Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Apr 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1892933)   #1
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Change in start time to Le Mans?

(Not been around here much so apologies if this has already been discussed.) I saw this on the ACO website: http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...D_1267_gb.html , and thought it was worth posting. This year's start will be at 3pm to do with French elections, but the postscript was interesting as it suggests a long term change to the start time.

"In the future the start time of 15h00 could become the rule to harmonise the timetable of the 2 major 24-Hour events (cars and bikes), and also to make things easier for the media as well as improving travelling conditions for the hundreds of thousands of spectators come to see a new page in the Le Mans legend being written. "

I have mixed feelings, I love the tradition of Le Mans and the 4pm start is part of that, on the other hand it is a hell of a long wait on Saturday for the race to start. What do your guys think about this?
Old 16 Apr 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1892944)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
3pm start is 9am eastern. Might be problematic for televising in North America, but right now it's not a major concern, as I'm sure they're not getting much out of that, ratings- and rights-wise.

I'm only attached to the notion of the 4pm start due to the movie, but I'm not expecting the drivers to fire the engines at 4pm, so I suppose I can get over the actual time also...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Apr 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1892977)   #3
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
the good point is that we'll have more daylight time on saturday
I always felt the night arriving too early in the race, especially last year when it started at 5pm
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:00 (Ref:1892993)   #4
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
in 88 they started at 15.00 due to elections as well.
Old 16 Apr 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1893036)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The ACO has fiddled with the start time 4-5 times in the last 20 years. I feel like Allon. It should be 4 pm because that IS the time the Le Mans 24 Hours should start. Simple as that. There have been enough changes to the great race over the last few years - too many changes - few of which have been for the better - IMO.

But, I guess there does have to be a but.... A slightly earlier finish may have certain advantages to our party in term,s of getting to where we want to be after the race - not that it matters greatly to me. I sleep all the way there - they wake me for dinner - and I sleep all evening after that........

I confess I'm struggling to see a really essential reason to move the time - what they have stated sounds pretty woolly.......
Old 17 Apr 2007, 22:46 (Ref:1894324)   #6
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm quite definitely with bernard b on this one and for the same reason. The more hours of daylight racing on the Saturday, the better!
Old 17 Apr 2007, 23:22 (Ref:1894350)   #7
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ahh well no matter what time it starts i think this one is going to be a bit special
Old 18 Apr 2007, 08:05 (Ref:1894485)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I'm quite definitely with bernard b on this one and for the same reason. The more hours of daylight racing on the Saturday, the better!
If I could be seriously God-like, I'd make the night last for 24 hours.......
Old 18 Apr 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1894520)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The earlier start time does offer one distinct advantage for those who frequent Tribune 34 (); you'll be in the shade for both the start and the finish of the race!
Old 18 Apr 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1894526)   #10
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't mind a earlier start. Less waiting on saturday, and more time to pack and leave on sunday.
Old 18 Apr 2007, 09:25 (Ref:1894543)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It suits me to be honest, gives us more time to get sorted on Sunday night and less hanging around on Saturday.

I appreciate tradition, but it is not the most important tradition to uphold imo.

I would rather them get rid of the dunlop chicane!
Old 18 Apr 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1894575)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
3 / 4pm start doesn't bother me - having only been to one LM am not so up with the tradition, will just get used to whatever I go to I guess! We'll be there earlyish on Saturday anyway so start time doesn't affect me but could be good if it means can go home on Sunday night and it makes things easier...
Old 18 Apr 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1894926)   #13
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be glad of the extra time to strip the fixtures and fitting from Speedchills on Sunday, no matter though as we dont actually leave until Monday am anyway!

Not long now!
Old 19 Apr 2007, 01:14 (Ref:1895190)   #14
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not likey. A little early on US West coast. Previous time was an hour better. But of course not a deal breaker.
Old 22 Apr 2007, 07:45 (Ref:1897462)   #15
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Start time doesn't bother me and I'm use it... That's what Media Centers and Tivo's are for...
Old 22 Apr 2007, 19:03 (Ref:1897866)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Still no Eurosport coverage this year?
Old 22 Apr 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1897889)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
No
Old 22 Apr 2007, 20:01 (Ref:1897929)   #18
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Unlikely, seeing that Motors TV are showing it live again this year.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 04:57 (Ref:1898193)   #19
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
Start time doesn't bother me and I'm use it... That's what Media Centers and Tivo's are for...
How do you Tivo the first hour of a 24 hour race. Before the 7 AM start was okay, 6 AM is an hour earlier. Of course, you can watch the Tivod start later in the day while Speed takes a break to show some Bush Series practice/autction/reality show rerun. But still, I would rather catch the start live. So that basically leaves no other options than waking up earlier.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 10:50 (Ref:1898409)   #20
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
I will be up early, still tapping it....

Media Center will FINALLY allow me to get it ALL on the HD without any issues. Use Video ReDo to edit any unwanted content, shrink down to Divx and I SHOULD be able to get 14 hours of coverage on no more than 2 dual layer disc, I hope

I will be going to Europe soon, might stay for the race itself, we'll see. If not I'll be leaving a Slingbox over somebody's house and whatever I can't get here from Speed, I'll get it from the Slingbox I hope too anyway...
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:11 (Ref:1898429)   #21
bernard b
Veteran

European Union
France
bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!bernard b has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
..... Media Center will FINALLY allow me to get it ALL on the HD without any issues. Use Video ReDo to edit any unwanted content, shrink down to Divx and I SHOULD be able to get 14 hours of coverage on no more than 2 dual layer disc, I hope ......
14 hours should fit on 1 dual layer disc, don't you think? (10M / min)
anyway... I know a mule that'd like to see it
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:30 (Ref:1899164)   #22
closedtopracers
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
closedtopracers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the first time in about ten our party will not be attending this years race
Is motors TV worth an investment into the evil empire aka SKY tv?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1899177)   #23
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by closedtopracers
Put it this way, I'm going to be moving to a new flat next month, and MotorsTv is the only channel that I'd miss from my current cable line-up.

Whether it is worth the price of a Sky subscription is a question that only you can answer (and that I'll have to decide on too).

(BTW - double check which package MotorsTV falls under for Sky, it was under either News or Documentaries when my dad signed up, rather than the more obvious 'sport' package).
Old 24 Apr 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1899206)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by closedtopracers
For the first time in about ten our party will not be attending this years race
It depends what offers are on at the time! To be honest Sky can be an awful company to deal with but if you are only going to get one / two packages it may not be too expensive - and as Truckosaurus says, check which package Motors comes under because we have Motors but not Sky Sports.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 10:47 (Ref:1899209)   #25
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard b
14 hours should fit on 1 dual layer disc, don't you think? (10M / min)
anyway... I know a mule that'd like to see it
That was a guess, I didn't break out the bit-rate calculator either

But yeah, with Divx it could all fit onto one dual layer at 720x480 which is SDTV anyway and that's how its being shown.

Can't wait for the day when Le Mans is in HD!