Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Sep 2003, 20:10 (Ref:719994)   #1
weeks
Rookie

weeks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American Spirit Racing increases ALMS involvement

American Spirit Racing increases ALMS involvement

This is very interesting news. Im glad they are stepping up thier effort even if it is in a smaller class.
I can't drive 55!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 20:40 (Ref:720033)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Summary:
  • 2 LMP2s, also exploring an LMP1 program.
  • Sold the R&S to someone who is dedicated to campaigning it next year.
  • Drissi and Lewis may or may not be involved, as their programs in Trans Am dictate.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Sep 2003, 21:06 (Ref:720049)   #3
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Good News isn't it!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 23:24 (Ref:720160)   #4
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the best part of that news is that someone will be building an LMP2 for next year!! And we dont just change what a team runs, we gain a team...cool!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 04:06 (Ref:720265)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am amazed that Drissi and Lewis have done so well as teammates. On the other hand, perhaps Lewis likes having Drissi where he can see him.

They have been doing well this year. I'm looking forward to seeing them step it up next year.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 07:20 (Ref:720342)   #6
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful news.

I think gentlemen drivers paying to race LMP-2 cars may just be the answer to the declining interest in the ALMS LMP class.

Let's just hope that my friend Mr Lewis gets the pay drivers he needs lined up for next season. I do wish him well as he is a great guy.

BTW-Will these new LMP-2 cars be faster than GTS cars?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 11:35 (Ref:720564)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Summary:
  • 2 LMP2s, also exploring an LMP1 program.
  • Sold the R&S to someone who is dedicated to campaigning it next year.
  • Drissi and Lewis may or may not be involved, as their programs in Trans Am dictate.
Hmm, so what are they going to be running then? The LMP1 possibility is particularly interesting- if they've sold their 3C, then I guess they're looking for something potentially more competitive in LMP1- any ideas?

What possible LMP2 projects do we know about so far that might be worth them looking at?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 13:05 (Ref:720688)   #8
Waco Racer
Rookie

Waco Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that the Courage C65, Lola B2K/40, Pilbeam MP91, and WR would be legal for LMP2, or at least considered with a few modifications.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 13:32 (Ref:720714)   #9
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Kurt - the LMP2's pace will likely be dependent on the team. They should be close to the current crop of GTS, given a good design, and the right team. If done right, they should be right together. Chances are that won't happen, and the LMP2's will be closer to the GT's.

LMP2's - rumours only, no official announcements.

Piper was the first design, and one used at the ACO presentation.
Lola - been a rumour, not much more yet.
Mazda - again a rumour, probably speculative.
R&S - New story

Waco, the Courage I believe may have been designed with LMP2 in mind, correct me if I'm wrong.

The rest of the cars would require absolute extensive and expensive modifications. Check the other threads here for explanation.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:02 (Ref:720840)   #10
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think over the next couple of years we are going to see a lot of SRPII equipment still running in the LMP-2 class. I think they can probably find two of them somewhere pretty cheap and run them on a descent budget. Current SRPII cars should still be competitive and able to compete for a championship in that class (with the MGs being upgraded to LMP-1).
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:18 (Ref:720855)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's dependent on the SRP2 equipment being either grandfathered into LMP2 (which we've had no indication they'll do) or hefty revisions as mentioned by MulsanneMike.

Sure there's lots of equipment out there, but it's been made obsolete.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Sep 2003, 20:51 (Ref:721183)   #12
Waco Racer
Rookie

Waco Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LMP2's - rumours only, no official announcements.

I thought that LMP2 was a for sure thing, I guess that's what I get for being out of the loop.

Piper was the first design, and one used at the ACO presentation.
Lola - been a rumour, not much more yet.
Mazda - again a rumour, probably speculative.
R&S - New story

Waco, the Courage I believe may have been designed with LMP2 in mind, correct me if I'm wrong.

The rest of the cars would require absolute extensive and expensive modifications. Check the other threads here for explanation. [/B][/QUOTE]

I read that other thread and now I understand. I do remember hearing that the C65 was designed with LMP2 in mind. It seemed to have good speed when it ran at LeMans. I would love to see about 12-15 of these cars thrown into the mix!
Old 16 Sep 2003, 20:54 (Ref:721191)   #13
Kurt Maxwell
Racer

Kurt Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best part is that 12 to 15 LMP 750s is feasible given the price point.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 00:16 (Ref:721320)   #14
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Plus, since they can use the N GT motors, there is development to draw from and a potential to bring in some smaller manufacturers to supply engines.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 00:54 (Ref:721353)   #15
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Waco - LMP2 is a class that will exist, that much is a sure thing. There is no manufacturer who has made an official announcement presentation that they are building one. I guess this Amerisuite announcement means at least one group is building them.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 03:16 (Ref:721409)   #16
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or they are buying old equipment (SRPII) that is legal within that class.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 04:03 (Ref:721421)   #17
Hauptmann6
Rookie

Hauptmann6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Waco Racer

I read that other thread and now I understand. I do remember hearing that the C65 was designed with LMP2 in mind.
It was designed with LMP675 in mind. Totaly seperate thing from LMP2
Old 17 Sep 2003, 05:14 (Ref:721436)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Louis. Please read this thread. There isn't old equipment that is legal within that class.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=43757
Old 17 Sep 2003, 18:40 (Ref:722189)   #19
courage
Rookie

courage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The c65 WAS designed with lmp2 in mind... and they built a new monocoque for next year