Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 8 Jun 2020, 09:16 (Ref:3980770)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Broken Run - How Does it Feel?

OK, so a bit of philosophical musing coming up. Humour me....

First things first, I know I'm lucky. I've been to Le Mans for 34 straight years. I live in the UK so hopping over to France has been easy. I feel for those for whom the journey is far more arduous (and expensive) and so they can't do it every year.

As I (and others) have posted elsewhere, right now I should be in France, in Le Mans, probably just setting off to the second day of scrutineering right now as I write this. I know I'm not actually missing anything and I'm still hanging on to what may be a highly optimistic hope that I will be there in three months time, but I do feel as though I am missing it. Because I document my trips as you know, and have been updating some of my stories from 20+ years ago, I'm perhaps feeling the 'loss' more as a result. But I was wondering how it actually feels to have a run of attendances 'broken' or even come to an end? There are hundreds of years worth of attendances at Le Mans between those who 'inhabit' this subforum and many of you will have experienced the inability to go after many years of attending.

My friend Peter ('Pierre' as he is called in my stories) came to Le Mans with us for a number of years, starting in 1992 and ending around 2000, but he missed one year - 1996 when he went on holiday elsewhere. When we came back and met with his partner, she told my wife, 'Don't ever make him stay at home and miss it. All I've heard all weekend of the race is where he would have been, what he would have been doing, eating and who he would have been with!'

Having never missed a year since I first went in 1986, I struggle to come to terms even with the idea of not going. It's bad enough not being there when I should be, even though there is nothing happening there, but not going when the event is on is something that just doesn't seem to compute...

I appreciate that with everything that's going on right now, the sentiment expressed is pretty shallow, but I feel it none the same...

So, how did you deal with it when it happened?
Old 8 Jun 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3980780)   #2
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
This would have been my 30th june trip to Le Mans in a row.
the past weekend i had lots of time left, time normally spent on pakking shopping etc etc.
It is a strange feeling but I hope we can do all those things in september even though the feeling is that it might be too optimistic for everything to go on with spectators.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 10:28 (Ref:3980786)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's been every year since '97 for me.

I'll spend all this week thinking about what I should have been up if it had been a normal year.

Maybe something will happen in September, but part of me hopes that it will be behind-closed-doors to save me the pressure of having to decide on taking the risk of attending (as I have been happily working from home and avoiding crowds, shops and public transport since the end of Feb).

In a year's time, once we're home from the 2021 race then the lack of a 2020 race will just be another anecdote in our long relationahip with the event...
Old 8 Jun 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3980787)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
An interesting thought Guy, as the last thing I want is a behind closed doors race, I'd rather it were cancelled than that, to be honest....

Last edited by Aysedasi; 8 Jun 2020 at 11:13.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 11:02 (Ref:3980794)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well be a long run for me, after the first year 1985, i missed a couple in the eighties but unbroken run would have been 32 this year plus classic's and test days. I can'y see race being run behind close doors, as this would be almost impossible due to size and nature of course. So it will be either on and i will be there in September of off. At this time the fact that tomorrow i would be heading down to the race makes me sad and desperate that it will happen in September.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 11:43 (Ref:3980801)   #6
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
An interesting thought Guy, as the last thing I want is a behind closed doors race, I'd rather it were cancelled than that, to be honest....
I ecco this.
My run is not that long as most of you (first race in 2012), but share the feeling that a cancellation does not really "count" as a broken run, but more a force majeure.
Of course the same could be said for a race behind closed doors, but then the race is still there...

Honestly I feel a bit fortunate, as I am actually "ok" with what ever happens. It is completely out of my hands as there is no possible way I could influence either COVID-19 nor french politics. So if there is nothing I can do, no other thing for me to do than accept the circumstances and look forward to next time - something we are all sure of, whether it being September 2020 or June 2021!
Old 8 Jun 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3980805)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
1990 was my first year. Missed four. 1992 as I had an exam! Then some in the 00s as I used the time and funds for my own racing. Once went to the Classic instead. Glad I did - great event - but would want it to be as well in the future.

Last year I missed because I moved to a different continent, although I followed it all. Justified that by saying I would do Sebring this year (couldn’t do it last year as was moving then). And then lost the opportunity. I am moving house again as we speak and have pointed out it would be Le Mans a couple of time, but not really sunk in.

However, I’m in the other camp on whether it should go ahead or not if the only choice is behind closed doors. I’m for it. Obviously, in some ways, that would make little difference to me this year.

I’ll be in the basement with all the devices to watch, paring outs of the entry list, session times, etc... Trying to be like Trussers, or, at least, just enjoying being able to follow the race in great detail. I new much more about what was going on. It was different, but enjoyable.

I don’t think it would have been the same for a race I hadn’t been to so many times. I did enjoy the memories of it too. Remembering the places and things I’d seen there. I wore the T-Shirts drank from the cups, even sort out beer I would have drunk while over there (although not the crap at the circuit). During the race I ate better. Had a scalextric, books, flags, etc... all in the room for the days leading up to the race.

Ayse, I don’t think this will change your mind and fair enough, but it was enjoyable. If there is no ability to go then, but they could hold the race, it would force you to see it in a different way. What is available to follow at home is brilliant nowadays. Not, by any stretch, like being there, but better than just another weekend.

And I don’t think it would count as breaking your run.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 12:48 (Ref:3980807)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Ayse, I don’t think this will change your mind and fair enough, but it was enjoyable. If there is no ability to go then, but they could hold the race, it would force you to see it in a different way. What is available to follow at home is brilliant nowadays. Not, by any stretch, like being there, but better than just another weekend.

And I don’t think it would count as breaking your run.

I suppose I'm not really so worried about breaking the run, although that would be annoying... The thought of it happening and not being there, that would be tough. Of course, I would enter into the spirit no doubt and probably end up seeing more than I do when I am there, but the race is just 24 hours of a 10 day trip and the other 9 days are just as important - in fact, the week leading up to the race is now probably more important to me than the actual race..... strangely enough....
Old 8 Jun 2020, 13:11 (Ref:3980810)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I certainly see that. Undoubtedly it would be very strange.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 13:57 (Ref:3980823)   #10
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poultry

I started going in 97, missed one year - due to my father having a serious fall, on the evening of what would have been our departure.. That was 2018.

It wasn't actually that bad - even though my father was in hospital at the time I was able to keep up with events on track. It was more missing out on meeting up with others and being part of the event, than the event itself (if that makes sense???)..!

I actually hope it does run in September and that it is an open event, or at least those who want to go are allowed to go. It will make for a completely different race, weather-wise and hours of daylight-wise, which would mix things up (hopefully).

Just think I need to invest in a more substantial sleeping bag....

I'm going to 'attend' the virtual race - which I am looking forward to. Does it replace the real race? Of course not, but it should be a competitive event nonetheless and hopefully there will be some decent coverage and a few driver live streams as well. I've already got a load of merguez in the fridge, so will be getting as authentique as possible!

I've got some home made Sloe gin ready for the traditionelle ten-tenthers cheese fest (fest du fromage) so have set aside most of that weekend for the event anyway, but I might have to forget to put the tent up and slum it indoors!!

Old 8 Jun 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3980826)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
It was more missing out on meeting up with others and being part of the event, than the event itself (if that makes sense???)..!
Yes, that makes complete sense to me. If it goes ahead behind closed doors (bad enough) or goes ahead with limited attendance and I can't go (much, much worse!), I'll be very disappointed not to be there for the 'event', which as I mentioned earlier, is much more than just a race. (Which I think is the thing that many people who don't care much for motor racing - 'Where's the entertainment in watching cars goes round and round?') just don't get....

I'm also intending to watch the virtual event (if I can work out how to), but it's really just a bit of a novelty to keep the spirit alive until we can get there for the real thing!
Old 8 Jun 2020, 21:00 (Ref:3980890)   #12
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
34 years... Very impressive. This should have been my 9th time (plus one Classic). And I should have been heading off tomorrow. It doesn't feel right. But imagine the excitement building next year!

I hope the race happens in September, even if I can't make it.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 21:25 (Ref:3980894)   #13
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Right now my broken run - 1 of 2 - means I've missed 50% of all the LM24s I've volunteered for.

That sucks*. I should be enjoying a beer with my new-found international chums right now, but here I am typing about it instead

*I know, it's one of two, not like I've been going for a hundred years, but... y'know
Old 8 Jun 2020, 21:49 (Ref:3980900)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Right now my broken run - 1 of 2 - means I've missed 50% of all the LM24s I've volunteered for.

That sucks*. I should be enjoying a beer with my new-found international chums right now, but here I am typing about it instead

*I know, it's one of two, not like I've been going for a hundred years, but... y'know
It's a bit different perhaps when you realise that you've been to 39% of all the Le Mans 24 Hours.....
Old 8 Jun 2020, 22:19 (Ref:3980904)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's a bit different perhaps when you realise that you've been to 39% of all the Le Mans 24 Hours.....
I doff my cap to thee. I refrain from making ageist comments
Old 8 Jun 2020, 22:20 (Ref:3980906)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm maturing...... just maturing.......
Old 9 Jun 2020, 07:03 (Ref:3980927)   #17
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have been my 14th this year, though it would have only been my 13th consecutive.

Pretty sure my week of watching cars has just turned into being stuck on the M25
Old 9 Jun 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3980930)   #18
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I'm much like Andrew. Although my first was a year earlier in 1985 (Jacky Ickx's last), I was forced to miss one at the turn of the century due to circumstances beyond my control. Yes 39% and I remember when I passed the quarter mark, then a third... My mind did wander to the race on my enforced year off, but now it's just a faint, relatively insignificant memory.

I'm at an age where I'm getting too old for it all - I'm now well into my Seventies. For a couple of years now I've been saying this is my last, yet, of course, I keep coming back and am still hopeful of being there in September. If I'm not, it will be because the French government/ACO have taken the decision will be out of my hands.

Am I missing this year's summer trip? Yes. I wish right now I was heading for the Channel, then heading south down the autoroute. I wish I was browsing in the hypermarket or a local street market, trying to decide what to cook. I wish I was lazing in the sunshine with a cold beer or wine in my hand. Worst will be on Saturday when I shall be in front of the television (If, like you Andrew, I can work out how to screen it....) It'll be a sort of race, but it won't have the atmsophere and it's definitely not the same thing, however much we "talk it up".
Old 9 Jun 2020, 08:04 (Ref:3980935)   #19
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport.tv will have coverage. It's just unclear if the coverage is free or not... individual drivers will have their own twitch.tv coverage - that will be free, but may be a bit sporadic in terms of coverage...

39%!!!!!!! Wow!

I guess I'm 'only' at 20%... or thereabouts.

We're planning on going in September, although some of our group were coming from Hong Kong, so I'm not sure how many of us will actually be there if it does indeed go ahead then...
Old 9 Jun 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3980941)   #20
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It should have been my 10th in a row this year. A nice little milestone.

I'm not really thinking too hard about September at the moment. The fact I have some major work challenges with the new date doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. I'd add my voice to those who say they'd rather it gets cancelled than run behind closed doors.

It reminds me a bit of the football situation currently and, with that, I guess I thought it was a bit selfish of many fans who said that if they couldn't be there watching in the stadiums they didn't want games to go ahead. When you consider the millions of people around the world who would get joy from watching it on TV and obviously the larger percentage would never be there in person. But when it comes to Le Mans I'm obviously a hypocrite because I'd prefer they just cancelled it. Especially because, unlike a football stadium, I'm certain there would still be people (hopefully our resourceful local members) who could still find a way to watch it.

So a lot of mixed feelings all round. The only thing I can find as a positive is thankfully this didn't happen next year as we're about to go into an exciting new rules cycle with new cars etc. The 2020 race is, on paper at least, one of the least appetising editions in recent memory. But it would still hurt not to be there.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 09:07 (Ref:3980946)   #21
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It should have been my 10th in a row this year. A nice little milestone.

I'm not really thinking too hard about September at the moment. The fact I have some major work challenges with the new date doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. I'd add my voice to those who say they'd rather it gets cancelled than run behind closed doors.

It reminds me a bit of the football situation currently and, with that, I guess I thought it was a bit selfish of many fans who said that if they couldn't be there watching in the stadiums they didn't want games to go ahead. When you consider the millions of people around the world who would get joy from watching it on TV and obviously the larger percentage would never be there in person. But when it comes to Le Mans I'm obviously a hypocrite because I'd prefer they just cancelled it. Especially because, unlike a football stadium, I'm certain there would still be people (hopefully our resourceful local members) who could still find a way to watch it.

So a lot of mixed feelings all round. The only thing I can find as a positive is thankfully this didn't happen next year as we're about to go into an exciting new rules cycle with new cars etc. The 2020 race is, on paper at least, one of the least appetising editions in recent memory. But it would still hurt not to be there.
Considering that the biggest stadium in the world holds around 115.000 spectators and that football is a single day event, I would not call you a hypocrite, when comparing it to a +200.000 spectator event lasting a week, as the fan "investment" is much larger with Le Mans than a football game.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 09:21 (Ref:3980950)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well by now i should have been heading towards Rouen in the comfort of the Daimler, with thoughts about where to stop for a coffee or perhaps lunch, instead i will be heading in the opposite direction to sit in the garden with my usual traveling companion (Kevin) and planning our trip in September, hopefully.
Old 9 Jun 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3981009)   #23
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How does Le Mans feel?
Empty. Sad. Lack of english accent. Lack of life in town and around.
Unsual isn'it?
And the weather is ................
Attached Thumbnails
20200609_185821[1].jpg  
Old 9 Jun 2020, 17:31 (Ref:3981013)   #24
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I'll start by saying I have an impressive streak of zero in person Le Mans visits. Having said that, I've just learned that a major part of my Le Mans plans for the last 6 years will no longer be. If there's anything I've learned from Le Mans, racing and especially sportscar racing, it's that nothing lasts forever.

Have fun in California; you're dead to me.

PS call me for a final beer
Old 9 Jun 2020, 18:03 (Ref:3981019)   #25
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I'll start by saying I have an impressive streak of zero in person Le Mans visits. Having said that, I've just learned that a major part of my Le Mans plans for the last 6 years will no longer be. If there's anything I've learned from Le Mans, racing and especially sportscar racing, it's that nothing lasts forever.

Have fun in California; you're dead to me.

PS call me for a final beer
I feel like this is your way of saying how much you truly love me.