Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 11 Jul 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1352691)   #26
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
We actually ran out of money this year so had to avoid the various Autoroutes on the way home and go through the old villages... what a wonderful drive that was. Sorry, nothing to do with the thread I know, I just wanted to agree with Nordic about the value of taking your time and cruising down
Old 11 Jul 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1352703)   #27
jna
Racer

jna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt
>> It just seems daft us guys on the south coast in Hampshire driving all the way to Dover.
It does indeed, yet strangely I have friends who live in Margate and travel to Le Mans via Portsmouth/Le Harve. They prefer the longer crossing overnight to have a break from the road.

For me, driving to Dover from Pompey will add say two and a half hours to the road journey, plus the extra on the other side. I shall stick with Portsmouth and use Brittany to Caen next year.
Old 11 Jul 2005, 16:00 (Ref:1352743)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've always loved the Porstmouth/Caen or Portsmouth/Cherbourg run. Having done them so many times it seemed very strange not to do it this way this year - I definitely felt as though I was missing out on something important.

The cost differential then is clearly massive between Portsmouth and Dover. A concern for me - although not necessarily for the other (more well-heeled) Tourists......
Old 19 Sep 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1411209)   #29
jna
Racer

I've picked up this thread again to mention for those that use Pompey that on Saturday the Portsmouth Evening News ran an article about the French shipping company Louis Dreyfus taking over the Portsmouth-Le Harve route and using an ex-P&O ship the Pride Of Aquitaine.

P&O's service ends on September 30 this year, and the comment was that this new service was to commence soon after. We wait and see.

This is good news if it goes ahead, since spaces were going to be very limited at peak times such as the Le Mans weekend, and of course brings in competition.

I've already booked next year on line with Britanny. If the weekend is not the 17/18 I can change the booking online without a fee.

I will let you know what happens.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1411294)   #30
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went Wednesday to Tuesday, Dover - Calais, towing a caravan and paid £110 with P&O. We had a discount with the Caravan club of around £30, this was booked around January. The journey took us just over 5 hrs, going via Rouen. The Portsmouth Le Harve route was a lot more costly for us.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1411337)   #31
jna
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives!
The Portsmouth Le Harve route was a lot more costly for us.
It is indeed more expensive (£214 for a car and the two of us with reclining seat supplements Thursday to Monday in 2006), but location plays a big part.

You live in Kent, so you have the cheapest option reasonably close by. If I'm one of the first cars off the ferry at Portsmouth, I bet I'm parked in my driveway before the last car has disembarked. I do consider Dover, but the thought of the M2 and even more the M25 after a long day always comes second best to paying more on the long-sea route with a few minutes on the road thereafter.

The new autoroute scheduled to open in December will cut the time of both of our journeys next year and will be very welcome.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1411357)   #32
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Happy Snapper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just phoned P&O for a quote for return tickets on the high speed service for the two weeks at the beginning of June 2006 (going out Saturday Prequal weekend and returning Monday after the race) ...... £806 ! I'll stick with SeaFrance at £90 return and put up with a couple of extra hours driving. I'm sure the price will drop nearer the time I did ask how they justify the price they didn’t know!
Old 19 Sep 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1411384)   #33
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Snapper
Just phoned P&O for a quote for return tickets on the high speed service for the two weeks at the beginning of June 2006 (going out Saturday Prequal weekend and returning Monday after the race) ...... £806 ! I'll stick with SeaFrance at £90 return and put up with a couple of extra hours driving. I'm sure the price will drop nearer the time I did ask how they justify the price they didn’t know!
Speedferries should still be available for £58 for a standard car with no roofbox.
Old 19 Sep 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1411395)   #34
jna
Racer

Quote:
Just phoned P&O for a quote for return tickets on the high speed service... £806
Which route is that?
Old 19 Sep 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1411407)   #35
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
Which route is that?
Portsmouth to caen using the high speed service not the over night
Old 19 Sep 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1411413)   #36
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Speedferries should still be available for £58 for a standard car with no roofbox.
"speedferries" should be speedferry they only have one "boat" but the service is good. I know someone who used them last year and said they were good
Old 19 Sep 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1411418)   #37
jna
Racer

Quote:
Portsmouth to caen using the high speed service not the over night
Other than a service to Bilbao in Spain there are no P&O sailings from Portsmouth after Sept. 30th. this year. Are you sure?
Old 19 Sep 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1411454)   #38
Happy Snapper
Veteran

Grenada
Uplyme, Lyme regis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
Other than a service to Bilbao in Spain there are no P&O sailings from Portsmouth after Sept. 30th. this year. Are you sure?
I assumed it was P and O, it may not be! I just called one of the cheap ferry numbers there is a over night and a once a day "high-speed" crossing with all the ferry companies "aligning” their prices I was curious what they are charging as a “book” price. Just checked Brittany ferries lots cheaper £604 but that’s from Portsmouth for me it’s a good 3-4 hours regardless of which south coast route, so I get the Sea France return and have a flexible ticket that’s cancellable.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1420719)   #39
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna
I've picked up this thread again to mention for those that use Pompey that on Saturday the Portsmouth Evening News ran an article about the French shipping company Louis Dreyfus taking over the Portsmouth-Le Harve route and using an ex-P&O ship the Pride Of Aquitaine.

P&O's service ends on September 30 this year, and the comment was that this new service was to commence soon after. We wait and see.

This is good news if it goes ahead, since spaces were going to be very limited at peak times such as the Le Mans weekend, and of course brings in competition.

I've already booked next year on line with Britanny. If the weekend is not the 17/18 I can change the booking online without a fee.

I will let you know what happens.
Good news!!!

LD Lines is confirmed for the Portsmouth-Le Havre route.

First sailing on 3rd October and you can already book online for June 2006. Prices look extremely reasonable for a 'Western Route'!

The link to their online booking site is here.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1420783)   #40
jna
Racer

The reason why P&O pulled out was partly due to losses incurred during the off-peak as well competition from the tunnel etc., so let's hope they do well enough to stay.

I had meant to pick up on this point earlier:-

Quote:
"speedferries" should be speedferry they only have one "boat" but the service is good. I know someone who used them last year and said they were good
The Portsmouth Fast Craft are good when they are working ok, and when the weather is not bad. Living close by one hears of breakdowns and cancellations - many more than incurred by the normal ships. When booking on a Fast Craft at peak times (Le Mans weekend!) be aware that if there is a problem you will have great difficulty switching to another ship. I can recall times when people have had to wait dockside for a very long time.
Old 30 Sep 2005, 12:14 (Ref:1420868)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Good news!!!

LD Lines is confirmed for the Portsmouth-Le Havre route.

First sailing on 3rd October and you can already book online for June 2006. Prices look extremely reasonable for a 'Western Route'!

The link to their online booking site is here.

Yes, I listened to Pierre from LD Lines on the local radio this morning. I think I'll refer this to our Chief Tourist.......
Old 1 Oct 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1421376)   #42
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
you might also compare with Condor's Poole- St Malo fast ferry route; I used it a couple of years ago and found it excellent.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1421450)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, we've used Poole before, usually for the return leg.