Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 May 2003, 15:58 (Ref:598889)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans - How are YOU getting there?

I know travelling arangements (particularly on coach trips) have been mentioned elsewhere, but, with just about 4 weeks to go, I tought it would be interesting to get an idea of when people will be leaving, how they will be travelling, which crossing those from the UK will be taking, how others from elsewhere will be getting there, and so on.

As far as the Tourists are concerned (that's my happy band of LM travellers, for those who don't know ), we're on the Portsmouth Express (Fastcat or Fastcraft, whatever it's called) from Pompey to Cherbourg, leaving Blighty at 2.45 p.m. on Thursday, 12th June. We're staying in the same place in Isigny-su-Mer as my other group stayed for the Classic last September.

As far as the reverse journey is concerned, we come back on the 6.45 p.m. ferry (I think) from Cherbourg to Portmouth on Monday 16th.

How about you?
Old 14 May 2003, 17:22 (Ref:598950)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if i were going i'd go by camel from my house to Herne Hill station, whereupon i'd hop to platform 3, and catch a train to Ashford. From Ashford, i'd pick up a bicycle and ride to Dover. From dover i'd stow away on a ferry, but jump out half way over, and swim to Calais, where i would go by pogo stick to Le Mans....

But i'm not going, though i would go to those lengths to get there if i could.
Old 14 May 2003, 17:37 (Ref:598954)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dover-Calais on Thursday night. Staying in a hotel in France on Thursday night. Drive to Le Mans Friday. We'll go via Rouen because it has nicer roads.

Come back on Monday after visiting Reims (we did Rouen last year).
Old 14 May 2003, 18:11 (Ref:598983)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Leaving Leeds on 52 Seater Coach at around 12.30 on Friday 13th. Passing through Sheffield, Peterbrough, Cambridge and Brentwood before heading to Dover for the 9.00pm crossing. Should arrive Le Mans at around 7.00am.

Coming back leaving Le Mans around 5.00pm for the made dash across France (via a Beer Warehouse) to catch a early morning Crossing back to Dover. Should arrive back in Leeds about 10am.......
Old 14 May 2003, 18:21 (Ref:598992)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Leaving Leeds on 52 Seater Coach at around 12.30 on Friday 13th. Passing through Sheffield, Peterbrough, Cambridge and Brentwood before heading to Dover for the 9.00pm crossing. Should arrive Le Mans at around 7.00am.

Coming back leaving Le Mans around 5.00pm for the made dash across France (via a Beer Warehouse) to catch a early morning Crossing back to Dover. Should arrive back in Leeds about 10am.......

Coaches.... *shudders*
Old 14 May 2003, 19:53 (Ref:599075)   #6
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leaving Wednesday AM via Dover ferry. Fast cruise down to LM, eta, about 5 minutes after they close the road meaning a lenthy detour to get to the campsite.

Joined on Thursday evening by the service barges 1 & 2 which have a slower speed and a later ferry.

Leaving LM Sunday night for a hotel room. relaxing pace back to Dover for the early afternoon ferry.

Enjoy the rest if the week off from work.

Simon
Old 14 May 2003, 20:21 (Ref:599094)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I am leaving Portsmouth at 11.00pm of Wednesday night, heading for Caen then on down to Maison Blanche for Thursday lunch. We return to a hotel in Bagnoles D'lorne on sunday night and then get the ferry from Caen to Portsmouth at about 17.00 hrs on Monday 16th. This year we have 3 Austin Healeys, a Porsche, a Daimler Dart and a Renault Espace.
Old 14 May 2003, 21:11 (Ref:599140)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seafrance from Dover around 7:00am (don't know exactly, Hurricane did the booking!) in Hurricane's new and very purple Quantum H4i (She'll have Ellie with her as well) and Tim's red Rover 216.
Returning same route Monday evening.

Last edited by Bluebottle; 14 May 2003 at 21:12.
Old 14 May 2003, 21:14 (Ref:599142)   #9
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm driving down from South Wales to Portsmouth on Thursday morning to catch the 2:00PM(ish) crossing to Caen, then driving down to Falaise where I'm spending the night in a hotel. I'll be in a green Fiat Brava, and unless it's blizzard conditions will be in shorts (well I'm on holiday!!!)

My mate Martin, his partner Linda and son Liam will be doing the same crossing on Sunday morning 8:00 (ish) in his White Tickford lookalike Capri 2.8, spending a few days in Brittany before meeting me on Friday moring in Falaise. My partner has refused again to attend Le Mans as it's "boring cars going round a track for hours on end"!!!

We're then going to drive down to Le Mans in conoy, camping in Beausejour.

We'll return on Sunday evening to Caen, for the 8:00 (ish) crossing on Monday, before returning to South Wales.
Old 14 May 2003, 21:18 (Ref:599146)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good stuff, getting nearer, only 4 weeks to go and I can not wait.........
Old 14 May 2003, 21:27 (Ref:599156)   #11
dipwing
Rookie

dipwing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and der boys (eight in total) leaving Essex around 12:30 Friday 13th June (ooooh scaring Friday the 13th!!), driving to Euro tunnel for 15:40(ish) crossing then splatting down to Le Man probably the Roen route to hopefully arrive for 10pm local time. Stopping off along the way for beers, barb-b-q's, food, beers and the like. Oh and beer!!

The way back is a 12:30'ish crossing and back in Essex for 15:30 with happy memories and plans for next year.

First time and we can't wait, see you there!

Laters
Dipwing

Ps did I mention we're stopping off for beer??
Old 14 May 2003, 21:36 (Ref:599162)   #12
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
leaving london wednesday morning, ferry from dover to calais, get down to circuit in time for first qualifying on wednesday night. staying for third year running with charming french family in their nice house about five minutes from the circuit...we call it the "hotel pollux" after their dog(fab will understand i think!).

dash to catch the midnight ferry on sunday night and try to avoid £50 fine for overtaking on solid white lines like after pq!

£50 for crossing the white-line...so thats where the aco got the idea!

btw...we'll be in a silver 4-door car made by a company who has done very well in the last three years and whose name is mud with one of this forums moderators.
Old 14 May 2003, 21:39 (Ref:599165)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
btw...we'll be in a silver 4-door car made by a company who has done very well in the last three years and whose name is mud with one of this forums moderators.
That be A*** then
Old 14 May 2003, 21:42 (Ref:599167)   #14
dipwing
Rookie

dipwing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We're driving down in a blue Passat (or a Vectra or Scooby!)
and Jeep Cherokee! Hav'nt decided yet but the Scooby is probably too small for us lot.

Although it would be fun!
Old 14 May 2003, 21:46 (Ref:599170)   #15
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
That be A*** then
do you mean ayse or audi?!
Old 14 May 2003, 21:52 (Ref:599176)   #16
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
we call it the "hotel pollux" after their dog(fab will understand i think!)

Does this mean the poor chap is Castor and therefore no B llux, or am I barking (up the wrong tree)?
Old 14 May 2003, 21:53 (Ref:599177)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
You said ****!!!!!!
Old 14 May 2003, 21:57 (Ref:599178)   #18
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should have mentioned our cars....

Seat something....service barge unit
Clio Sports.....service barge Rapid support unit
200sx....Fast response unit

Simon
Old 14 May 2003, 23:17 (Ref:599222)   #19
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be getting there by turning on the coffee pot, plopping down on the couch and turning on the t.v. Not as good a seat y'all, but my trip time is much shorter.
Old 15 May 2003, 02:00 (Ref:599259)   #20
Nick M
Rookie

Nick M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan, you and me both !

I was planning on going but when I priced up the cost of flights, hiring a car, etc., etc. it just didn't make sense

I'm now slightly less peed off seeing as it's on the Speed channel but I'd love to have gone again - would have been my 7th visit. Ho hum, maybe next year....
Old 15 May 2003, 02:21 (Ref:599275)   #21
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least you've been! I have yet to experience the joy of La Sarthe. But i've many years yet to live, and at least one of them will most certainly find me over there.
Old 15 May 2003, 07:00 (Ref:599389)   #22
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Le Mans - How are YOU getting there?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
We're staying in the same place in Isigny-su-Mer as my other group stayed for the Classic last September.
Not at the Cheval Blanc in Le Grand Luce then?

Taking the Scoob through the chunnel 10:00 Thursday the 12th, staying in the hovel, back Monday 16th, not sure what time yet.

But before that I'm off to see the MotoGP, which this year coincides with half term!

FG
Old 15 May 2003, 07:01 (Ref:599390)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We'll be in Le Grand Luce from Friday.....
Old 15 May 2003, 07:18 (Ref:599409)   #24
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
We'll be in Le Grand Luce from Friday.....
Ah! Sounds complicated.

FG
Old 15 May 2003, 08:00 (Ref:599453)   #25
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Leave Bristol at 4.30pm Friday on Page and Moy coach. Overnight journey, arriving Le Mans hopefully just in time for the classic. Meet up with as many of you guys as possible around lunchtime, share a beer or two. Watch race, get burnt by hot sun, shed crocodile tears as all 3 Audis collide on first lap etc.

Leave Le Mans (after epic Bentley victory) about 5/5.30pm to arrive home in state of shock early Monday am.