Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 22 Oct 2002, 15:06 (Ref:410226)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brundle slams Le Mans ;)

Just a little snippet from an unrelated article about F1:

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21059&s=5

Brundle said "There's a reasonable chance I'll be back – I'd love to add to my race victory in 1990 and the recent run-out I had in a Ferrari F1 car has definitely rekindled my enthusiasm."

There are a couple of nice green cars that could suit him. Although Le Mans now clashes with the Canadian GP again. It hasn't stopped him before.

(Oh, the thread subject title. Well it's from Autosport so I gave it an Autosport type headline. Sorry. )
Old 22 Oct 2002, 16:05 (Ref:410271)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
lol.

Must admit Autosport is becoming too much like an F1 only fanzine with little coverage of any other motorsport apart from rallying. I think Autosport is partly responsible for the lack of interest in British motorsport other than F1.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 17:09 (Ref:410330)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
lol.

Must admit Autosport is becoming too much like an F1 only fanzine with little coverage of any other motorsport apart from rallying. I think Autosport is partly responsible for the lack of interest in British motorsport other than F1.
Interesting JAG, mirrors my thinking too. I've been an Autosport subscriber now for over 17 years and I'm seriously thinking of giving it up. There's far too much coverage of F1, with "Michael this and Michael that" dominating the pages. Very boring. Does anyone else share this view, or is it just JAG et moi?
Old 22 Oct 2002, 17:23 (Ref:410338)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've stopped buying Autosport. I just take a quick scan of the classifieds and read reports of (club) events I've attended, in the local WHSmiths.

I don't even read the sportscar/gt stories in Autosport as I've normally already seen excellent coverage on sites like DSC and heard the gossip via this site.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 17:32 (Ref:410346)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's too expensive over here to subscribe, so I cherry-pick issues based on what I see when flipping through it. Last year I bought maybe 15 issues; this year, 6. That includes when I'm interested in the F1 coverage, plus the two pre-Le Mans and one post-Le Mans issues.

I'm currently only really buying Motorsport.

I got subscribed to RACER when LM&SCR disappeared. I won't be renewing.

Do you think Martin is referring to next year, or just the hypothetical future? Is he on tap for RLR's Empire team?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2002, 17:48 (Ref:410367)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't know myself, but hes just been on Talksport in the UK slamming the fake/manufactuered racing in the US (i.e. Nascar/IRL).

Jason Plato also on and he intends to race at LM next year.

Isn't the French Le Mans magazine in the proccess of being made into an English magazine as well.

Last edited by JAG; 22 Oct 2002 at 17:49.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 17:49 (Ref:410369)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This debate has been going on for a while, I also think Autosport has gone off over the last couple of years and over the last few months has been getting better........
Old 22 Oct 2002, 19:41 (Ref:410472)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Isn't the French Le Mans magazine in the proccess of being made into an English magazine as well.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Oct 2002, 23:37 (Ref:410782)   #9
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've pretty much restricted my Autosport consumption to the three LeMans editions. These were the very things that got me into sportscars in the first place. It's a bit cr*p now sometimes, unfortunately.

How many people here could or would buy a weekly Motorsport rag that concentrated on Sportscars? I see that this is the least popular forum....

The trouble with the Sportscar-related titles that Autosport produced were how unlike their F1 coverage they were; in any given magazine you couldn't expect to see a picture of every car and all the major drivers, which is sort of a minimum requirement for such a publication.

Anybody on the forum got any connection with publishing?
Old 23 Oct 2002, 01:50 (Ref:410839)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by Osella
How many people here could or would buy a weekly Motorsport rag that concentrated on Sportscars?
I subscribe to a website that concentrates on Sportscars, um, daily...

Quote:
Originally posted by Osella
The trouble with the Sportscar-related titles that Autosport produced were how unlike their F1 coverage they were; in any given magazine you couldn't expect to see a picture of every car and all the major drivers, which is sort of a minimum requirement for such a publication.
... or how unlike Motorsport they were. Neither long, in-depth articles, not enough historical info, and lack of great glossies. LM&SCR got the photos right, but the articles on the races were a bit too much like reports. They should have been more like stories. When you're producing a monthly in the age of internet, your writing better be memorable.

-Bill James
Old 23 Oct 2002, 11:54 (Ref:411133)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only buy Autosport now if there's something of historical interest (like the Ferrari Farce in Austria), or to read the Rally coverage which is generally pretty good. Too much money to pay for two pages of sports car coverage focused entirely on the Audis. (The report from Atlanta didn't even MENTION Sascha and Lukas!)
Old 26 Oct 2002, 20:44 (Ref:414208)   #12
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
I subscribe to a website that concentrates on Sportscars, um, daily...

What website is this - I'd like to take a look.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 20:49 (Ref:414215)   #13
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport's turning point (spotted by a contributor to the letters pag at the time) was the utterly tabloid way in which sensationalist photos and writing were applied to Nelson Piquet's practice crash at Indianapolis in '92.

It has become increasingly tabloid since then. Don't get me wrong, it still has its ear to the ground with regard to news scoops but nothing other than the first few pages up to and including 5th column are worth bothering with. Nigel Roebuck would spiritually be more at home writing for Motorsport full time (same publishers for both mags and
Motoring News weekly as well - why have two weeklies covering the same news?Is MN more rally based still or has it gone the same way as Autosport anyone know?).

Autosport now in the letter page has a real Sun/Mirror tabloid style with "Autosport says" after each letter followed by some tacky soundbite commenting on the letter's content.

I stopped buying weekly after 17 years back in 2000
Old 26 Oct 2002, 22:12 (Ref:414243)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by I Ate Yoko Ono
Autosport's turning point (spotted by a contributor to the letters pag at the time) was the utterly tabloid way in which sensationalist photos and writing were applied to Nelson Piquet's practice crash at Indianapolis in '92.

It has become increasingly tabloid since then. Don't get me wrong, it still has its ear to the ground with regard to news scoops but nothing other than the first few pages up to and including 5th column are worth bothering with. Nigel Roebuck would spiritually be more at home writing for Motorsport full time (same publishers for both mags and
Motoring News weekly as well - why have two weeklies covering the same news?Is MN more rally based still or has it gone the same way as Autosport anyone know?).

Autosport now in the letter page has a real Sun/Mirror tabloid style with "Autosport says" after each letter followed by some tacky soundbite commenting on the letter's content.

I stopped buying weekly after 17 years back in 2000

Yep, I agree with all that. (Long time no see, mate!)
Old 26 Oct 2002, 22:16 (Ref:414248)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have only been buying snice 1995 so I do not know what it was like before, but in fact all I read is the Sportcar, BTCC, National and Rallying news, I do not both with the rest of it......
Old 27 Oct 2002, 02:18 (Ref:414356)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by I Ate Yoko Ono
What website is this - I'd like to take a look.
www.dailysportscar.com

Last edited by paul-collins; 27 Oct 2002 at 02:19.

-Bill James
Old 28 Oct 2002, 11:43 (Ref:415374)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
spiritually nigel roebuck would be more at home writing for the daily telegraph..
Old 28 Oct 2002, 13:07 (Ref:415433)   #18
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Motoring News (or Motorsport News as it's known now), is a bit like Autosport in the first page or two, with the pages full of F1 stories with any breaking stories fitted around them. But then it does diversify into to all the different catogories, including some grass roots stuff.

I buy MN for the rallying, sportscar etc and not the F1 reports, which have been incraesing over the last few years.