Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 Jan 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1508834)   #1
alanofosh
Rookie

England
Southampton
alanofosh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 2006

well, the new year is upon us and i am sure anyone going to Le Mans 06 is already counting the days!!

this year though, i have an interesting problem that i am hoping someone can help with!!
i am travelling with an Insulin dependant diabetic, and we need to find a way to keep the insulin cold over the 5 days we are at the circuit. I'm sure he cannot be the only diabetic attending Le Mans, so i'm hoping someone has encountered this before!!
i have already though of and dismissed in car fridges due to battery drain etc.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved!!!
Old 25 Jan 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1508837)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Many year's worth of trying to keep beer cool at le mans has lead to the discovery that if you make big lumps of ice in your deep freeze at home using things like ice cream containers or if there's room a cardboard box lined with a bin liner. They'll keep frozen for several days. You have to keep emptying the water out when it starts thawing for optimum coldness. Pre-Freezing cartons of orange juice also makes a good ice-block and can be consumed afterwards.
Old 25 Jan 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1508843)   #3
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Depending on where you are staying, there are plenty of people these days with either mains or generator powered fridges. We take one and are staying in Maison Blanche. Ours is generator powered so is usually turned off at night. You are welcome to use this, but I am sure someone will come forward with one that is mains powered and therefore is not turned off.

Also as said above if you take a cool box loaded with large chunks of ice it will take several days to melt as long as you dont open it much.

Mal
Old 26 Jan 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1509299)   #4
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Diabetics at Lemans

Alanofosh

Don't worry about the insulin it will keep for some time and does not need refridgeration, although it is best to keep it somewhere out of the intense heat.

I have been insulin dependent for 17 years and camped at the track every year, a small cool bag is all you need.

One year I lost my insulin but in France, unlike the UK, you can go to a chemist and buy it. There is a chemist on the road from the Track to the large Carrefore, it is on the left I think, I got two types of disposable pens and needles it cost about £40.

Tell your friend that it is best to get his insulin in prefilled disposable pens in the UK before he goes and then dispose of them safely while he is there.

Hope you all enjoy 2006, visit once, hooked for life.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1509445)   #5
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We have a gas powered fridge (also runs on 12v and electric), ours is a Waeco Combicool although you can also pick up Electrolux ones I think. It works well in the heat. They aren't small though if your stuck for packing space although we just pack stuff into ours and use it as a box untill we get there and then stick it on the gas bottle and it cools nicely.
Old 27 Jan 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1510211)   #6
alanofosh
Rookie

England
Southampton
alanofosh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diabetics at Le Mans!

Cheers for the info all!!

much appreciated, especially from GT6!! that certianly gives me something to work with!!

its actually my girlfriends father that requires the info, hence the questions; i don't want to kill him!! that wouldn't go down too well!!

we were only concerned due to the heat of 05 (my virgin year!) when we couldn't keep anything cold!!!

Thanks!!