Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3923924)   #1
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New F1 Team - Panthers seeking to join grid for 2022

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/23/new-f1-team-panthera-seeking-to-join-grid-in-2021/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Looks interesting, they are backed by a pair of French guys so a Renault B-Team? In the Haas model?

Oh I’m on mobile as I’m holiday but could a mod adjust my url? Ta
Old 23 Aug 2019, 23:01 (Ref:3923933)   #2
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not a mod, so I can't fix your post, but here is a clickable link...

https://www.racefans.net/2019/08/23/...-grid-in-2021/

Richard
Old 24 Aug 2019, 06:52 (Ref:3923963)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I'm available to drive.
Old 24 Aug 2019, 07:23 (Ref:3923967)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Good, it's about time we had another team on the grid. But will the colour be black or pink?
Old 24 Aug 2019, 20:32 (Ref:3924023)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't they have to go through a vetting process, before they are allowed to compete in F1?
Old 24 Aug 2019, 20:40 (Ref:3924025)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’m sure quarantine might be a problem if they are travelling the world
Old 24 Aug 2019, 21:23 (Ref:3924030)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s going to be difficult with Cam’s injury.
Old 24 Aug 2019, 23:01 (Ref:3924038)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

It might persuade Jaguar back
Old 25 Aug 2019, 00:14 (Ref:3924047)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Why might persuade Jaguar back?
Old 25 Aug 2019, 00:42 (Ref:3924050)   #10
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Could be time for Cheetah to at last build an F1 car too!

Sponsorship opportunities for Puma?

The new Tiger sounds like it's a bit of a tank though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why might persuade Jaguar back?
Big cats are everywhere
Old 25 Aug 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3924092)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Possibly a good time to put in a bid before there is any real interest from new entrants to F1. Should be reasonably priced, if you get it you can assess whether the 2021 changes make entering the field worth your while, or you could sell the entry at a profit.

If the rule changes don't work and nobody wants the entry. well you've done your money, but probably less than if the formula is attractive to new entrants at this point.
Old 25 Aug 2019, 08:59 (Ref:3924101)   #12
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Could be time for Cheetah to at last build an F1 car too!
To be fair we've had a few cheaters in F1
Old 25 Aug 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3924134)   #13
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think some of these comments have crossed the LION of good taste
Old 26 Aug 2019, 08:15 (Ref:3924204)   #14
S griffin
Veteran

Actually there was a Lion GP car concept, that was supposed to have 10 wheels and a big turbine. Purley was supposed to drive it. This was back in 1980
Old 26 Aug 2019, 09:39 (Ref:3924209)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back in the 60's ESSO encouraged you to put a tiger in your tank.
Old 26 Aug 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3924226)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Haas did well buying from Furrari so hopefurry these new cats can do the same.
Old 26 Aug 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3924227)   #17
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Putting aside all of the cat jokes...

They say they are looking to do the "Haas model". Which is some of the components in which the team does not need to own the IP sourced from an existing F1 team (suspension from Ferrari) and for the components in which they will own the IP (tub by Dallara, but Haas owning IP).

Who might PTA partner with? Beyond the technical names, the company seems to be Benjamin Durand (SMP Racing/BR Engineering) and Michel Orts (Ex GT driver from a decade ago).

What are their links...

1. As OP says... Both are French. Renault?
2. Given the SMP Racing backgroud. Someone in Russia?
3. Given the name. Someone in Asia?

As mentioned above... I find the idea of getting an entry and then selling it intriguing.

Richard
Old 26 Aug 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3924229)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with Racing point potentially aligning itself closer with Merc and Ferrari associated with Haas and Alfa, it seems both fair and prudent for the next customer team to explicitly align with Renault.

just speculating, but i would think FOM/FIA wouldnt want too many teams dependent on one manufacturer...both as a way of balancing out the voting blocs and as a hedge against a manu leaving.

i suppose we should also not exclude the possibility that Renault might find themselves in a situation where they are looking to offload their race team again and go back to being an engine manu.
Old 26 Aug 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3924248)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

I’m just thinking we have four engine manufacturers in Merc, Ferrari, Renault and Honda

Merc have got three teams with the works team, Racing Point and Williams

Ferrari have three with their own works team, Haas and Alfa

Renault have two with their own works team and McLaren

Honda have two with both Red Bull teams

So yes it would make sense for Panther to become a Renault customer
Old 26 Aug 2019, 18:10 (Ref:3924249)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I’m just thinking we have four engine manufacturers in Merc, Ferrari, Renault and Honda

Merc have got three teams with the works team, Racing Point and Williams

Ferrari have three with their own works team, Haas and Alfa

Renault have two with their own works team and McLaren

Honda have two with both Red Bull teams

So yes it would make sense for Panther to become a Renault customer
Why not a Honda customer?
Old 26 Aug 2019, 18:13 (Ref:3924250)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why not a Honda customer?

Not sure Red Bull would necessarily want that
Old 26 Aug 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3924254)   #22
Richard C
Veteran

Why would Red Bull not like that?

1. It's unlikely they would be a threat on track.
2. I think Honda could provide three teams from an infrastructure perspective
3. More teams running the engine provides more data for long term reliability (and where they can push reliability to extract more performance). I think part of the advantage Mercedes has is that they have a ton of data on the longevity of various bits in the engine. And in what scenarios they can push the performance without it impacting reliability to the point that they run into power unit component allocation issues.

Isn't there a rule that limits the number of teams for a single provider? Is Mercedes and Ferrari at that limit now? Would it have to be Renault or Honda?

Richard
Old 26 Aug 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3924257)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

3. More teams running the engine provides more data for long term reliability (and where they can push reliability to extract more performance). I think part of the advantage Mercedes has is that they have a ton of data on the longevity of various bits in the engine. And in what scenarios they can push the performance without it impacting reliability to the point that they run into power unit component allocation issues.

Isn't there a rule that limits the number of teams for a single provider? Is Mercedes and Ferrari at that limit now? Would it have to be Renault or Honda?

Richard
This article outlines the engine rules regarding manufacturers and supplying teams, as of 2017.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12...o-supply-teams
Old 26 Aug 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3924258)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Not sure Red Bull would necessarily want that
Would that decision be solely up to Red Bull? I doubt it.
Old 26 Aug 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3924263)   #25
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
4 teams used Mercedes engine between 2014 and 2016, so I do not think there are limits.