Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 30 Jan 2004, 09:06 (Ref:856100)   #1
Ratbag
Rookie

Ratbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shifter kart Question

Hi from Australia

There doesnt seem to be any action at the kart forum so i am hopeing i can get some good advise hear. I am totaly a newbe and just discovered my passion for shifter karts(superkarts) but must wait another month befor i can get to a meet and check it out properly.

I would like to know roughly what sort of hours you might get from lets say a CR125 of RS125 motor given nothing out of the ordanary happens? I know this is a general Question but A general answer will do. Just want to know how many times a season(6-7 events) you might get a rebuild,not for unforseen failure but regarding wear and performance..

Also if i could get a very rough idea on the kind of miles/km or hours/races slicks might last?

Any advice would be appreciated but remember i will be bottom end of the food chain and looking to get as much out of things as possible as aposed to some guys who i am sure have rebuilt everything between each race meet lol Just want to have fun at first till budget will alow me to bigger and better.

Peace,
Ratbag
Old 30 Jan 2004, 12:39 (Ref:856312)   #2
JnrJnr
Racer

England
North West
JnrJnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont know what kind of response (if century sees the post he may have some advice) you will get here - maybe try posting on http://www.karting.co.uk/ because it is quite an active karting forum. Not sure if they will be any help though because as the name suggests it is UK only, but its worth a try!!!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 09:59 (Ref:857356)   #3
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RS125 I think a piston is 500km and rings at 1/2 that, cranks about 1500km and then depending on year either replace or rebuild.

A CR125 will proabably last longer but won't have the same HP as a RS

I run my slicks for three meetings (TZ250 Superkart) but could probably do five before they are really shot.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:857505)   #4
Ratbag
Rookie

Ratbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanx Warrick

Yes i thought about 4-5 meets on a 125 slicks if you are on a budget. I gues i would only have to full rebuild once per year on average regarding performance and wear and excluding failure and perhaps a few top ends.

Thanx for your help champion.

Regards,
Ratbag
Old 31 Jan 2004, 20:47 (Ref:858011)   #5
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are lazy like me,you run the rings a bit longer and just change them when you change the piston, we average 100km per meeting so do it every 6 meetings,some people have done 800km but if a piston lets go its a big engine bill$.

Several compounds may be available for the slicks,I always ran the softest but our races are only about 15-30km long
Old 3 Feb 2004, 12:29 (Ref:861299)   #6
monkeyracer
Rookie

monkeyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ratbag,
Depends which tyres you can use. Last year we ran Dunlop DAH slicks. They were pretty soft. Only competative for 1 meeting and shot after 3-4. Sometimes as much as 4-5 tenths between brand new and 3rd race of the day!! Also had a go with Dunlop SL4 which are very consistent(1-2 tenths between brand new and old) and you can get alot of running out of them. 5-6 meetings. I,ve even heard of 120k been put on them and still be not far of the pace.

BTW, this is what we use for short circuit racing. People tend to use Maxxis for long circuits but i dont know too much about this.

Hope this is some help.

MONK.