Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2711324)   #26
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A slightly tabloid thread title.. very PH..

Collard put his car in the wrong / vulnerable place, there was no touch. Davidson did little wrong, haven't seen his comments though.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2711329)   #27
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He deserves plenty of criticism for his comments, but both the collisions he had weren't clear cut it was his fault.

What I don't think is fair are people saying he doesn't deserve to keep his drive. His lap times I think have proved against this! He did well at Sebring too. People should remember he was only taking some risks because he HAD to push!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2711331)   #28
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
At the risk of being lynched i have to say after watching the accident multiple times i think everyone is being incredibly harsh to Anthony. He was alongside maybe even ahead of the Corvette turning into the left hand turn and there was no contact between the 2 cars.
Im in complete agreement.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2711336)   #29
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I recall at the time thinking RLM were actually totally misinterpreting what Anthony had said.

I took his comments to be him saying that he didn't mean for the Corvette to end up off the road, but it happens in sportscar racing (can and does easily happen, due to the high speed differentials). He then referenced the incident earlier in the race when he was on the losing end of a similar scenario, but didn't hold anything against the other guy (these things happen in sportscar racing, due to the complexities inherent in the class speed differentials).

His criticism, insofar as it went for the Corvette, which was rather mild, was that it should've held a different line into that sequence. He should've expected an LMP to being going by there. Yet, following that mild criticism, he went on to say how he understood the deal from the GT side (due to his past experience).

The over-riding impression I got was that Anthony was sorry the accident happened, but that he didn't feel he was responsible (and whilst it was more the other guy's fault, it wasn't really anything all that wrong - just an unfortunate situation), but rather it was one of them racing deals that happen in multi-class racing.

The comments he made about taking risks to win, etc., were in response to being asked about if it was wise to take these riskier lapping moves on GT cars. He was not saying he was all for and cool with deliberately taking out GT cars to better his cause since the LMP classes are more important (which is how RLM was portraying it).

I feel Anthony has been served a great injustice in the way his comments have been interpreted.

Now the driving itself is potentially questionable, as to whether it was too aggressive/risky, although I personally find it hard to see it as more than one of those things that inevitably occur periodically in multi-class endurance racing. However, the incident itself is a quite different issue to the issue of the comments/interpretation-of-said-comments.

Last edited by Dutton; 13 Jun 2010 at 18:58.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2711368)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
A slightly tabloid thread title.. very PH..
Apologises for that, but the first reply realised what I was getting at. The title is appropriate because it reflects the sentiment of a lot of posting at the time and some press reaction. It is, I hope, obvious that I do not think that he is 'evil' and should be taken in context.

Not tabliod, but purposeful reflection of a general lack of perspective.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2711369)   #31
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's face it this was a racing incident, no better, no worse than hundreds of others. The thing that has singled this out and was quite a suprise to me was Davidson's handling of the interview. Admittedly he was fresh out of the car so still high on adrenaline but I think this ably demonstrates why he has remained an also ran in F1. He is not the complete package when it comes to the media which is essential when it comes to a global sport. I'm sure any driver would hold the same opinions, lets face it your race IS more important than anyone else's but you don't vocalise it in such a clumsy arrogant way. Absoltely no media savvy which from a commentator beggars belief. Good driver but shouldn't be let near a microphone.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2711378)   #32
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The shunt wasn't his fault in my book. As for his comments well plenty of people on these boards moan when drivers trot out the team line and say they wish people would speak their mind. Well he spoke his mind.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2711389)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems that there is moaning when there is no racing and when drivers are boring in interviews.

Someone pushes really hard on the track and takes risks and he is evil. He then says it how he saw it (in the heat of the moment) and he is evil. At least he managed to not swear or insult anyone when interviewed while he was hot or bothered. Not everyone else managed that.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2711483)   #34
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Let's face it this was a racing incident, no better, no worse than hundreds of others. The thing that has singled this out and was quite a suprise to me was Davidson's handling of the interview. Admittedly he was fresh out of the car so still high on adrenaline but I think this ably demonstrates why he has remained an also ran in F1. He is not the complete package when it comes to the media which is essential when it comes to a global sport. I'm sure any driver would hold the same opinions, lets face it your race IS more important than anyone else's but you don't vocalise it in such a clumsy arrogant way. Absoltely no media savvy which from a commentator beggars belief. Good driver but shouldn't be let near a microphone.
I lost any respect I used to have for him after that interview. What an arrogant prick. Compare and contrast the attitudes taken by TK and Andy Priaulx, to see why they're both classy drivers and have won multiple championships/Le Mans.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2711531)   #35
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets face it, good driver, bad attitude. Peugeot would be wise to tell him to still his tongue or at least show some class.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2711534)   #36
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwoody View Post
arm chair racers again , race for 10 + hours and then make some comments. i think you may well say some things on the hoof that may well be taken wayyy out of context and or what you didn't really meen.thats racing folks !!
This is such a copout. You don't need to sit in a car to know the Corvette was taking a GT line in that corner and yes, there was a hole there, but Davidson knew the Corvette was turning in and he shoved it in there without an ounce of thought or respect as to what might happen to the Corvette.

As I said before, waiting 2 corners to pass properly would not have made any different whatsoever in Davidson's charge.

And as we all saw, it never would have mattered in the end.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 23:01 (Ref:2711535)   #37
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Had Mr Brabham sat in the chair of the #1 Peugeot rather than Mr Davidson, could we have seen a rather different result?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jun 2010, 23:16 (Ref:2711539)   #38
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Had Mr Brabham sat in the chair of the #1 Peugeot rather than Mr Davidson, could we have seen a rather different result?
No, the engine still would have blown.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2711540)   #39
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It sounds like I'm not in the minority in thinking the on track action was at best hopeful and at worst stupid. The first time I saw it I thought I saw contact and with the help of the greatest invention in the lap 5 years (DVR), I went back in the moment and realized it was 2 drivers not accounting for each other's actions. Neither was a mind reader and both had different ideas about what the other was going to do. Even as early in the morning as it was, I had chalked it up to a racing incident with a crappy result for Corvette.

After his interview I changed a little. Still thought it was a racing incident but one I think we will see again unless he learns the abilities of the other cars on track. It seems like we all love to see F1 guys come over to LM but have the single seaters become so specialized they can't cope with other classes as well as drivers of the past?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2711547)   #40
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how many accusing interviews he had to face before the speed tv interview. As he said everyone is blaming me about the accident that he didn't realize he was involved in. There is noting more off putting than the constant barrage of criticism from the speed commentary, and that was before the interview.

Ant had a brilliant stint with the only fault being the pit lane entry. The accident with the Ferrari would have cost them a lot of time and because of that if Brabs was driving the car they would probably have been leading until the engine broke late in the race. But Brabs couldn’t do those lap times any more.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2711550)   #41
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well you have to figure Pug team talked to him about what the incident looked like on camera. Speed was hoping to talk to him early but he ducked into the back f the garage for 15-20 min for a debrief and was probably talked to before he even was interviewed for tv.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2711556)   #42
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A racing incident, pretty blunt driving from Davidson, and a massive shame for Corvette.

BUT, Davidson's attitude in the post incident interviews was horrendous!

I actually lost all respect for the Pugs after that and was indifferent that they all failed, and was glad that Brabham didn't drive for them this year.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 00:35 (Ref:2711563)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
No, the engine still would have blown.
Actually dont be too sure about that.. the #1 car had its ring rung for hours on end... the 2009 LeMans win saw the car stoked not belted!

The #4 car was similarly belted, while the #2 car was also pushing hard.

Perhaps Peugeot should have fixed the #3?

Back on topic... is Mr Davidson evil? Well the Speed interview is certainly different from the Pug channel on YouTube, which seems to be all hearts & flowers (different audience I suspect..)
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Jun 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2711630)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
over taking through the Porsche Curves?? AD took that risk and it worked out for him and Peugeot. wait. no it didn't. AD's risky move only helped another team find an early end as well.
jolly sporting of you, Ant old boy.

for Adam43 on AD's evilness or hatred or whatever?
he is an Englishman driving for a French team. is that evil ?

hopefully, i'll see him at PLM!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 04:26 (Ref:2711638)   #45
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Bob View Post
A racing incident, pretty blunt driving from Davidson, and a massive shame for Corvette.

BUT, Davidson's attitude in the post incident interviews was horrendous!

I actually lost all respect for the Pugs after that and was indifferent that they all failed, and was glad that Brabham didn't drive for them this year.
Exactly how I felt, but I...kinda took it a step further, basically flaming the whole team on someone's stream and wishing for their race demise. Yeah, I'm vengeful
Old 14 Jun 2010, 04:27 (Ref:2711639)   #46
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
over taking through the Porsche Curves?? AD took that risk and it worked out for him and Peugeot. wait. no it didn't. AD's risky move only helped another team find an early end as well.
jolly sporting of you, Ant old boy.

for Adam43 on AD's evilness or hatred or whatever?
he is an Englishman driving for a French team. is that evil ?

hopefully, i'll see him at PLM!
Don't do anything too rash now.....
Old 14 Jun 2010, 04:31 (Ref:2711641)   #47
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The wreck itself didn't really look too bad to me. Racing incident and I'm not sure they even touched. Ayari coming down on a passing Aston looked worse.

His interview though is the entire turnoff. You're the faster car attempting to pass. The slower car's only job is to stay in a straight line if he's not racing you for position. It's your job as a professional to pass him without incident.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 05:29 (Ref:2711658)   #48
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So am I the only one who thought AD didn't do a bad job ? Sure his emotions were running high but it was his first time at the track in an LMP car. I guess his interviews were a bit pompous to the circumstances and Im not condoning his attitude in anyway but he had just been told to driving like hell. He was driving 3 hours at qualifying speeds so his concentration must have been at such a high rate. Has anyone here actually done this ? I mean driven for a prolonged period as if your life depended on it ? I guarantee you if you have when you have stopped concentrating so hard on something for such a time your attitude isn't going to be "hey hows it going good to see you? sorry for all that happened back there my fault old chap" your still thinking in deep thoughts. Plus on top of this a microphone in your face from people who are quite clearly disgruntled at you, things you say are going to be taken "the wrong way". But that's my 2 cents cut him some slack and lets have him back next year when he will have more experience.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2711786)   #49
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overtaking through that small kink is quite uncommon. Usually a prototype will pass a GT car either in the first righthander (where Priaulx ran Kristensen off the road) or wait to pass in the final long righthander (Gene corner). Passing in the two kinks in the middle of the Porsche curves happens rarely, and i think we saw why. There are just no room or runoff for two cars to go through there. In a slow corner it is possible to adjust your line, but in a fast corner, once you get on the marbles there is nothing you can do if you have committed to take the racing line.

I would agree with Davidson that yes he was on the inside and there was no contact. As such, in a sprint race, it would be a clean move. However i do understand why Collard did not expect Davidson to go through right there. As i said, that just does not happen very often. Usually the prototype would wait through the kink, and then make a pass on the outside of the long righthander. That is probably what Collard was expecting to happen, and he might even have run a little shallow into the kink, in a way of signalling "wait a minute, you are not going through there". When Davidson then in fact did get inside the Corvette, there was noway for Collard to save the situation.

A misunderstanding between a single seater driver forcing his way through traffic with no thought to the consequences of the lower classes, and a experienced endurance driver setting up to do the lapping the usual way.
Had it been a single case, i would award Davidson with a "racing incident". But Davidson had a couple of questionable incidents in the race. Certainly the coming together with Alesi, which was completely Davidson fault, should have had him thinking about what he was doing. But he came right back with another very forcefull move in a dangeurous part of the track.

I hope Davidson will learn from his experiences this race. He was very fast when he was not making mistakes. I don't buy that Peugout would have been better off with Brabham. Sure Brabs knows the Le Mans way of doing things, and would have avoided the incidents Davidson had. But at this stage of his career, Brabs would not have been able to do the laptimes Davidson constantly did.
Davidson showed great potential as a prototype racer. With a couple of years of experience, he should find the way of doing things at Le Mans. He could become a good racer at Le Mans, but he needs to have more respect for the race and the other classes.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2711897)   #50
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Brabham crash into a WR and at the same time end his race at Spa last year? Happens to the best of them you know...

There should be a consistent penalty system for drivers at Le Mans:
*Clearly - without doubt- causing an accident=you're out (not AD's case here with the Vette).
*1 questionable incident=major warning.
*Second questionable incident=you're out of the race and banned for next year. *And they should pay for damage done to privateers' cars.
*Dicky comments should also be punished.
Closed Thread