Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Nov 2002, 12:59 (Ref:435768)   #26
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK this is how I see it, Audi have pulled out great, that means there will be compertion at the front of the race, with Bentley, Dome, Lister, Panoz, ORECA (rummoured), private MG's and the private Audi's all battling for the victory at the front so we maybe in for a classic - If the works Audi's where there they domiate the race like they have done for the last 3 years.............
Old 24 Nov 2002, 13:09 (Ref:435774)   #27
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok but that competiton isnt as strong as it has been in preivous years. Whilst those teams are good, they arent really factory teams the only ones there are, Bentley, Dome, Panoz, Oreca probably wont be there also. As for the Lister, dont expect it to be a front runner not in its first year at least, maybe in the 2nd.

The MGs may be back with RML as a factory squad. Even if they arent though the privateers will be there but that will mean there will be only 2 really good MGs there and they will be the Dyson cars. Intersport are good, but not up to the standard of Dyson.

As for Audi dominating, well I think this year if MG come back as a factory team they will dominate as they are faster than the Bentleys and have better fuel consumption to boot. For me though the real racing is in the LMP675 class and GTS.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 13:25 (Ref:435776)   #28
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO no one will domiate next years Le Mans, in the same way as Audi has done in the last couple of years and if any would does I can not see it being the RML/Dyson MG's, if anyone does it will be Bentleys.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 14:25 (Ref:435798)   #29
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No RML woudnt be a privateer. It would be the factory team, like Chamberlin Engineering ran the factory MGs in 2001 and 2002. The MGs are faster than the Bentley by quite some margin (the factory car anyway) and they have much better fuel consumption. My money is on the factory MGs winning Le Mans overall if they enter.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 16:46 (Ref:435840)   #30
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
From what I understand the MG/RML deal (if it comes off) will be to run the cars in a semi-works from and IMO there will be some type of link with Dyson as they own 2 of the 5 cars that where built.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 18:58 (Ref:435889)   #31
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I read in AUTOSPORT few weeks back that if a deal was confirmed that it would likely be a factory deal. Oh well, we shall just have to wait and see when/if it happens.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 20:34 (Ref:435937)   #32
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the people who think that Audi pulling out is the best thing in the world have no idea how much they have raised the awareness of lemans and ALMS. Audi dumped millions into advertising, and I doubt that Bentley will even have a 1/4 of the advertising budget that Audi had. IMO this will probably hurt the sportscar world without any new fans.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 20:36 (Ref:435938)   #33
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
I absolutley agree.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:13 (Ref:435952)   #34
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi is only pulling out for moments...they will came back soon.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:15 (Ref:435953)   #35
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by choked_wasp
the people who think that Audi pulling out is the best thing in the world have no idea how much they have raised the awareness of lemans and ALMS. Audi dumped millions into advertising, and I doubt that Bentley will even have a 1/4 of the advertising budget that Audi had.
I would agree with that point.

Quote:
Originally posted by choked_wasp
IMO this will probably hurt the sportscar world without any new fans.
But I do not agree with that point - I think you might get the Jaguar effect again..............
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:16 (Ref:435955)   #36
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yes that does seem likely, although there has been no offical statement to back that up.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:18 (Ref:435958)   #37
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Yes that does seem likely, although there has been no offical statement to back that up.
But I think we all know it is going happen and have know it for months.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:20 (Ref:435959)   #38
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
No we dont, it all depends on what the LMP GTP regs are from 2004. Audi seem likely if at all to come back with a LMP GTP rather than a LMP900 car. They wont re enter Le Mans if the regulations dont make them competive like it does Bentley.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 21:25 (Ref:435964)   #39
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
If the regulations are similar to those set for 2000 the LMP GTP class will be competitive but not in for a shout on overall race wins. The small supposedly power boost the GTP cars have because of the bigger power band dosent make much differnce only a extra 10bhp at the most. Even then they still wont be the most powerful id expect. Also they run on 14 inch tyres presently compared to the LMP900 classess 16 inch tyres unless that rule is reversed they wont win races.

They are ok on tyres for maybe 40 minutes but then the tyres go off compared to the 900 spec tyres. Im a fan of the GTP class myself, it just isnt competitive at present.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 07:38 (Ref:436176)   #40
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
According to the report in autosport.com the revised Bently EXP 8 is now faster than last years winning Audi!
Old 25 Nov 2002, 10:03 (Ref:436216)   #41
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
If thats true, and it will need to be thats very good news.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 10:12 (Ref:436223)   #42
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
There has only been 2 Articles at www.autosport.com about the new bentley and they are this: http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=20940&s=15 and this: http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=20843&s=15. Neither of them say anything about the new Bentley being faster than this years Audi. That is because the car is being completly re designed.

Maybe they will come back and win, but then again they were roughly 5 seconds a lap than the Audis this year. And were slower than the Dome, Oreca Dallara, and the MG.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 11:54 (Ref:436302)   #43
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the Bentley tested with the Audi on Michelin tyres and was just a little slower. As it will be a nearly new car next year it will be quicker!!
Old 25 Nov 2002, 14:08 (Ref:436394)   #44
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Thats true yeah but then again so will every car on the track. Dont forget they will still by running on 14 inch tyres next year and the rest of the 900 class will be using 16 inch tyres.

In 2004 if the regulations are changed so that the GTP cars can also run 16 inch tyres they will be faster than the 900 cars i think. The Bentley at the moment as it is, very fast and as fast as a LMP 900 car, but only for 40 minutes or so. After that the tyres begin to go off where as the 900 cars tyres last for extra 3 laps and can even double stint them.

How often this year did u see Bentley double stint on their tyres? Then again how many times did the Audi?
Old 25 Nov 2002, 14:20 (Ref:436404)   #45
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
FWIW - Joest fully expects to be back doing the whole of the ALMS next year with 2 Audis, though the decision is not 100% as of yet. Of couse without the full factory support, but more on an equal level with Champion I would imagine. I would imagine that IF they do run the cars next year they may do LM as well.. but I guess at this point in time we will have to wait.

I e-mailed Joest, and the following was the response.

it seems that we will be inserting two Audis in the ALMS for next year. However, it is all not decided yet, but we are very confident that we will be racing again.

As soon as we have the confirmation, we will inform all our fans through our website or by mail. I will insert your address in our mailing list.

Best regards and thanks for your interest

Old 25 Nov 2002, 14:54 (Ref:436428)   #46
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The quote I referred to is from the following article regarding Audi's pullout

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=21307&s=15[/URL]

The statement is fron the VW Audi groups motorsport director and is as follows:

'The withdrawal of Audi leaves the path clear for sister VW-owned marque Bentley to challenge for overall honours with a revised version of its EXP Speed 8 coupe. "[Bentley's] technically reworked car is quicker than the last Le Mans winner [the Audi]," said Paefgen, "so we expect to have a fair chance of victory."'

I cannot see any potential for misunderstanding in this statement.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 15:01 (Ref:436431)   #47
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Yeah, sorry about that Mal. I mis read what was said for, than last years Le Mans car, when it said the last Le Mans winner.

Sorry.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 15:06 (Ref:436433)   #48
Mal
Veteran

England
London
No Problem
Old 25 Nov 2002, 16:06 (Ref:436478)   #49
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
The Bentley at the moment as it is, very fast and as fast as a LMP 900 car, but only for 40 minutes or so. After that the tyres begin to go off where as the 900 cars tyres last for extra 3 laps and can even double stint them.
How much of that is size, and how much is Dunlop vs. Michelin? Bentley have been reported to be happy with the switch...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Nov 2002, 16:19 (Ref:436497)   #50
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
True they have changed to a deal with Michelin. The thing is though other cars in the LMP900 class run the same spec tyre, and is 2 inches wider. Thats the main reason why I cant see Bentley winning Le Mans next year, as much as id like them to.

I mean Im a bentley fan but well im just keeping my feet firmly on the ground. From 2004 when the tyres will probably be the same size as the LMP900 cars I think the GTP class cars will be the cars to beat but until that time...