Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 May 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3072980)   #51
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its a work issue , my miss job and our little girl at school . Cant ask the missis to take 11 days of her hols to fit in with me .

BUT ..... as I said , hopefully she will be cheesed off with my overcooked antics for the weekend , and send me off to Coventry for next year !!!

Ive booked the week off work though ..... and will be tuned in . Im certainly not bloody workin while its on .
Old 12 May 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3072987)   #52
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
'For goodness sake, don't ever tell him he can't go to Le Mans. All I heard from him last year was where he would have been and what he would have been watching - for the entire 24 hours......'
If the better half to be were to forbid me to go to Le Mans, I would be doing that for 168 hours!
Old 12 May 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3073269)   #53
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Eh?
In the post I quoted I cannot see a single word about 'driving in France'.
How can you know about 'the core campsite culture' (of Le Mans) when you've never been.
You didn't mention that your POV is that of a 'young female traveller' which in any case may be of little relevance to a mature family.
I just felt your post was very negative in many ways and wanted to reassure the OP that it's all good and they will have a ball.
his daughter is 21. that's what i was commenting on. i've got friends who have been going for 20 years, so i do know about the campsite culture. i've also experienced it first hand at more than one foreign circuit campsite at big races.

of course it's negative. you wouldn't want some of the hassle and things that have been said (and done) to me to be said (and done) to your daughter, so you'll have to excuse me for making the op aware of it. as i said in my post, it depends on who she is whether she'll feel intimidated by it or not.

there's plenty of people saying that he and his family will love it, and i'm sure they will. in the spirit of giving genuine advice to the op, i just wanted to make sure that he was aware that there are some pondlife who may or may not be in his campsite.

bentley03 (and ayse), thanks for the advice. i'm actually sober (except christmas and birthdays and mealtimes with the french) and the sole driver for any adventures, so i'm anticipating spending a lot of time watching cars go past in as many different ways as possible whilst off my face on red bull . i'm still finding it difficult to understand where to look for battles and dramas, but i'm learning, studying and revising. i want to appreciate the race in the same way i enjoy the races i go to and watch regularly. so it's taking a lot of effort.

fwiw i stand by my comment about most people here keeping their cards close to their chests. but anything that has been offered has been immensly useful in building up a picture of how best to enjoy the event as much as possible
Old 12 May 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3073271)   #54
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well some have put forward their opinion regarding families which is fine, but having had experience myself I would honestly want to reassure the OP that this is not the case.

I wouldn't have any issues with people saying Le Mans isn't suitable for families or those not interested in motor racing, but I feel that's putting unneccessary worry in the mind of the OP. I hope he'll have a great time...he should do!
Old 13 May 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3073390)   #55
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
but having had experience myself I would honestly want to reassure the OP that this is not the case
Ahem , In your opinion at least add .
Old 13 May 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3073445)   #56
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
911CG you must have arrived at a somewhat confused picture of LM after reading all the squabbling in these pages, but I hope that you won't be put off attending.

I took my seven year old son on my second trip and have since attended with a a variety of under-tens. Not once have we had a problem - indeed the very fact of being both abroad and somewhere new seems to have driven out the "I'm bored" syndrome.

I have very limited experience of the "campsite culture" referred to, but that limited experience has driven me away from the track. Our party used to stay regularly at Arnage, but after sixteen consecutive years, the squalor, plus the inconsiderate antics of some English, but more frequently, Dutch and Germans led us to consider an alternative location. For the past twelve years we've stayed on a "proper" camspite some 10 - 15 miles away. Result? Peace, quiet and a civilised way of life. It's too late if you've booked Dairon, but worth considering for next year if you end up with negative experiences this year.

Since you're taking your wife's car, the potential boredom factor could be alleviated by those with limited interest in motor racing taking the car elsewhere for a day out. We now have those in our party who never even see the race. Wives go to the shops, the Loire Valley and so on whilst those interested in the race go and spectate. It's their loss, but it's an arrangement that keeps everyone happy.

Just go; make the most of the occasion, but be aware! Le Mans is addictive.
Old 13 May 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3073475)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post

Just go; make the most of the occasion, but be aware! Le Mans is addictive.
And therein lies the truth. Just go, be positive and look forward to the Motorsport experience that beats all.
Old 13 May 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3073536)   #58
The Badger
Veteran

Yep , spot on .
Old 13 May 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3073592)   #59
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Ahem , In your opinion at least add .
Yes, of course in my opinion! Just doing my duty in ensuring this is a balanced thread Badger
Old 13 May 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3073707)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent.

Now lets move on.......
Old 13 May 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3074045)   #61
911CG
Rookie

911CG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,
Many, many thanks for all your help with this. I'm truly humbled by all of you that have attended for 10's of years and really appreciate you imparting advice which you have built up throughout this time, and giving it up for free.

I fully understand all of the views of bringing the family along (which was why I asked was it an insane thing to do!).

My daughter has now decided to bring her boyfriend along, so she will hav e some company! (Bought ticket already). An extra seat up in the 7 seater means I'll definitely take a roof box.

The wife is being very positive about it, she is looking at the club arnage guide as we speak.

The only thing that will spoil it will be rain I guess, we are all really looking forward to the experience as a family.

I'll respond more fully when I'm at my desk, but really appreciate all of the help and balanced advice your giving.

Keep it coming!!

Regarding taking two seaters instead of MPVs/people carriers, we have two 911s, a 993 and a 997 gen 2 4S cab so we could take both instead of the S Max.

Sadly she won't stretch as far as driving the second 911 otherwise we could take the two down! (One with a roofbox?)

Chris
Old 13 May 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3074050)   #62
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Take one fun car and one practical car!
Old 13 May 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3074053)   #63
911CG
Rookie

911CG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea, it frees up a couple of spaces and leaves more room for kit!

Quick question, can anyone shed light on the funfair and the concerts?

The funfair especially for the 7 yo
Old 13 May 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3074066)   #64
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CG View Post
Good idea, it frees up a couple of spaces and leaves more room for kit!

Quick question, can anyone shed light on the funfair and the concerts?

The funfair especially for the 7 yo
The funfair is a hit-and-miss affair - some years it's great, others not so great. There's always a ferris wheel and I reccomend you all go on that - temporarily, you'll get the best view of the racing! Do it at night and you can see the lights of the City too.

Dodgems are fun - but I wouldn't reccomend them if you have fillings in your teeth! The "bump" in bumper car clearly means much more in France....

As for concerts, there've been some pretty decent bands there. The Hoosiers and Razorlight have played recently, as have The Stranglers.

Also be prepared to be hungry more than usual. Everywhere you go there's a tempting smell with a stall cooking something you've never had before - you might be able to resist as an adult but for kids those smells are irresistable and I always used to turn on the nag factor.
Old 14 May 2012, 05:28 (Ref:3074123)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CG View Post

The only thing that will spoil it will be rain I guess.

No. It won't.

It never rains at Le Mans.

Not in June 2012, anyway.

As to food - you have to have a sandwich americaine with a merguez and plenty of moutarde.......
Old 14 May 2012, 07:44 (Ref:3074154)   #66
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No. It won't.

It never rains at Le Mans.

Not in June 2012, anyway.

As to food - you have to have a sandwich americaine with a merguez and plenty of moutarde.......
.... and a Grand Marnier Crepe
Old 14 May 2012, 08:14 (Ref:3074173)   #67
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
do not let your kids eat a mergeuz or you will regret it later, stick to tartiflex (well something like that) much better chance of them keeping it down
Old 14 May 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3074201)   #68
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'm still finding it difficult to understand where to look for battles and dramas, but i'm learning, studying and revising. i want to appreciate the race in the same way i enjoy the races i go to and watch regularly. so it's taking a lot of effort.
Battles and dramas can happen anywhere and often do. The best advice is to keep up with it via Radio Le Mans and the big screens. Some good viewing spots are as follows:

1/ Outside of the track on the pit straight tribunes is great for the start and to soak up the atmosphere at night. Try and position yourself towards the left hand end of the pits where you can see the big screen.
2/ Anywhere heading towards Tetre Rouge from the road tunnel under the circuit - you should walk this entire section preferably out on one side of the track and back on the other side. Make sure you go down past the pedestrian tunnel at Tetre Rouge on both sides of the track. on the outside of the track at this point is about as close as you can get to the cars and at night this is quite spectacular. On the bank on the inside is also great at night. Remember to look behind where you can see the cars heading off down the Mulsanne.
3/ Heading back the other way from the Tibunes you can stop on the outside of the Ford chicanes and then head off down to the end of the Porsche curves. Make sure you go right down to the end of the campsite as there is a good view of the cars coming through the Porsche curves.
4/ You can get some way down on the inside of the track to the Kart track but I have never been yet so someone else will have to advise.
5) There are 3 viewing points beyond this for which you will need a car/bus or bike to get to but they are worth the effort - especially Arnage at night. It may be that you save one or more of these for another year as 24hours can go very quickly and you will want to head back to the pits area for the finish.

The best advice is to spend as much time as you can viewing at night and early morning as this is when the magic of Le Mans really hits you - keys areas at night are: Pits straight watching the pit work, Tetre Rouge and Arnage / Mulsanne viewing areas.

I hope this helps

Mal
Old 14 May 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3074230)   #69
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
do not let your kids eat a mergeuz or you will regret it later, stick to tartiflex (well something like that) much better chance of them keeping it down
Its not so much keeping it down , as opposed to keeping it in !!!

Taftiflette ..... smells like your feet had a really bad day .
Old 14 May 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3074251)   #70
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
but it tastes better than it smells
Old 14 May 2012, 10:01 (Ref:3074256)   #71
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Battles and dramas can happen anywhere and often do. The best advice is to keep up with it via Radio Le Mans and the big screens. Some good viewing spots are as follows:

1/ Outside of the track on the pit straight tribunes is great for the start and to soak up the atmosphere at night. Try and position yourself towards the left hand end of the pits where you can see the big screen.
2/ Anywhere heading towards Tetre Rouge from the road tunnel under the circuit - you should walk this entire section preferably out on one side of the track and back on the other side. Make sure you go down past the pedestrian tunnel at Tetre Rouge on both sides of the track. on the outside of the track at this point is about as close as you can get to the cars and at night this is quite spectacular. On the bank on the inside is also great at night. Remember to look behind where you can see the cars heading off down the Mulsanne.
3/ Heading back the other way from the Tibunes you can stop on the outside of the Ford chicanes and then head off down to the end of the Porsche curves. Make sure you go right down to the end of the campsite as there is a good view of the cars coming through the Porsche curves.
4/ You can get some way down on the inside of the track to the Kart track but I have never been yet so someone else will have to advise.
5) There are 3 viewing points beyond this for which you will need a car/bus or bike to get to but they are worth the effort - especially Arnage at night. It may be that you save one or more of these for another year as 24hours can go very quickly and you will want to head back to the pits area for the finish.

The best advice is to spend as much time as you can viewing at night and early morning as this is when the magic of Le Mans really hits you - keys areas at night are: Pits straight watching the pit work, Tetre Rouge and Arnage / Mulsanne viewing areas.

I hope this helps

Mal

absolutely spot-on.
when the old 'village' was still there we used to have a big meet-up with friends at the champagne stall at midnight, thus fortified about 1-ish we'd wander off in the Tertre Rouge direction, returning about 3. Never camped but always booked a car park spot close to the tribunes, if tired then we'd snatch a couple of hours kip in the car, cook bacon and eggs and be back in the grandstand for 0800. If not tired then we'd drive round to Arnage / Indianapolis for an hour or so around dawn - magical :-)

Just realised no-ones mentioned ACO membership yet - is that still worthwhile or have the benefits all eroded away? Certainly the access to the central hospitality building was a bonus on a couple of occasions when it rained...

Last edited by MGDavid; 14 May 2012 at 10:03. Reason: ACO?
Old 14 May 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3074462)   #72
The Badger
Veteran

I prefered the old village , it had character . I remember one year , while buying a sausage or chips from a hawker , I turned around stood on a gutter cover and my leg disapeared past my knee down the hole , landed on my arse , whopped my knee off the edge of the steel gutter surround ..... felt like I had broke it . I honestly thought hospital was the next move for me ..... limp the lot , cut knee swollen knee and ripped jeans , I recoved my composure about 20 minutes later , was worried though .

Not about the knee , ABOUT THE RACE !!!

And seeing the old pits for the first time ..... magic to see .

I do understand that they needed a doing up , but I cant help missing them too .
Old 14 May 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3074499)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Can't agree with that - children should be introduced to the delights of the merguez as early as possible! Tartiflette though - no, not for me.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post

Just realised no-ones mentioned ACO membership yet - is that still worthwhile or have the benefits all eroded away? Certainly the access to the central hospitality building was a bonus on a couple of occasions when it rained...

I've been a member since '97. Gets a little more expensive each year. You can get quite a bit of your money back on the ticket reduction, but for me, the post race pack is very important bus also access to the members enclosure down at Dunlop is a bit of a Godsend....
Old 14 May 2012, 19:28 (Ref:3074525)   #74
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Can't agree with that - children should be introduced to the delights of the merguez as early as possible! Tartiflette though - no, not for me.....

Merguez and tartiflette are both LM culinary details.

Andouillette is what all right thinking people should avoid at all costs.
Old 14 May 2012, 20:33 (Ref:3074555)   #75
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
A little warning about merguez eating:
http://www.lemans2006.co.uk/socks.htm
Parental guidance advised!!!!