Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Sep 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3303280)   #1
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
My trip to the Nurburgring

Okay, so not strictly Le Mans related, but as you guys have been so supportive over the last 18 months and showed such an interest in my recovery, I thought you might like to hear about my trip to the Ring.

This time last year, just before my stem cell transplant, I went out for a last beer with a good mate of mine. He asked me to come up with something I really wanted to do, so I had something to look forward to over the difficult months ahead. When it comes to history and reputation, only one place comes close to Le Mans and that for me is the Nurburgring. So we agreed when I was well enough we would go out there and drive a couple of laps round the Nordschleife.

Well this week we did it. We left Bristol early on Tuesday, but then got delayed for 3 hours circling outside Calais on the ferry due to industrial action. After a long drive we arrived at our hotel just outside Nurburg (the Rennhotel, great value, good quality, friendly staff who stayed late to wait for us - happy to recommend it), and after a quick beer, crashed for the night. On Wednesday we went to the white elephant that is the Ringwerk; a huge development on the F1 circuit that at one stage threatened the whole place with closure due to bankruptcy. It looked deserted, but eventually we found an info desk and had a very enjoyable tour of the old paddock and the new F1 facilities. In the afternoon we had a couple of sessions of karting, (had the place to ourselves) in preparation for the evening.

Then at 4pm we arrived at the Rent4Ring (again very happy to recommend) car hire centre. After being told exactly how much it would cost us if we wrecked the car we had a great, if slightly scary briefing on how to approach our laps, stay safe and have fun. Then after being introduced to the car (a Suzuki Swift with uprated tyres, suspension and brakes and a half roll cage, perfect for beginners), we were off to the track. We shared 4 laps in total, mine were the 1st and 3rd. The first half of my first lap ever on any race track, in semi-wet conditions with much faster cars flying past, was frankly terrifying! After keeping to the right as a slower car, I then got a clear shot at the Karussel and was able to (in my head at least!) emulate my heroes and bounce round the concrete banking and pop out at the end. The whoops from me and Rob (my mate) let all the tension out and from then on it was just sheer fun. My second lap was all I could have wanted. The track was drying out, but the earlier wet weather meant it was deserted. With the exception of the last corner when we got stuck behind a safety car and 50 seater coach(!) I didn't see a single car. This meant I could actually drive properly, use the racing line and really enjoy myself. The Nordschleife is everything and more than I expected, the elevation changes and blind corners and crests have to be experienced to be really appreciated. My bridge to gantry time was 12.39, so I reckon without the coach a 12.30 lap, which for my second lap in a little hatchback I was really happy with. A great meal at the famous Pistonklaus restaurant finished a wonderful day.

So there you are, a true bucket list thing to do and two days later, I'm still smiling like a idiot.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3303288)   #2
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Nice to hear from you Allon, I drove around the nordschleife myself a couple of years ago, indeed an experience never to forget!
Old 13 Sep 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3303289)   #3
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So glad to read this, and so envious of your experience! Keep the good news coming!
Old 13 Sep 2013, 14:37 (Ref:3303387)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well that makes it certain Le Mans 2014 will see your return along with a certain german make

Anyway good news you are recovering well
Old 13 Sep 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3303519)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fantastic Allon - one up on me, for sure! Wonderful that you had such a great time and even better that you were 'well enough' to go over and do it! So, as Simon says, LM 2014 just has to be a given now - we will not accept anything less!
Old 13 Sep 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3303544)   #6
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Great to read this mate! The Nordschleife indeed is the non plus ultra of racetracks and so much fun(and heartstopping) to drive yourself.
Drove the track myself with the GTfour a couple of times and once with an Alfa GT Q2. Great roadholding that car had!

Very good to hear you're on the mend.
Old 13 Sep 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3303573)   #7
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good reading Allon!
Driving the Green Hell, is a dream of my own too
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well that makes it certain Le Mans 2014 will see your return along with a certain german make

Anyway good news you are recovering well
Agree with Simon, Le Mans 2014 is a must for you now, especially with ze Germanz back (the other germanz)
Old 13 Sep 2013, 22:21 (Ref:3303606)   #8
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Great story, and gives people like me, for whom Gran Turismo had whispered in my ear "remember, you are mortal", a bit of encouragement to go and have a try on the track.

Can only imagine how big the grin must have been after that 12:39...
Old 14 Sep 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3303680)   #9
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great story. Sounds like fun. Now that you've been bitten by the 'ring bug, go back for a 24h race at some point. It won't be deserted, but it will be an experience. We've been a few times and love every one. We're doing both LM and Nurburgring 24h races next year!
Old 14 Sep 2013, 11:28 (Ref:3303798)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Awesome stuff. I think it's something virtually everyone is forum would want to do if they haven't already. Thanks for sharing!

Can you just turn up in any car then? And if so, is there a limit to how slow the car you bring is?
Old 14 Sep 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3303802)   #11
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Wonderful to hear Allon!

Great to hear you enjoyed yourself at the Ring. Sounds like a fantastic experience, something I plan to do one day. Id love to go for a shotgun ride with a pro to see what a really fast lap would be like. Im sure it would be terrifying but unlike anything else.
Old 14 Sep 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3303872)   #12
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Awesome stuff. I think it's something virtually everyone is forum would want to do if they haven't already. Thanks for sharing!

Can you just turn up in any car then? And if so, is there a limit to how slow the car you bring is?
Yes, you can bring ANY car you want - even your Martini Panda
Old 14 Sep 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3303992)   #13
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the grin is still as big and stupid when I think of those laps. It was a good thing it was a quiet weekday evening in September, they reckon up to 1000 cars an hour lap on summer weekends. I'm not honestly sure that would be much fun.

Re. taking your car - yes you can, but think carefully about it first. You will NOT be insured on normal insurance; there are 3 good rental firms in Nurburg who all rent cars prepared for the ring and fully insured (although crashing would involve a large excess and repair costs to the circuit). Rent4Ring were great; they briefed you on the dangers and what to do if things go wrong, also tips on how to stay safe and have fun.

It really was a long held ambition and fortunately more than lived up to it. The legends that surround that track, the drivers and races that are part of motorsport history - and then little old you and me can actually drive the same tarmac (or concrete on the Karussel!) is just unreal.

If you want to, and you haven't, then you must!
Old 15 Sep 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3304109)   #14
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Good on you, Allon, that sounds quite a challenge. (Driving all the way to Germany and back with Rob, I mean... ) Glad to hear you're getting yourself well again
Old 15 Sep 2013, 10:19 (Ref:3304161)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, what are the chances of getting both Allon and Craig back to Le Mans next year?
Old 15 Sep 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3304236)   #16
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Good on you, Allon, that sounds quite a challenge. (Driving all the way to Germany and back with Rob, I mean... ) Glad to hear you're getting yourself well again
Hi mate, good to hear from you. Rob was fine and fortunately has moved on from playing Pendulum at full volume on repeat ! He's got an 10yr old Audi A8 these days, so a very nice motorway muncher. Hope you are well and will email soon to catch up properly.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 19:10 (Ref:3304349)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Is that the 'toy' he was talking of? He must be getting old!

Yeah, drop me an email to let me know what's been going on. Will be good to hear the latest update.

PS Aysedasi, not a whole lot of chance of that happening to be honest. The two kids are at that age they are running wild so, in the unlikely event we get a weekend pass somehow, it'll be a quiet weekend away for K and I. Are the dates confirmed for next year yet?
Old 15 Sep 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3304351)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's a shame Craig, but understood. (Never stopped me though..... ). Yes, fixed for 14/15 June next year.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3304354)   #19
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Craig if you need some Danish spirit to help you get to Le Mans, I'm sure KpKorsager can be helpful with transport from DK (if your are still based here) and camping (He's my "agent" for 2 years now)
Old 16 Sep 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3304887)   #20
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally getting to read this. Good for you Allon. My original plan was to skip Le Mans and drive the Ring this year. Spoke with Walter a time or two about pulling this off. Unfortunately, I just couldn't make it work this summer/fall.

Good to hear about your second lap.

That's just great stuff. Good for you!
Old 16 Sep 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3304908)   #21
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Yes, you can bring ANY car you want - even your Martini Panda
Excellent, another thing we (me and the car) can do together!
Old 16 Sep 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3304910)   #22
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllonFS View Post
Re. taking your car - yes you can, but think carefully about it first. You will NOT be insured on normal insurance; there are 3 good rental firms in Nurburg who all rent cars prepared for the ring and fully insured (although crashing would involve a large excess and repair costs to the circuit). Rent4Ring were great; they briefed you on the dangers and what to do if things go wrong, also tips on how to stay safe and have fun.
Thanks for the reply, I guessed if you could take your car you would need specialist insurance which would probably be as expensive as the trip itself, depending on what you're doing.
Old 17 Sep 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3305111)   #23
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My insurance actually has a specific exemption in the smallprint that says it won't be valid should I take to the Nurburgring in the Aygo.

Last edited by wewantourdarbyback; 17 Sep 2013 at 09:50. Reason: I done a word
Old 17 Sep 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3305251)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Craig if you need some Danish spirit to help you get to Le Mans, I'm sure KpKorsager can be helpful with transport from DK (if your are still based here) and camping (He's my "agent" for 2 years now)
Thanks for the offer but we're not living back in Woking in the UK.

The race usually falls on my birthday and this year will be no different as expected. I'll be 40 on the 14th and, although I couldn't care less about the age thing, it does seem like a nice weekend to try and target as our first weekend away since the kids (!) so if I'm not home that weekend it'll be a nice quiet weekend away in the country within easy reach if it all goes to hell with the kiddos!

(Sorry to take over your thread here, Al!)
Old 17 Sep 2013, 18:50 (Ref:3305348)   #25
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
It's fine Craig, having 2 little ones myself I know what it is like. An occasional bit of 'you' time for parents is really important. Enjoy your 40th, I went for the most extreme denial ever for mine; in isolation 2 days after my transplant last year! So for me to have done the Ring nearly a year later had a real sense of moving on.