'd put Duval in the car with Gene & Wurz next season.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2711167)   #19
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
For people who did not hear the interview. Just read http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84435
Quote:
Everyone's blaming me, but it wasn't me at all - it was completely his fault. I was down the inside and there was no contact. They were in the lead and I didn't know that. When you're in the lead you take fewer risks, I was on a mission out there.

I ended up on the racing line, it was a passing move on the inside. The GT cars can make your life difficult there - they don't like you to pass them in the Porsche Curves - I know that because I was the same when I was in a GT car here. But they don't need to, we're so much faster and it's so easy to do, just stay on the outside.

I'm sorry for them, but I didn't even know he'd gone off because we didn't touch.

I'll take as many risks as I need to win the damn thing. They told me to push and I did. I drove every lap like a quali lap, even coming into the pitlane - I didn't come here to finish third.
He explicitely says that he would drive the same line in a GT car and still he expected Collard not to
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2711172)   #20
rdt012237
Rookie

United States
somewhere,I think?
rdt012237 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The incident reminds me of the title of a book about Imsa racing in the early days "Fast guys,Rich guys,and IDIOTS.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2711173)   #21
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of being lynched i have to say after watching the accident multiple times i think everyone is being incredibly harsh to Anthony. He was alongside maybe even ahead of the Corvette turning into the left hand turn and there was no contact between the 2 cars.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2711182)   #22
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been watching in the incident in replays just now, having missed it happening live. The move was rather optimistic but there was no contact; it seemed that it could have been some combination of moving offline, air disturbance or maybe even a lift causing the back end to step out on Manu.

What I don't think is appropriate is saying he 'deserved it'. As far as I can tell, the Vette does move from the outside back towards the left while the Peugeot is alongside, squeezing him. I'm sure he either did not notice the Peugeot or was trying to maximize his grip in order to make the corner without lifting if, indeed, that could or did cause him to lose the back end.

Summary: Davidson's driving not that great, Davidson's microphone manner more questionable.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2711272)   #23
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
At the risk of being lynched i have to say after watching the accident multiple times i think everyone is being incredibly harsh to Anthony. He was alongside maybe even ahead of the Corvette turning into the left hand turn and there was no contact between the 2 cars.
Yeah, having watched that, the Vette lost it when Davidson was ahead...
Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2711307)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwCLnXOQ5n0

The Peugeot has the inside line and is alongside the Vette.
I've just watched that for the first time.

The Corvette driver clearly lost it.

Last edited by JAG; 13 Jun 2010 at 18:28.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:24 (Ref:2711310)   #25
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The move was aggressive but acceptable imho. Typical racing incident. As to his comments, that's really uncalled for and he deserves the criticism he's got for that. Not for the move.
Closed Thread