Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2147577)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 2008 round 1 - Australian GP, Melbourne (14/03/08-16/03/08).

Finally, off season is pretty much gone and we have an imminent race to look forward to.

I'm not feeling particularly excited, but it's good to have F1 back all the same.

The season encompasses 18 rounds, ending in Brazil again. Races include the new nighttime street venue in Singapore, the European GP. The German GP returns at Hockenheim for this year too.

Ferrari look to be the pace setters right now, with McLaren a little behind and then the rest is a mixed bag. Hopefully we will get a competitive year. I personally hope for a Williams win at some point.

2008 entries
 DriverTeamNationalityNo.2007
Kimi RaikkonenFerrariFinland11st
Felipe MassaFerrariBrazil24th
Nick HeidfeldBMW SauberGermany35th
Robert KubicaBMW SauberPoland46th
Fernando AlonsoRenaultSpain53rd
Nelson PiquetRenaultBrazil6N/A
Nico RosbergWilliamsGermany79th
Kazuki NakajimaWilliamsJapan822nd
David CoulthardRed BullBritain910th
Mark WebberRed BullAustralia1012th
Jarno TrulliToyotaItaly1113th
Timo GlockToyotaGermany12N/A
Sebastien BourdaisScuderia Toro RossoFrance14N/A
Sebastien VettelScuderia Toro RossoGermany1514th
Jenson ButtonHondaBritain1615th
Rubens BarrichelloHondaBrazil1720th=
Takuma SatoSuper AguriJapan1817th
Anthony DavidsonSuper AguriBritain1920th=
Adrian SutilForce IndiaGermany2019th
Giancarlo FisichellaForce IndiaItaly218th
Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-MercedesBritain222nd
Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-MercedesFinland237th

Australian GP: recent results
Year1st place2nd place3rd place
2007Kimi RaikkonenFernando AlonsoLewis Hamilton
2006Fernando AlonsoKimi RaikkonenRalf Schumacher
2005Giancarlo FisichellaRubens BarrichelloFernando Alonso
2004Michael SchumacherRubens BarrichelloFernando Alonso
2003David CoulthardJuan Pablo MontoyaKimi Raikkonen

DriverLaptime
2007 fastest lapKimi Raikkonen1m25.235
2007 pole positionKimi Raikkonen1m26.072
Lap recordMichael Schumacher1m24.125(set in 2004)

Circuit stuff
Track map
Timetable
Event artwork

Forum links
Chat room
Predictions competition
Fantasy competition

Car graphics by www.andyblackmoredesign.com.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 9 Mar 2008 at 19:25.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2147646)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Just thought I would add a weather link...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0094
Old 9 Mar 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2147649)   #3
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice intro - Just spotted your deliberate mistake - European GP is at Valencia.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2147651)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course, the Hockenheim race is the German GP this year.

It's too confusing for me.
Old 9 Mar 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2147660)   #5
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Of course, the Hockenheim race is the German GP this year.

It's too confusing for me.
I think you have Nascar on your mind this evening
Old 9 Mar 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2147662)   #6
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice start Knowlesy, love the graphics - nice touch
Old 9 Mar 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2147801)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'm not feeling particularly excited, but it's good to have F1 back all the same.
Neither I but as you said it's good to be back on action, less talk and more speed...
Old 9 Mar 2008, 23:27 (Ref:2147870)   #8
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Well I'm really excited - there's nothing else like it
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2148148)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I'm looking forward to it - after all the rubbish last year and an off-season dominated by its after-effects, I'm ready to forget all that and see some racing again. I may even haul myself out of bed to watch it live...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 10 Mar 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2148209)   #10
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm getting rather excited about it, I must say. It's tinged with a slight bit of anticipation of an anti-climax though - I fear Ferrari are just going to run away with it and we'll be left with a season as dull as the TGF glory years. But hey, mid-field looks close and as Knowlesy has said there's a certain Williams car to keep an eye out for this year!

Given that this could be the last season opener at "Silly O'Clock" I'll be getting up, just for old time's sake. I'm just going to be somewhat happy to see some cars circulating at high speed on my telly again.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2148229)   #11
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Top drawer intro as usual Knowles, boy that extra week wait this year seemed cruel and unusual.

Yeah Williams even looks good in the graphic (esp. next to RBR). I'll be interesting for me to see how Mario Thiessen and his constellation come together this year - taking the next step, and all that jazz. I knows they got it in 'em.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2148548)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It will be a Ferrari 1-2 without doubt.

Ferrari have always had an advantage at Melbourne, then the others seem to catch up in the following rounds.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2148561)   #13
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As ever great stuff Knowles and I love the pictures - for those us us who dislike reading its a real help.

Well done Andy Blackmoredesign for the great cars (what an amazing coincidence to have a name with the word design in when you are so great at graphics - is that freaky or what?)

Looks a great mix of youth and old farts, which should be fab without all the normal electonic gizmos.

And, all those German drivers and not a Shoemaker in sight!

Flip - where on earth are we going to vent our male hormonal frustrations?
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2148576)   #14
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
It will be a Ferrari 1-2 without doubt.

Ferrari have always had an advantage at Melbourne, then the others seem to catch up in the following rounds.

Who knows Ferrari might even have time to deliver the mail on the way round they will be that far in front
Old 10 Mar 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2148628)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nice intro there Knowlesy.

39 degrees C on Friday! I hope that they all got their cooling issues sorted out!

What's the chance of a 'rain storm' in that sort of heat I wonder?
Old 10 Mar 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2148643)   #16
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I might miss this one owing to my girlfriend's birthday celebrations (unless I can get to a tv while she's sleeping). But I hope it's an action-packed start to an interesting season. Raikkonen means business now and one year of his sheer awesome speed on full display will do F1 little damage. Hamilton could be knocking by 2009!

Anyway, I'll be most interested in seeing how Alonso stacks up against the BMW drivers. Rosberg in the mix?

Can't wait!
Old 10 Mar 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2148708)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Hi all. Pleased you like the graphics. Were just putting the finishing touches to a F1 Spotters Guide. This will go-online Wednesday (probably) and be available in PDF form. Same car and helmet images as first page. ickle preview....

Also, if you look at the smilies list and scroll down, you might find some new additions.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2148757)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is probably a better source for Weather forecast:

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDV10450.shtml

37, 35 and 35 for Friday through Sunday.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2148788)   #19
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be in the Jones stand, right at turn 1 - and can't wait - first viewing of an F1 car live for me....
Old 11 Mar 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2148984)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The word is that the "midfield" is very tight this year, midfield seeming to mean anyone behind McLaren and Ferrari right back to any team that generally doesn't get out of Q3.

It was certainly close last year. I do wonder if this won't be the case as much as people are thinking though. Perhaps BMW, Williams or Renault for instance could pull out a distinct advantage over the others. There could be a clearer pecking order developing than people think.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2149071)   #21
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Certainly the midfield will be interesting, it seems all teams are optomistic from BMW down to STR, even Honda are making noises about points.
That leaves the two at the front, SA at the back and a gaggle of cars with a mixture of veterans and young guns all out to prove something.
Could spring some surprises (I hope!)
Old 11 Mar 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2149092)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
With it looking likely that Ferrari will run away with McLaren a similar gap ahead of eveyone else, I suppose the key questions that wants answering is:

Will Alonso be able to challenge again before long with Renault and if not how will he cope with it? How soon will Piquet, or anyone else that threatens him get on his nerves?

Will BMW show well here and then nab their first win before the year is out? If they are competitive enough will Kubica or Heidfeld come out on top? - Whoever comes out 2nd best is likely to make way end of season?

Can Red Bull take that car and make it a regularly reliable proposition starting in Melbourne? If so surely Webber will be in with a sniff of a few podiums?
Old 11 Mar 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2149227)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer

Will Alonso be able to challenge again before long with Renault and if not how will he cope with it? How soon will Piquet, or anyone else that threatens him get on his nerves?
Alonso is talking about race wins mid-season.If this doesn't happen he can always blame his team mate for not pushing him hard enough. Teddy's at the ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Will BMW show well here and then nab their first win before the year is out? If they are competitive enough will Kubica or Heidfeld come out on top? - Whoever comes out 2nd best is likely to make way end of season?
BMW appear to have,at best,stood still,if not actually stepped backwards.Heidfeld will make the best of what he's given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuntere
Can Red Bull take that car and make it a regularly reliable proposition starting in Melbourne? If so surely Webber will be in with a sniff of a few podiums?
It seems that the entire field (except for poor SA) are hoping for podiums! The RedBull is now more reliable,so points shouldn't be a problem for either driver.Podiums will depend on circumstances rather than sheer pace.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 18:57 (Ref:2149350)   #24
adamaca
Rookie

adamaca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know if any of the practice sessions are on tv?
I remember last year setanta ireland used to show them.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2149506)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I just hope we see a good race with *hopefully* some overtaking at the front.