Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2004, 18:08 (Ref:912432)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race distance engine

I am just grasping at straws here, but if I blew an engine during practise or qualifying I would be forced to start at the back of the grid right??? Well, what if the second engine I had for the race was like the previous qualifying engines where they were only designed to last a short time. If an engine was designed to last a race distance only, would it be competitive enough to win from the back of the grid?? I know this is a stupid question...I just hope you guys understand where I am coming from. It just hit me while watching qualifying this morning...when all you hear about is reliability being built into an engine.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 18:48 (Ref:912523)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, we have talked about this topic at the start of the year. Personally i was saying what is stopping Minardi (who always qualify last row) from just using last year's engines? They won't be "penalised" for changing engines, and they'd have a handful more horsepower and lighter engine.

However, it is unlikely top teams would go for this approach. The new engines are already matching last year's engines in terms of power, so i assume that building a race engine wouldn't see a "significant" jump in horsepower, and hence race performance, that actually justifies it from starting at the back. Of course, if say Ferrari uses the old version engine, qualifies on pole with ease, then drop 10 places to get the new engine, it may work perfect...

But i doubt the sponsors would like such a scene happen every race.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 18:50 (Ref:912527)   #3
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm yes interesting, again the bigger rich teams could do this. But knowing when your engine was going to blow and how long the new one is supposed to last is a bit tricky.
Judging from laptimes this year I am not sure if it would give you enough extra performance anyway!

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:01 (Ref:912544)   #4
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, if this year's engines are already matching the power of last years..who is to say that a new race spec engine would be that much better this year?
Old 20 Mar 2004, 19:12 (Ref:912561)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm..in the past, under the old format, teams use the old engines from the previous race event (those used in practice/quals/race) sessions for the following week of testings, after giving it an inspection of it's wear/tear. Hence, the increase in mileage the new format engines need to endure isn't as much as what some may want to believe. Even BMW over-estimated the potential lost in horsepower, only to realise it's just a very small dip.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 20:03 (Ref:912664)   #6
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an aside, Alonso has changed his engine for the race today having messed up qualifying. Might Renault be tempted to up the revs a bit, since the engine is covering a lot less mileage?
Old 21 Mar 2004, 02:19 (Ref:913275)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Seems like BAR's confident with their Honda engines then
Old 21 Mar 2004, 10:55 (Ref:913821)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to ITV's grid rundown, Sato did change the engine, which is baffling because it blew for Ant on Friday - and we all saw the result.

I don't think this year's engines neccessarily perform any worse than last year's, mainly because so much work has been done on them. Even though Mianrid are using Ford engines from last year, they have been developed significantly,r ather than just having their revs reduced.