Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Jul 2002, 12:33 (Ref:332586)   #26
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmmmm.

I'm not sure, they may help reduce engine stress but from what i understand the transmission and gearboxs take much more of a pounding.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 19:45 (Ref:332909)   #27
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of transmissions, talking to an Audi man at Goodwood today(where they have the three Le Mans winners side by side)he said the quickest they managed to change a gear box is 2mins 7 seconds!!!!!
Old 13 Jul 2002, 11:36 (Ref:333194)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here's that pic I was looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
75plan.jpg  
Old 15 Jul 2002, 08:08 (Ref:334056)   #29
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Great design.
So we would lose:
1. Tetre Rouge in its present form
2. The Mulsanne Kink, (although it is completely emasculated at present, due to the effing chicanes)
3. Mulsanne Corner
4. The blast down to Indianapolis, (presently the fastest section, due to the effing chicanes)

Apart from that it is great!

The only possible good thing, and it is a long shot, would be if the new Mulsanne was built without the effing chicanes. Unlikely, but it would sweeten the pill considerably.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 08:20 (Ref:334071)   #30
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i watched the speed-tribe cd followed by mcqueens le mans - the speed difference on the mulsanne between a 917 and an audi r8 is frightening.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 08:59 (Ref:334102)   #31
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Do you think I could become an "honourary Manceau" (or whatever the singular is.....!).
FG will confirm that the form is absolutely perfect : you could become a "Manceau honoraire", but you'll have to prove before that you're able to order a "sandwich rillettes", with a "verre de Jasnières", at the "comptoir" !

Then you'll be a real "Manceau" !
Old 15 Jul 2002, 09:01 (Ref:334105)   #32
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Here's that pic I was looking for.
Scaring map, isn't it ?
Old 16 Jul 2002, 08:58 (Ref:334788)   #33
Rhino
Racer

Since that map was published theres been a sports centre and numerous shops built along the straight. Would it still be able to be built? I would like to see all the buisness'es who complain demolished, the chicanes ignored and Indy style fencing on sections so i can watch from the straight again without playing hide and seek with the gendames.
Old 16 Jul 2002, 23:43 (Ref:335435)   #34
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

Another topic : as a frenchman, I would like to know how was the welcome in France, and more precisely in La Sarthe, and more precisely in Le Mans, but NOT INCLUDING the circuit area... in the "cafés" or "restaurants" for exemple... did the prices seems increased in comparaison with last year, did people speak english, and so on...
Fab I have never been made anything other than welcome in Le Mans since i first went in 19... actually I will own up, it was '72,and this year is no exception.

I now find Carrefoure the cheapest place to replace worn out camping equipment, and never ever travel with food from England, always buy local. My schoolboy Francais sometimes gives good laughs all round,(as my crew chief Michel will tell you, but I take the view I will try in you country to speak your language and learn from getting it not quite right.

For the first time this year I was invited to a family dinner in Le Mans. I was made to feel one of the family, it was great.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 00:04 (Ref:335438)   #35
theracegypsy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS

The only possible good thing, and it is a long shot, would be if the new Mulsanne was built without the effing chicanes. Unlikely, but it would sweeten the pill considerably.
looks like we're back to my original view on the subject.

I can remember marshalling the Mulsanne in the 70s, and yes it was impressive, with speeds approaching 240 mph sustained from the time the cars came in view til they disappeared. Nowhere else in the world......

But a) it got too fast for safety, if someone lost it wreakage would be spread for more than 1/4 mile!

and b) it got boring. Once you'd seen one you'd seen them all.

Now my normal post at 61, 2nd chicane is fast, and exciting with real racing wheel to wheel. If that had been the way it was originally no-one would be moaning, but let's enjoy the memories and look to fun in the future.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 08:25 (Ref:335591)   #36
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rather than take out the chicanes...it'd be nice if there was actually some seating/viewing points there.
Old 17 Jul 2002, 08:31 (Ref:335593)   #37
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
rather than take out the chicanes...it'd be nice if there was actually some seating/viewing points there.
Completely agree...

The problem is the access to those points...
Old 17 Jul 2002, 13:06 (Ref:335738)   #38
kdr
Veteran

fab

i've never been to the 2nd chicane, and stumbled upon the first via some armco and bushes - but isn't there some sort of camping/car-park behind the first? how do they get there?
Old 17 Jul 2002, 14:06 (Ref:335761)   #39
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
fab

i've never been to the 2nd chicane, and stumbled upon the first via some armco and bushes - but isn't there some sort of camping/car-park behind the first? how do they get there?
I don't know, I've never been there during the race...

My meaning was "how to cross the private areas during the race for a herd of pedestrians" and so on...

The whole place should be modified...

Nothing's impossible, BTW, but at which - historical - price ?
Old 18 Jul 2002, 20:08 (Ref:336849)   #40
theracegypsy
Veteran

First chichane is accessable by road from the internal layout, but I expect you would need passes for vehicle etc.
2nd is more difficult, we use a private dirt road off the Anarge-Change road, and you can't get onto that without car passes.We camp in the woods behind the post.

Grandstand seating is possible tho,on the outside, access from the Mulsanne back road - just needs ACO & the local community to go for it.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 05:31 (Ref:337068)   #41
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by theracegypsy
Grandstand seating is possible tho,on the outside, access from the Mulsanne back road - just needs ACO & the local community to go for it.
And buy the concerned areas... not so easy I think...

Thanks for the precisions, Theracegypsy.
Old 1 Aug 2002, 20:07 (Ref:348108)   #42
Rhino
Racer

Any more news on circuit changes or has the rumours gone quiet for another year?
Old 2 Aug 2002, 06:15 (Ref:348336)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't heard anything more over the last few weeks.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 22:28 (Ref:442169)   #44
hyphen
Rookie

hyphen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speed tribe mini-review here:
http://www.industrialnation.com/index2.html
Old 4 Dec 2002, 09:33 (Ref:442376)   #45
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now the dust has settled, did anyone find any new and favourite viewing spots? It's been a bit of a challenge the last couple of years, with Indianapolis/Arnage in it's emasculated state and that disaster (IMHO!) after the dunlop bridge. For me, I stumbled on to a spot inside the circuit, a hundred meters or so before Tetre Rouge. The cars were just visible through the trees (yes!!) on approach, braking hard for TR and then under power with the rear end twitching as they shaped up for the straight, coffee and frites on hand made it a great spot. The picture was complete when I looked behind me to see a local family tending their allotment while the cars were blasting past. The downside was that not many people could occupy this vantage point. It would nice if the ACO could have a look at spots like this, raising and/or stretching the embankment is all that's needed. Well, we can dream...
H
Old 4 Dec 2002, 11:36 (Ref:442450)   #46
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
newsflash!!

Comprehensive track changes proposed - first image available now:
Attached Images

Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:04 (Ref:442521)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Re: newsflash!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Comprehensive track changes proposed - first image available now:
Now that is comprehensive.

Good to see the LMR making a comback too!

(Can't say the same for the R8 - but then I wouldn't, would I!).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 4 Dec 2002 at 13:04.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:06 (Ref:442523)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by bigh
Now the dust has settled, did anyone find any new and favourite viewing spots?
H
For me, the success came right at the end of the Le Mans Classic when Stoffer, Willie and I finally found the viewing enclosure at the Porsche Curves. There's still some intrusive fencing there, but there is a point at which the photographer can get a clean broadside shot or two. I should imagine it would be an excellent place to view proceedings during the night.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:11 (Ref:442530)   #49
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: newsflash!!

Quote:
(Can't say the same for the R8 - but then I wouldn't, would I!).
The R8 won't be making a comeback - it was never gone.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:12 (Ref:442535)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Damn.

Forgot that.