Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Mar 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3375675)   #1
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Lift needed to Le Mans

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to find someone I can grab a lift with to Le Mans in June. I am going to be staying with Aysedasi, Bentley03 and TonyP, but they are travelling earlier than I can manage. Ideally I would like to travel down on Weds or Thurs of race week (no earlier or divorce beckons) and return at a reasonable time on Monday. I am based in Bristol, so either a pick up en route, or travel from me to you and somewhere to park also needs to be considered. Obviously happy to share with ferry, fuel and peage costs.

Many thanks
AllonFS
Old 6 Mar 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3375695)   #2
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am going alone this year so have room. I line 4 miles north of Portsmouth ferry terminal, leaving on the 11pm ferry from Portsmouth to le Havre, returning on the 5pm ferry from Le Havre.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:24 (Ref:3375737)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i have room in the car travelling down on Tuesday morning, but live in kent and using Tunnel so might not be that practical
Old 6 Mar 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3375848)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
We might have space in a Ferrari 308 or a '68 Mustang leaving Wednesday from Kent returning Monday evening - but we stay in hotels on Wednesday and Sunday so our trip will be more expensive.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3375861)   #5
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
I am going alone this year so have room. I line 4 miles north of Portsmouth ferry terminal, leaving on the 11pm ferry from Portsmouth to le Havre, returning on the 5pm ferry from Le Havre.
Silly me, going Wednesday overnight, back Monday evening.

Sean
Old 7 Mar 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3376227)   #6
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Hi claude2cv

That sounds really promising, times and days are good for me and if I could park at your place that would be perfect. I'll drop you a pm and see if we can sort something out.

(Just please tell me we won't be driving down in a 2CV!)

Many thanks
Allon
Old 7 Mar 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3376261)   #7
claude2cv
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllonFS View Post
Hi claude2cv

That sounds really promising, times and days are good for me and if I could park at your place that would be perfect. I'll drop you a pm and see if we can sort something out.

(Just please tell me we won't be driving down in a 2CV!)

Many thanks
Allon
Much worse than that, a Skoda estate. The 2CV has been round the Bugatti circuit a couple of times, but will stay at home on this occasion
Old 7 Mar 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3376318)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounding good you two!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3377759)   #9
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
All sorted now with claude2cv, so roll on June. Thanks also to Mal and GT6 for the offers, much appreciated guys.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 12:21 (Ref:3377764)   #10
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
(Hannibal Smith voice): "I love it when a plan comes together"

And I said it before, and I'll keep repeating it when stuff like this happens, I also love the comradery and the willingness to help each other out (even if you haven't met each other outside this forum) over here!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3377849)   #11
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Absolutely, it's now the only forum I go on now, as people are so helpful to each other and the threads are friendly 99% of the time, even when people have opposing views. New members are welcomed and unlike other places aren't ridiculed for asking the questions we all needed answering at some stage. The annual meeting at the track sums this place up (international, friendly and with a strong smell of alcohol and cheese)!
Old 12 Mar 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3377854)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i can honestly say that tenths has been like that since the beginning. it's kind of awesome seeing the baton being passed to the next generation of posters who have just the same enthusiasm for both the sport and meeting likeminded folks.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3377862)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllonFS View Post
Absolutely, it's now the only forum I go on now, as people are so helpful to each other and the threads are friendly 99% of the time, even when people have opposing views. New members are welcomed and unlike other places aren't ridiculed for asking the questions we all needed answering at some stage. The annual meeting at the track sums this place up (international, friendly and with a strong smell of alcohol and cheese)!
Blimey Allon have we been hitting the cheese a little to hart?
Old 13 Mar 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3378192)   #14
claude2cv
Racer

This certainly seems a friendly place. I have found that shared interests have lead to good friendships in the past. 2CV meetings, especially in France, are sociable events and a good excuse to see somewhere new. On line I use 2 other forums, one for garden railways, which has periods where I switch off because of *****ing and have a couple of people I just do not read any comments from as they tend to post to cause a fuss. I also drive traction engines and the main forum for them is friendly and very helpful in general. I guess Allon might be wondering what he has let himself in for having a lift with someone who uses 2CV in his alias and admits to playing trains ni the garden and driving traction engines at a local museum.

Roll on June so I can find out what all the fuss about a meeting is for
Old 13 Mar 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3378205)   #15
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
well, look on other treads to see what has been gooing on. Only first joined the meeting last year and now it is one of the things i look forward to i June.
See you there.
Old 13 Mar 2014, 17:51 (Ref:3378280)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
CA few years ago we stopped at a little village can;t remember the name but while looking around we found an old station and a steam train plus french enthusiast got chatting and they let us on the steam loco while they were preparing for a short run, was noy far from le mans
Old 13 Mar 2014, 19:18 (Ref:3378328)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apropos of nothing much at all, I guess, but I was drawn here 13 years ago now by a member who happened to be the son of sportscar driver Tim Lee Davey. I realised pretty quickly that it was a great place to exchange views and information, but to be honest, it was when I first met Fab Chaplin at Le Mans way back in 2002 (and at the Classic that year) and after the Tenths meeting was first established in 2003, that the forum really came alive for me. The meeting has always been great fun and a wonderful chance to renew old friendships and make new ones, but the last 2-3 have been really good. I'm hoping that we can set a new record with numbers this year.....
Old 13 Mar 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3378372)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
TLD had his porsche workshop not far from me and still has his caravan dealership the other side of maidstone, saw him race in my early years and did meet him a couple of times
Old 14 Mar 2014, 07:01 (Ref:3378471)   #19
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
CA few years ago we stopped at a little village can;t remember the name but while looking around we found an old station and a steam train plus french enthusiast got chatting and they let us on the steam loco while they were preparing for a short run, was noy far from le mans
I suspect that there are a few visitors to the forum who hope your memory returns, Simon. I know there will be at least four in our party who would pay a visit.

Sit down, relax and have a beer, then the name of the place is sure to come back to you!
Old 14 Mar 2014, 07:08 (Ref:3378472)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
I will get out my old maps and speak to my train loving mate who used to go in those days, will get back
Old 14 Mar 2014, 08:58 (Ref:3378506)   #21
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
http://www.transvap.fr/

I think this might be it, but not sure at the time it just seemed to be a group of old railway workers messing about with an old engine in a disused part of an old railway line, they spoke almost no english but were so keen to show us their engine and pleased we liked what they were doing
Old 14 Mar 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3378546)   #22
claude2cv
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
http://www.transvap.fr/

I think this might be it, but not sure at the time it just seemed to be a group of old railway workers messing about with an old engine in a disused part of an old railway line, they spoke almost no english but were so keen to show us their engine and pleased we liked what they were doing
That is the only railway type place near Le Mans. I am sure there sued to be a museum of tramways nearer than that, but it closed and most of the engines and carriages are now at a museum just north of Paris, which has some Le Mans or Sarthe equipment. Of course, there are steam engines in the museum at the circuit as Leon Bollee was from Le Mans and was a major player in the days of road going steam. I will go and look a them again this year, as I do every time I get the chance