Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2711904)   #51
ianroke
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
ianroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy View Post
So am I the only one who thought AD didn't do a bad job ? Sure his emotions were running high but it was his first time at the track in an LMP car.
Anthony raced last year at Le Mans for Aston Martin and finished 13th. I have a huge amount of respect for him as a driver and he was tasked with driving the nuts off that Peugeot for a long period of time. I think he quadruple stinted the tyres? Racing incident however he needs to show a lot more respect for other drivers because he will alienate himself otherwise. I'm sure it is extremely hard to keep calm when reporters are baying for your blood and you are full of adrenaline.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:41 (Ref:2711913)   #52
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whoops ! indeed he was with Jos and Darren..... slipped my mind......
Old 14 Jun 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2711925)   #53
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
Didn't Brabham crash into a WR and at the same time end his race at Spa last year? Happens to the best of them you know...
Good point.
Quote:
There should be a consistent penalty system for drivers at Le Mans:
*Clearly - without doubt- causing an accident=you're out (not AD's case here with the Vette).
*1 questionable incident=major warning.
*Second questionable incident=you're out of the race and banned for next year. *And they should pay for damage done to privateers' cars.
*Dicky comments should also be punished.
A consistent penalty system is impossible for on track behaviour. It is too open to interpretation.
And too much demand from the lynch mob.

Damage to privateer cars! Unworkable and unrequired. Motorsport quite often doesn't work out how you want, there are many things outside your control. Most competitors realise this. It is not a place for people who automatically cry "it's not fair" like a child.

Davidson was too aggressive at that point. Not that much more than some of the established drivers either, similar things have passed without incident. And that is the end of it for me. Next race...
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2711958)   #54
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
In http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84506 Davidson is somehow apologizing for his statements during the interview(s).
Quote:
I'd like to talk about it because I hear the radio commentator here was a bit harsh on me. Maybe I said some things in the heat of the moment that I might regret. Obviously I never want to be a part of, or the reason why, someone's race might have ended at Le Mans, so I feel sorry for the Corvette guys. I didn't know that at the time... and I'm sorry for that.

I was none the wiser, for me it was just a normal passing move in the Porsche Curves, like I'd done to 50 or 60 other cars throughout the event. So I was a bit shocked when I was being accused of ending someone's race because I was just completely oblivious. I didn't even know that he had gone off because of me. Anyway, I think I might have said something like, 'I don't care' at the time, but what I was trying to say was that it wasn't my race, I'm not racing them so my care was getting my car back into the lead where we belonged.
With this I propose to close the topic.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2711987)   #55
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy View Post
So am I the only one who thought AD didn't do a bad job ? Sure his emotions were running high but it was his first time at the track in an LMP car. I guess his interviews were a bit pompous to the circumstances and Im not condoning his attitude in anyway but he had just been told to driving like hell. He was driving 3 hours at qualifying speeds so his concentration must have been at such a high rate. Has anyone here actually done this ? I mean driven for a prolonged period as if your life depended on it ? I guarantee you if you have when you have stopped concentrating so hard on something for such a time your attitude isn't going to be "hey hows it going good to see you? sorry for all that happened back there my fault old chap" your still thinking in deep thoughts. Plus on top of this a microphone in your face from people who are quite clearly disgruntled at you, things you say are going to be taken "the wrong way". But that's my 2 cents cut him some slack and lets have him back next year when he will have more experience.
very good points, havent read all the posts but this is a very relevant point.
racing incident considering all the factors, and given that they were having to go at it hammer and tongs to catch up, I do think the Vette should have been even more careful watching his backfor the Porsche curves entrance leadup in his mirrors.

as MikeW states though, very very easy to say all of this from the couch.....

Oh, and thanks Gwyll for the link, he was well spoken and honest, I respect him for that.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2711988)   #56
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84506 Davidson is somehow apologizing for his statements during the interview(s).

No! We must destroy and dismantle his character and very being! Hitler's already been mentioned in this thread, we need to go deeper into this!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2711995)   #57
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
No! We must destroy and dismantle his character and very being! Hitler's already been mentioned in this thread, we need to go deeper into this!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2712016)   #58
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I will second some of the comments here that the move around both the Ferrari and Corvette were optimistic. The comments on Speed were a total brain fade... certainly didn't make any fans on this side of the pond. As Hindy said at the end of the race, he could learn a thing or two by listening to TK's response to Andy Priaulx. Also, if Pirro, Biela, and Werner didn't teach us anything, this weekend is a reminder that being fast isn't what it's all about. Taking excessive risk not only puts your race in danger but other cars as well.

Anyone remember Villeneuve's comments to his teammates in Truth in 24?
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2712017)   #59
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Sure... He still doesn't get Le Mans.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2712044)   #60
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Taking excessive risk not only puts your race in danger but other cars as well.
But the team had told him to do everything to catch back up and take risk's, so can we really blame him for doing so?
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2712055)   #61
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
But the team had told him to do everything to catch back up and take risk's, so can we really blame him for doing so?

Yes, we can and should!

L.P.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2712065)   #62
Jim1
Rookie

Jim1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davidson:

Anyway, I think I might have said something like, 'I DON'T CARE' at the time, but what I was trying to say was that it wasn't MY race, I’M not racing them so MY care was getting MY car back into the lead where WE belonged.

Jim:

I see. It isn’t that he doesn’t care at all about ANYONE, it’s just that he doesn’t care about anyone ELSE. Well, that’s much better. I was really worried there for moment that he didn’t care about HIMSELF.

Let’s see. I’M on a mission to win ... so therefore ... nothing ELSE matters ... so therefore ... I DON’T CARE ... about unimportant things ... like racing rules ... like racing etiquette ... so therefore ... running OTHER cars off the road ... is the RIGHT thing to do ... because it helps ME accomplish MY mission.

Who can argue with logic like that?

So then it’s OK for other cars, in order to accomplish their mission, to run Peugeots off the road. Right?

What do you mean, no? Once the Peugeots are knocked out of the race, it is much easier for the other cars to accomplish their mission. Therefore, running Peugeots off the road becomes the right thing to do. Yes?

The logic is perfect.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:19 (Ref:2712069)   #63
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that given his mea culpa statement on his earlier reply during the Speed interview, especially where he clarified that since he had not hit the car he did not know it had gone off when he was past it, we can close the book on this. Maybe he was driving a little aggressively but, in the final judgment, it was his comments that caused most of the consternation and those have been dealt with.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2712074)   #64
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From what i've watched, the corvettes were very unstable in th eporsche curves when they were fighting with Risi, so my guess is that Emanuell should have gonne into the corner slower when he knew there was a prototype there with him
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2712079)   #65
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Right, now that he has seen what reaction his ineptitude has brought about and he has had someone talk to him and possibly coach what his new statement should address, we are supposed to forget it? NOT!

L.P.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2712083)   #66
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The team orders were push and perhaps they gave a target lap time. It is up to the driver to decide which risks are worth taking. For Davidson this meant driving into Alesi and ending in the gravel, doing an overtaking move that resulted in the GT2 leader going into the barrier, and taking off over the curbs when entering the pit lane.

Wurz was also asked to push and he did the fast lap time of the #1 car, but there is no thread on the forum discussing his driving style
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2712085)   #67
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I heard he also caused the oil spill in the Gulf.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2712089)   #68
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I heard he also caused the oil spill in the Gulf.
(ot: )

And in response to this oil spill, English national soccer team goalkeeper Robert Green has been approached by BP to save the Gulf and assist in stopping the oil gusher.

(joke that made the rounds on American soccer boards)
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2712100)   #69
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One thing that really bothers me is the threats of violence i am seeing from Corvette fans all over the place when he comes to Petit Le Mans later this year, this for me has really put me off the Corvette brand that it attracts these kind of people in swarms.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2712110)   #70
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
One thing that really bothers me is the threats of violence i am seeing from Corvette fans all over the place when he comes to Petit Le Mans later this year, this for me has really put me off the Corvette brand that it attracts these kind of people in swarms.
Threats of violence are way, way, over the top, I will agree!
But being put off of Corvette, because of the imbecilic threats, is a bit of an overreaction, IMO.

L.P.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2712112)   #71
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
One thing that really bothers me is the threats of violence i am seeing from Corvette fans all over the place ...
...where, here?
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2712115)   #72
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Perhaps these Corvette should read the website of their favorite team:
Quote:
At 8:24 a.m., the No. 64 Corvette C6.R had hard contact with the barriers in the Porsche Curves after an aggressive pass by the No. 1 Peugeot LMP1. Driver Emmanuel Collard was not injured in the accident.

"I turned to the second left in the Porsche corner and the Peugeot was on the inside," Collard said. "I didn't know he was there, I was focused on my driving. There was no contact, but he was there on the inside and I missed the right line. The car lost grip, and I crashed."
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2712124)   #73
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
So, apparently Manu made the error, not AD?
Yes, it was aggressive, but no more so than every other pass I have seen from Audi or Peugeot in Porsche Curves... Or at Ford etc!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2712125)   #74
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prost and Senna - Suzuka 89
Senna and Prost - Suzuka 90
Schumacher and Hill - Adelaide 94
Schumacher and Villeneuve - Jerez 97.

Not quite apples and apples, but arguably worse than AD and Manu incident as these, all quite deliberate incidents, were involved with direct championship rivals and were much more orchestrated. And yet the perpetrators remain true legends.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2712127)   #75
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Perhaps these Corvette should read the website of their favorite team:

All that does is verify that Davidson stuck it in down the inside of the Vette and took away the line which put the Vette off and wrecked it!!

L.P.