Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 10 Dec 2002, 21:04 (Ref:447234)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where's the cash?

Apparently some of the crew of the new Andretti IRL effort are coming back home looking for work as Tony George has not been forthcoming with the promised US$10 million he promised for Andretti to flesh out his 3 car team. Rumor has it some of the crew have approached Forsythe about working with Paul Tracy.

How much longer can TG afford to subsidize the IRL with his Brickyard 500 earnings? How much longer till NASCAR starts using the Formula 1 business model and taking 90% of the pie for themselves?
Never forget #99
Old 10 Dec 2002, 21:10 (Ref:447243)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team Andretti failing is great news.

Did we ever figure out why Barry Green got out of his team?
Old 10 Dec 2002, 21:16 (Ref:447253)   #3
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KC, TG spending $10m to prop up one team seems totally out of the question to me and it's out of the blue -- meaning I've never heard it before.

The rumor about Andretti-Green being unfunded has been reported untrue by a team news release when they signed Wheldon.

I suspect that disgruntled ex-employees have this one going.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 21:28 (Ref:447263)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michael Andretti said that Honda and Tony George were offering stakes in his team on ESPN. Honda has paid Andretti $10 million and rumor has it George's stake was a matching amount. George needs the Andretti name for his series and Andretti has longed to win the 500 for all of his racing life.

Now all of this could be rumors, but many times smoke means fire.
Never forget #99
Old 10 Dec 2002, 22:04 (Ref:447284)   #5
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldn't this be in the IRL forum?

Old 10 Dec 2002, 22:11 (Ref:447287)   #6
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian, I 'spect it should and I suggest it be moved, also. I have NEVER heard that Andretti said Honda and Tony George have stakes in his team, on ESPN or anywhere else. I've heard him DENY that Honda has a stake in his team, which maybe they don't and maybe his team is a contract supplier to run Honda engines for beaucoup bucks and the deal is structured that way.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 22:19 (Ref:447291)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose it is the sad reality of open wheel racing in North America that both sides have to subsidise their teams...
Old 10 Dec 2002, 22:27 (Ref:447298)   #8
Brian W Keske
Racer

Well then. Perhaps it's time to unite the forums then, because the same teams are gonna be running in both pretty soon.

The more things change, the more things stay the same.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 23:03 (Ref:447319)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian W Keske
Perhaps it's time to unite the forums
I don't think so.

You weren't here when they last were.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 23:13 (Ref:447331)   #10
Brian W Keske
Racer

I believe I was being tounge in cheek

But believe me, I've been on many forums that the split happened. Started way back when....while a memeber of the CompuServe Racing Forum....with good ol'Web Collings...amongst others....

I doubt this place was much different....

Last edited by Brian W Keske; 10 Dec 2002 at 23:13.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 08:23 (Ref:447474)   #11
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see the point in gloating over Andretti's funding trouble's. I just find myself not caring too much.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 09:03 (Ref:447487)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's it. Let them worry about their own financial difficulties. We'll concentrate on our own problems.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 21:16 (Ref:447873)   #13
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's still funny though.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 21:27 (Ref:447881)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Halarious is more the word.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 21:28 (Ref:447883)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Mario: "I hate to say I told you so... But please leave before the neighbours see you."

Last edited by macdaddy; 11 Dec 2002 at 21:29.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 21:33 (Ref:447885)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get back onto something constructive, or I'll get the padlock out...
Old 11 Dec 2002, 21:41 (Ref:447894)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Sorry, Crash. Couldn't resist.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 04:34 (Ref:448028)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its kinda ironic to laugh at the misfortune of one IRL team when the financial state of the entire CART series is about as strong.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 06:14 (Ref:448043)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Exactly Russfeld

I wish I were Michael Andretti, well possibly not, but I'd love that blank cheque Honda has given him!

Now where were we?

Trying to get somewhere back to something relevent, is there much movement between team members in CART/IRL? It seems that many of the teams are based in Indianapolis, so switching teams for many of the spanners and other gophers wouldn't be a massive logistical task. I know here in Australia, there is an awful lot of movement between team members of the local teams.

Last edited by Crash Test; 12 Dec 2002 at 06:15.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 10:47 (Ref:448178)   #20
indycool
Veteran

Crashtest, there is always a lot of movement at this time of year among teams, as seasonal layoffs occur immediately after the end of a CART or IRL season. Those laid off are scouting all the shops in Indy for next year's gig. Like anyone seeking any job, sometimes they can do what they want to do, sometimes they take jobs to make sure they have one. There are very few guys who are "long-timers" with one team except the higher-ups, i.e., team managers, crew chiefs, etc.

This is the arena in which rumors start about funding, or lack of it, and rumors start about who's paying for what. The reality is that teams dialed down for a month or so and are starting to gear up again now with new cars coming in, testing, etc.

Any crewman leaving a team or laid off can say, "they don't have the money to pay me." When the IRL was formed, it opened the doors for many new mechanics and team members to find jobs with more teams out there. In this particular economic time of scaling down, that isn't the case.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 12:48 (Ref:448248)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The rumours as to the security of Michael's funding have been around a while. The idea of selling Kanaan straight back to Mo Nunn presumably had no truth to it, but a lot more has been going round.

If their whole pitcrew is not being paid, we will know it at the first IRL race when they only have 2 or less cars in action. Pointless to speculate, gloat or fantasise until then.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 13:08 (Ref:448273)   #22
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pointless to speculate, gloat or fantasise until then.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is what the off-season is all about.