Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Mar 2022, 19:36 (Ref:4101114)   #1
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectating/Photography at Paul Ricard

Just wondering if I could ask for some help here .......

My annual trip to the Spa 24 hours has been screwed by some work commitments for this year, much to my annoyance, so I am considering alternatives ......

Could someone enlighten me on viewing/photography opportunities at Paul Ricard for the 1000/6 Hours in June ........ One of the few European tracks that I have not been to ......
It appears that most of the General Admission areas are a fair way from the track itself and generally on the outside of the circuit but, I have a fairly big lens, so photography should still be possible.
Just wondering if anyone on here has been to this race in previous years and could comment on the spectating alternatives and if it's a worthwhile trip ..... is the paddock accessible, is it easy to move from outside to inside of the circuit and are there any viewing opps that are not immeadiately obvious etc etc etc........????
Any help and advice gratefully received
Many thanks
Old 3 Mar 2022, 21:15 (Ref:4101128)   #2
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Hello!

My advice is based on four trips to Paul Ricard, including two for the 1000km. The caveat is that I've only been once since they built all the grandstands for the F1 in 2018, which might change some access.

Park at the Xtrem Park behind the Grand Prix Burger place. Nice and air-conditioned, good food, toilets: base camp.

From in front of there, all the way round Signes up on the banks, there are awesome views and angles. For the 1000km I walk round there slowly, then back as the sun goes down. You may be able to go up in some of the grandstands. The ground is quite rough so take good boots. You'll be fine with a 300mm but there are also longer shots if you want them and have a wider lens (or a smartphone) for panaromas.

You can't walk all the way round the track on the outside, there's a gate at the top of the Mistral straight that I have never seen open.

Going back to the Burger place, you can walk along the main straight on the outside. There are bleachers there. Further on is a bridge over the track to the infield/paddocks. You usually have to pay to go in there whereas Xtrem Park is free.

You can walk up staircases on the outside of the main building to the top. This gives a great view of the start/finish straight. On the left side of the building (left as you face the straight) there are great long views out over Signes, but there is usully a VIP party there in the evening of the 1000km. I nosed around on the inside of the track opposite the Burger Bar but didn't find any interesting angles.

I have not explored the far end of the track. There are grandstands there so I assume there is access, but this was blocked off each time I have been.

Albums:

2018 1000km: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmi25RU1
2018 ELMS: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgMPC7X
2017 Peter Auto: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuybsmT
2017 1000km: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAL1nFa

The drive there is great as well. It's very high up and there are some proper switchbacks to get there, plus a couple of picture postcard villages. On a clear day you can see mountains on one side and the sea in the distance the other. It's a beautiful place and I am sad not to have been there since 2018!

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 3 Mar 2022 at 21:22.
Old 4 Mar 2022, 09:15 (Ref:4101154)   #3
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks Anyopenroad

That was just the sort of info I was looking for .......
Access appear to be pretty much what I was expecting looking at previous race coverage and some aerial shots of the circuit.
Any other observations gratefully received .........
Many thanks