Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jan 2002, 13:17 (Ref:197982)   #1
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C4's Rally Coverage.

I've seen the adverts for channel 4's Rally coverage, but I'm still unsure of actually what they will be covering.

Will they be showing highlights of each day of every rally in the evenings, or will they be showing the highlighs of the whole event after it's finished?

Anyway, I suppose whatever they do will be better than the BBC's coverage - highlights of the events a couple of weeks after it's finished...

Kind Regards,
Chris Smith
Old 14 Jan 2002, 12:57 (Ref:198494)   #2
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I can make out there is a 30min highlight show each evening & there's an introductory show this Thursday (17th) @ 8pm. (Please don't make it too noddy, C4!!).

The highlights from the first day of the Monte is on at 8pm, but whether the Sat & Sun shows keep this prime-time slot, ????

No idea whether there will a highlight show after the events, but I wouldn't bet against it (even if it's on at 1-3am in a morning sometime.

Apparently the shows will also feature some of the new virtual footage / coverage that has been developed over the past couple of years.

Should be interesting
Old 14 Jan 2002, 15:02 (Ref:198554)   #3
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
Quote:
Originally posted by SJ Spode
From what I can make out there is a 30min highlight show each evening & there's an introductory show this Thursday (17th) @ 8pm. (Please don't make it too noddy, C4!!).

The highlights from the first day of the Monte is on at 8pm, but whether the Sat & Sun shows keep this prime-time slot, ????

No idea whether there will a highlight show after the events, but I wouldn't bet against it (even if it's on at 1-3am in a morning sometime.

Apparently the shows will also feature some of the new virtual footage / coverage that has been developed over the past couple of years.

Should be interesting

Thanks for the info Mr Spode
Old 14 Jan 2002, 15:44 (Ref:198569)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Monte Carlo Rally will be shown at these times on C4:-

Thursday 17th:-8.00pm-8.30pm
Friday 18th:- 8.00pm-8.30pm
Saturday 19th:- 11am-11.30am
Saturday 19th:- 8.00pm-9.00pm
Sunday 20th:- 5.00pm-6.00pm

It will be presented by Jon Desborough presents, with Penny Mallory and Jeremy Hart in the middle of the action, and Robbie Head offering expert analysis.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 16:58 (Ref:198588)   #5
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
The Monte Carlo Rally will be shown at these times on C4:-

Thursday 17th:-8.00pm-8.30pm
Friday 18th:- 8.00pm-8.30pm
Saturday 19th:- 11am-11.30am
Saturday 19th:- 8.00pm-9.00pm
Sunday 20th:- 5.00pm-6.00pm
I hope that they keep this up for the rest of the season
Old 14 Jan 2002, 17:32 (Ref:198595)   #6
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The times do look good. Whatever happens, it is guarenteed to be better than the BBC Coverage!
Old 15 Jan 2002, 16:37 (Ref:199028)   #7
SJ Spode
Veteran

Apparently there will also be a preview show the Saturday before each round.

Plus according to info from the C4 launch today

"Channel 4 will incorporate the latest computer technology to take viewers closer to the rallying action. The top 30 cars will each have in-car cameras mounted on the front windscreen, out of the back windscreen, in the foot-well, on the front bumper, on the dashboard and behind the wheel.

"There will be over 50 trackside camera positions for each rally and a helicopter following every stage.

"Using 'Black box technology', the plan is to broadcast an up-to-date rally leaderboard including split timings alongside engine temperature, gear selection and driver’s heart-rate. Future developments include the option of selecting from a number of different views to watch the rally during a live broadcast."

So on this basis it might make the old Beeb coverage look like a shadow puppet show. Roll on Thurs night!!!!
Old 15 Jan 2002, 18:01 (Ref:199061)   #8
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
I saw the BBC's advert thing where the sports presteners are listing all the sports that the BBC are covering this year. I'm sure one of them said the World Rally Championship - so will there crappy coverage bee competing against that of C4? lol

I wonder who will get the viewers...
Old 15 Jan 2002, 18:55 (Ref:199083)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!

Well, if one of them said it, they they're either lying or breaking their rights!

Eurosport as ever will have their coverage - and I'm interested as last year (at least) Jeremy Hart provided the commentary there - with 1/2 hour shows every night, plus 1hr show on Monday!! It won't be the same will it - I wouldn't put it past them!

Also, Thursday Ch4 show is actually called "The World's Greatest Drivers" or something - so is more of an introduction to rallying for those who don't know anything about it as the Beeb didn't plug it enough - or so I understand. No doubt we'll find out on Thursday though.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 22:04 (Ref:199217)   #10
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For a couple of weeks there without decent motorsport on the tele I was getting withdrawal symptoms. Roll on Motorsport 2002!
Old 16 Jan 2002, 09:24 (Ref:199405)   #11
SJ Spode
Veteran

Yeah, I'd noticed the WRC reference on the BBC Sports ad too. The ad must have been shot before the Beeb knew finally that they'd lost the rights. The ad also mentions World Superbike, but I'm not 100% that they've still got that either.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 21:55 (Ref:199849)   #12
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With David Richards' ISC group behind the promotion and televising and with a fresh approach to providing the coverage it should be good. Look what CH4 has done for the other sports it has taken oer from the beeb.

Check out WRC.com, should be even better after the start of the season.
Old 16 Jan 2002, 23:38 (Ref:199900)   #13
GasMan
Racer

I had never even thought of checking the official site. Stunning. Hope it is kept updated frequently as possibly throughout the rally as it happens.
Old 17 Jan 2002, 17:37 (Ref:200232)   #14
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GasMan
I had never even thought of checking the official site. Stunning. Hope it is kept updated frequently as possibly throughout the rally as it happens.
I believe, though I could be mistaken, that the site is linked to each rally HQ for up to the minute updates.
Old 18 Jan 2002, 12:31 (Ref:200591)   #15
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

So far so good, there are regular updates on the site and there even is a live audio stream (how i love broadband internet )
Old 18 Jan 2002, 20:42 (Ref:200819)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Channel 4 v. Eurosport

I watched both C4's and Europsort's previes shows, and there are certainly similarities.
Jeremny Hart was not commentating on Eurosport (although it didn't say who was, any help here would be hot!), but certain sections, ie. the co-drivers and introduction to rallying, were exactly the same pictures throughout - then they put the vioce over onto it.

I've got to wait for Eurosport's coverage tonight, but I predict what Jeremny talked over will be on Eurosport, and the other bits obviously won't.

Mind you, I liked the studio - that's more than anyone else could be bothered to provide!

After the rally I'll start a poll on which coverage is best. Meanwhile, time to wait for 1 hour t.mrrw night!
Old 18 Jan 2002, 23:49 (Ref:200954)   #17
GasMan
Racer

Most definitely, the studio had my jaw dropping. I couldn't believe they'd go to the effort of something like that. I said this a couple of times already but they've managed to put together a solid package. I couldn't believe the amount of info and stuff they got into tonights half hour show. Really looking forward to seeing tomorrows. Unfortunately I'll be out but I'll be sure to get it recorded for later consumption.
Old 19 Jan 2002, 12:10 (Ref:201130)   #18
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I watched the repeat this morning, and I'm impressed. Nice to have a bit of motorsport back on the box too.
Old 19 Jan 2002, 19:09 (Ref:201314)   #19
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 4 are showing each days events in the evening. Not sure thay will show a highlights of all 3 days on a Monday (like Eurosport)

Eurosport have nicked Mark James from the BBC's rally coverage. What time is tonight's coverage on Eurosport?
Old 19 Jan 2002, 19:41 (Ref:201347)   #20
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
I noticed Mark James as well - I recognised the voice immediately (BTW it wasn't him on the Rally XS preview show, show that'll have to remain a mustery for while). At the minute I'm leaning towards Channel 4 - but I don't think they'll normally do a previes show, and we don't know about any highlights yet - so Eurosport may get the nod on that!
Old 25 Jan 2002, 16:49 (Ref:204288)   #21
SJ Spode
Veteran

Quick reminder

Rally Sweden preview show on C4 this weekend. 11am Sat with a late repeat Sun if I remember rightly (safer to check your TV listings).

Then next Friday it all starts again
Old 25 Jan 2002, 17:39 (Ref:204310)   #22
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
Quote:
Originally posted by SJ Spode
Quick reminder

Rally Sweden preview show on C4 this weekend. 11am Sat with a late repeat Sun if I remember rightly (safer to check your TV listings).

Then next Friday it all starts again

Yay! This coverage is sooo great

The BBC should hang their heads in shame for giving us such terrible coverage. I HATE THE BBC!

Last edited by LucaBadoer; 25 Jan 2002 at 17:40.
Old 27 Jan 2002, 16:28 (Ref:205353)   #23
GasMan
Racer

Ouch, I missed this. Didn't even realise it was on. The rerun is on at 00:55 later on this evening (tomorrow I should say). Looking forward to seeing it again. Strange how someone can get so attached to motorsport isn't it.
Old 29 Jan 2002, 09:59 (Ref:206167)   #24
MJB RETURNS
Racer

MJB RETURNS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
much better coverge then that other thing on itv(f1).does any one know the viewing numbers or if it was popular show?
Old 30 Jan 2002, 17:24 (Ref:206645)   #25
SJ Spode
Veteran

Advanced warning. The C4 coverage of the Swedish WRC round looks to be starting at 7.30pm-ish each night.

I wouldn't want anyone to tune in @ 8pm to catch the end credits D'Oh!!!!

Anyway to be safe 'check local press for details' as they say