Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Who's going to win the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans?
Audi 49 28.99%
Porsche 23 13.61%
Toyota 94 55.62%
The others...! 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 May 2014, 23:20 (Ref:3403134)   #51
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
This is certainly the weakest Audi has been for a while. I would say Toyota in 2014 has had a more dominating presence than Peugeot in 2008...but we know who won Le Mans that year

Toyota has the speed, the reliability, and proper management. The only disadvantage against Toyota is 2 cars vs 3. But I wouldn't be surprised if Audi wins. There is something about Le Mans that brings out the absolute best from Audi.
Absolutely, I drove away from Spa thinking "Toyota, magnificent, but only two rounds in their gun". Audi have always been at their best when the back is against the wall - in 2011 even my 80+ year old mother phoned me to say how much she'd been struck by the denouement of the race. Audi are going in to this more on the back foot than they've ever been - and while I'll toast a Toyota win, if Audi pull this one off I'll happily salute it.
Old 7 May 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3403174)   #52
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I think this sums it up neatly.

All my many years of watching Le Mans has told me that winning this is hard, anyone who can do it (and yes, even the the Dauer 962) is deserving of a "yes, well played".

Is the Toyota my favourite car of this year? No, it isn't, not by a long chalk, but I sure as hell respect the fact that they came with a fast but fragile F1 derived car in 2012, keeping the series alive, and raced with panache, and that they rolled with the huge punches that came with having awakened Audi's sleeping giant last year, and responded with an impeccably sorted car this year. If they win come June, and I think they might, I'll cheer long, I'll cheer hard, and I might be pleased I'm not driving home this year and pop a cork or two.

But if Audi do it? Or Porsche? Or Rebellion pull one of the hat? Or more likely than the last and there's an LMP1 meltdown and we end up with an Oak / Oreca showdown will I complain? Of course I won't; I'll relish every single minute.
Excellent and well said as usual, Ian.

I don't think I'm being presumptuous when saying the vast majority of Le Mans anoraks like us aren't really bothered by who wins the race as long as they win it fairly and with gentlemanly behavior... or as gentlemanly as it comes when sparring at 300+ kph! Now if the team has a bad history of unsportsmanlike conduct or pushes someone off at Arnage on the last lap to take the win, then I'll be upset. Otherwise, it'll be a great battle!

That being said, I'm honestly getting weary of Audi continuing to win. I won't be upset, especially if the race is entertaining, but deflated... I will admit "yes". Toyota (or Porsche) shouldn't hold back in this race... can't imagine why they would but if you think about it preparation wasn't on Toyota's side in their first two tries. They are better prepared than ever before, hot off two consecutive WEC wins in vastly different conditions, and Audi is struggling. Porsche seems to have the pace but not the reliability... maybe in a year or so, but not immediately and it shouldn't be expected, to be honest. Should be interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I can't believe the amount of people who've gone for Toyota in the poll. Maybe I should stick some money on Audi now they are seemingly rank outsiders.
Not surprised here! Two consecutive rounds won, extremely quick in lap times, and superb reliability so far. Also, lineup is fantastic as ever. Audi struggle with overall laptime and the third car shouldn't do them much good... both Bonanomi and Albuquerque were way behind at Spa. I can't imagine Jarvis can hoist that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
Absolutely, I drove away from Spa thinking "Toyota, magnificent, but only two rounds in their gun". Audi have always been at their best when the back is against the wall - in 2011 even my 80+ year old mother phoned me to say how much she'd been struck by the denouement of the race. Audi are going in to this more on the back foot than they've ever been - and while I'll toast a Toyota win, if Audi pull this one off I'll happily salute it.
There is a reason Audi has won 12 times in the second millennium. 12/14, not a bad record. They absolutely never give up... it sounds incredibly cliché I realize but they do not crack under pressure. Porsche I believe is out of the question with the reliability issues on their car, which is no matter because no one expected them to win their first year back in it. Toyota looks quickest and arguably as reliable as Audi, and as I mentioned above, the 3rd oddball Audi shouldn't really do the team any good given the drivers don't have the pace to race with the main contenders.
Old 7 May 2014, 05:31 (Ref:3403185)   #53
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not sure why some think Porsche's tactic will be to charge hard right from the start. It seems to me that if one has a "fragile" car , one would want to pace one's self as much as possible and try to get to the closing stages of the race before using the speed at hand.
I suspect they will try and match Toyota and Audi's pace (if possible) and avoid loosing as much time in the pits as possible.
I could be wrong, but to go out to Le Mans with an aggressive strategy when your car is somewhat unreliable seems to me a bit foolhardy. It's a bit like playing Russian roulette with six bullets in the chamber.

I also suspect that both Audi and Porsche will look to Toyota to set the pace, and they will try and match it.

Last edited by Spyderman; 7 May 2014 at 05:37.
Old 7 May 2014, 07:52 (Ref:3403219)   #54
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is how I think it will most likely play out:
Toyota will go out hard right from the start. They will want to push Porsche and try and force them to break as soon as possible. The objective being to eliminate one of their two opponents. Audi will accompany them. Porsche will follow as long as they feel comfortable. If they feel they are pushing the car too much, we will see the Porsche's fall off the pace and settle into their own rhythm.
I think it is more likely that we will see an Audi-Toyota battle in the early hours of the race if the pace is very quick. Porsche will try and conserve their equipment and rely on long stints and staying out of the pits as long as possible in order to try and not loose too much ground to the other two.
IF they survive and are in a position to attack toward the end of the race, we may see some fireworks from Porsche, but it is important to remember that their main goal is to finish.
Old 7 May 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3403228)   #55
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Thee way i see it the battle at the front in the first couple of hours will be toyota v porsche with i think at least one casualty in the first 3 hours and then another before night fall, the Audi's will then step up the pace putting more pressure on the remaining two cars which will have problems during the night. This leaves the Audi's to run to the finish with perhaps one toyota and one porsche try to make up lost time, At the end the Audi's are caught and we have a last few laps fight to the finish with nothing decided until 3.00 on Sunday.

That would be just perfect IMHO
Old 7 May 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3403233)   #56
Filos
Rookie

Filos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Thee way i see it the battle at the front in the first couple of hours will be toyota v porsche with i think at least one casualty in the first 3 hours and then another before night fall, the Audi's will then step up the pace putting more pressure on the remaining two cars which will have problems during the night. This leaves the Audi's to run to the finish with perhaps one toyota and one porsche try to make up lost time, At the end the Audi's are caught and we have a last few laps fight to the finish with nothing decided until 3.00 on Sunday.

That would be just perfect IMHO
nice scenario... great imagination...
Old 7 May 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3403262)   #57
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Not surprised here! Two consecutive rounds won, extremely quick in lap times, and superb reliability so far. Also, lineup is fantastic as ever. Audi struggle with overall laptime and the third car shouldn't do them much good... both Bonanomi and Albuquerque were way behind at Spa. I can't imagine Jarvis can hoist that up.
Some points I agree with here. BUT

Who set the fastest lap in the race at Silverstone? That would be Audi. That race could have gone very differently had Audi not shot itself in the foot.

They still came second in Spa with a car in the complete wrong specification. Toyota should have taken a comfortable 1-2 but they couldn't. There is no way the low-drag Audi's will be that slow once they get to Le Mans.

People say Audi will win on reliability. I don't actually think that's a given either. Plenty of Audis have been wheeled back into the garage in the last few years. In terms of knowing what they've got under them, Toyota should have the advantage. But just because they can polish off a couple of six-hour races doesn't mean they will be bullet-proof over 24. I don't have that confidence.

I actually struggle to see any works P1 car having a completely clean run. I think it will be about who has "the least worst" time in the pits. It will be utterly fascinating, but I think Toyota will end up ruing only having two cars.
Old 7 May 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3403268)   #58
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Love to see Porsche win.
Respect for Toyota, if they can pull it off.
But I still have this nagging thought that Audi are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Even though I am a staunch, till the day I die, Porsche fan, I really don't care! We are traveling over from Australia for the race this year, and I can't wait. Just looking forward to a great race, good weather and finally getting to see and soak up this fantastic event, which I have been waiting to do, for four decades.
Old 7 May 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3403269)   #59
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Love to see Porsche win.
Respect for Toyota, if they can pull it off.
But I still have this nagging thought that Audi are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Even though I am a staunch, till the day I die, Porsche fan, I really don't care! We are traveling over from Australia for the race this year, and I can't wait. Just looking forward to a great race, good weather and finally getting to see and soak up this fantastic event, which I have been waiting to do, for four decades.
You'll love it mate. And what a year to be going. Being able to just drive down is something a lot of us Brits/Europeans take for granted.
Old 7 May 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3403280)   #60
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Who set the fastest lap in the race at Silverstone? That would be Audi. That race could have gone very differently had Audi not shot itself in the foot.

They still came second in Spa with a car in the complete wrong specification. Toyota should have taken a comfortable 1-2 but they couldn't. There is no way the low-drag Audi's will be that slow once they get to Le Mans.
The problem in terms of race pace is that we've yet to see Audi bring it all together (sheer speed, stint length, top speed) in one car like Toyota have. All the pieces are there but somehow the jigsaw is still missing a corner.

Quote:
People say Audi will win on reliability. I don't actually think that's a given either. Plenty of Audis have been wheeled back into the garage in the last few years. In terms of knowing what they've got under them, Toyota should have the advantage. But just because they can polish off a couple of six-hour races doesn't mean they will be bullet-proof over 24. I don't have that confidence.
It's not reliability per se, but if I had to pick a crew to look after my sportscar when I inevitably bin it, it would be Audi's. We've seen Audi drivers crack under pressure plenty of times, but in most of those situations their mechanics have worked wonders and got cars back out to get a podium or even win. Contrast that with the Porsche/Toyota crews, who I have no doubt are utterly fantastic, but crucially we've not seen them have to fix a car that was fighting for the lead. The #7 last year comes to mind, but IIRC they had been passed and gapped for 3rd at the time of the off.

Quote:
I actually struggle to see any works P1 car having a completely clean run. I think it will be about who has "the least worst" time in the pits. It will be utterly fascinating, but I think Toyota will end up ruing only having two cars.
I'm in complete agreement here. For the sake of a great race I hope it doesn't happen, but should mechanical failure befall both Toyotas they could be accused of not making the fundamental preparation of bringing everything you have to Le Mans.

Edit: That post looks much more argumentative than it was meant to! I should add that whatever happens I hope it's a 24-hour long ding-dong.
Old 7 May 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3403394)   #61
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Edit: That post looks much more argumentative than it was meant to! I should add that whatever happens I hope it's a 24-hour long ding-dong.
It's cool. Plenty to debate this year which is what we like!
Old 7 May 2014, 16:57 (Ref:3403426)   #62
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Are we talking a 24 hour ding dong in the race or 24 hours of ding dong discussions on here
Old 8 May 2014, 05:51 (Ref:3403627)   #63
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just want to see Davidson, Nakajima, Lotterer, Duval, Jani, and Bernhard on track in a Qualy session. Then perhaps start the race. Guaranteed fireworks. Of course now that I've said it, it can never happen..
Old 8 May 2014, 05:58 (Ref:3403629)   #64
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can we please bring Montagny back just for the heck of it??
Old 8 May 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3403711)   #65
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I just want to see Davidson, Nakajima, Lotterer, Duval, Jani, and Bernhard on track in a Qualy session. Then perhaps start the race. Guaranteed fireworks. Of course now that I've said it, it can never happen..
You might not quite get them all at the same time, but I'm hoping for Wedesday to see the only rain of the entire week, causing a mad rush of banzai laps from the P1 cars in the latter stages of Thursday night.

The rest of the field should do the honourable thing by sticking their cars in the garage and just letting the big boys 'av it for the last half hour.
Old 8 May 2014, 12:33 (Ref:3403759)   #66
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
You might not quite get them all at the same time, but I'm hoping for Wedesday to see the only rain of the entire week, causing a mad rush of banzai laps from the P1 cars in the latter stages of Thursday night.

The rest of the field should do the honourable thing by sticking their cars in the garage and just letting the big boys 'av it for the last half hour.
Just the 458's should be enough...
Old 9 May 2014, 03:28 (Ref:3403976)   #67
Articus
Veteran

I think a Porsche will be on pole. Ill be damned if an Audi gets it...
Old 9 May 2014, 06:03 (Ref:3403999)   #68
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I think a Porsche will be on pole. Ill be damned if an Audi gets it...
You under estimate Audi at your peril
Old 11 May 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3405142)   #69
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has this happened in recent years (Or in living memory for that matter): Every single manufacturer LMP1 in the garage for repairs at the same time?? I'd love to see that just for the fun factor.
Old 12 May 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3405301)   #70
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Every single manufacturer LMP1 in the garage for repairs at the same time?? I'd love to see that just for the fun factor.
Otherwise known as Friday.
Old 12 May 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3405354)   #71
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
Has this happened in recent years (Or in living memory for that matter): Every single manufacturer LMP1 in the garage for repairs at the same time?? I'd love to see that just for the fun factor.
Audi have thrown enough cars at the scenery over the last two years while the TS030 broke down that I'm sure they were in together at some point.
Old 12 May 2014, 13:31 (Ref:3405377)   #72
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah the last few hours of 2012 come to mind when Audi tried desperately not the win the race they had no chance of loosing. But since the TS030s had been long retired I guess it doesn't really count

In other classes I think the most recent meltdowns were witnessed in GT1 in 2010 when you had several leading cars sitting in the garage at the same time (IIRC 1st place Saleen and 2nd place LAA Corvette towards the end, also earlier with the Fords and vettes? and aston and lambo... that was a messy year) and before that the survival class aka LMP675 / early P2
Old 12 May 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3405527)   #73
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Thought this deserved a spot here: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/l...le-mans-debut/

John Dagys told me via Twitter that he got the info directly from Kodewa... so obviously someone's talking. It looks like the drivers will be Albers, Bouchut, and Kaffer... a winning lineup, I must admit, but my expectations aren't exactly high for the car.
Old 12 May 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3405538)   #74
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another durch driver, they see to come in late year after year. Looking forward to see Albers drive again. He deserves to drive, after all the misery he has had last years.
Old 12 May 2014, 19:04 (Ref:3405551)   #75
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
Another durch driver, they see to come in late year after year. Looking forward to see Albers drive again. He deserves to drive, after all the misery he has had last years.
Indeed, great man, took care of his family when his wife was very ill and now returns to driving racing cars.