Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Jun 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1318442)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marketing @ Milwaukee and New Title Sponsor for Cleveland

Couple of issues that no one has brought up that I thought were pretty interesting.

1. Promo for Milwaukee will include a some sort of salute to the armed forces with General Franks being the special guest. That's fairly significant on its own, but in addition current or former members of the armed services are allowed FREE entry. Obviously if they can create some fans this will work out well, but it brings up some questions. eg. Were ticket sales really poor and they have enough room that all expected millitary people can fit?

2. It sounds like Sherwin Williams will be the title sponsor for Cleveland, although the official announcement hasn't been made. I can't remember where I read that, RM I think? That's good news.

Thoughts?
Old 2 Jun 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1318456)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
That's fairly significant on its own, but in addition current or former members of the armed services are allowed FREE entry.
NASCAR does stuff related to the armed forces all the time (including linking up live to Iraq where soldiers sometimes give the command to start the engines etc), so I don't think it's so odd to hear Champ Car is doing it as well.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1319567)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heck, there's the National Guard sponsoring the 16 and the Army itself sponsoring the 01 car in NASCAR...
Old 4 Jun 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1320102)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Couple of issues that no one has brought up that I thought were pretty interesting.

1. Promo for Milwaukee will include a some sort of salute to the armed forces with General Franks being the special guest. That's fairly significant on its own, but in addition current or former members of the armed services are allowed FREE entry. Obviously if they can create some fans this will work out well, but it brings up some questions. eg. Were ticket sales really poor and they have enough room that all expected millitary people can fit?

2. It sounds like Sherwin Williams will be the title sponsor for Cleveland, although the official announcement hasn't been made. I can't remember where I read that, RM I think? That's good news.

Thoughts?
The Armed Forces promo apparently did ZERO for their gate...

The place looked so empty you could've tossed a hand grenade anywhere in
the grandstands and no one would've been hit by the schrappnel...

If they draw like that on an oval like Milwaukee, they should dump ovals entirely and stick with the overseas or steet race plans...because today seemed to indicate that Milwaukee couldn't care less about Champ Car...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Jun 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1320122)   #5
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sure didn't look like much of a crowd there today.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 22:59 (Ref:1320226)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No kidding, I think it was definately down from last year. I imagined with the armed forces promo the place would be packed. Brutal stuff, I just don't get it. What went wrong?
Old 4 Jun 2005, 23:33 (Ref:1320250)   #7
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
I read the Milwaukee newspaper online. They didn't play up the all-American front row. The weather forecast had a 40% probability of rain. The ARCA race was red-flagged later in the afternoon for 40 minutes due to rain.

Still it is hard to figure where it went wrong.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1320382)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
Heck, there's the National Guard sponsoring the 16 and the Army itself sponsoring the 01 car in NASCAR...
Don't forget the Air Force being a secondary sponsor on Rudd's #21 Ford as well as the Navy and Coast Guard sponsoring two separate Busch Series teams.

The Army is very happy with its $16 million/year sponsorship, and they credit the Cup sponsorship with producing around 35,000-40,000 recruitment leads each year.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1320458)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Air Force sponsors a car in the Speed World Challenge too, and they were very actively recruiting at Road Atlanta. I interviewed a young man who was in the Reserves who had been given an 'internship' for the race weekend specifically because he was interested in a civilian job fabricating race cars. Air Force recruiters tried to recruit any children I might have of the right age, and wanted to sign them up right away for a blitz. A very large percentage of the Armed Services come from the Old Confederacy states.

How many people are they announcing were at Milwaukee? Or are they?
Old 5 Jun 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1320480)   #10
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Robin Miller talked about a crowd in the 8,000 range (not the 26,000 which was announced). Phoenix like numbers I'm afraid.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1320518)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steve Ballard of the Indy Star estimated it at 12,000...the 26,000 figure was how many tickets were out (I assume with the free tix to military)....

Interesting note, was tyhat Ballard thought the start time of noon was a hinderance to the crowd size...can't understand why he thinks that...I've been to many races with noontime starts that were very well attended....

The Noon Start was for CBS...they followed the race with Golf...and that is why it became a timed event...so that the race could conclude and the post-race interivews & victory celebration, Paul doing donuts, etc. could be part of the telecast....

The four laps wouldn't have made any difference in theoutcome...PT had the field covered all day long....

His pass of Vasser was a classic...as was Servia's of Bordais later in the race...

Old 5 Jun 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1320520)   #12
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Interesting note, was tyhat Ballard thought the start time of noon was a hinderance to the crowd size...can't understand why he thinks that...I've been to many races with noontime starts that were very well attended....
Robin Miller had the same view about the noon start on a Saturday. He compared it to the IRL show in Phoenix (where attendance was very poor).
Old 5 Jun 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1320542)   #13
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
It will be very interesting to see what the crowd is for the Cleveland race considering they have made it a late June rather than an early July race.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1320550)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Cleveland usually does quite well...and it is one of my favorites of the entire season...

I think it will do just fine....

Old 5 Jun 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1320554)   #15
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No kidding, I think it was definately down from last year. I imagined with the armed forces promo the place would be packed. Brutal stuff, I just don't get it. What went wrong?
I am not sure what went wrong, one thing is that it was on saturday, even though the last 2 races there were saturday night, I am still used to seeing it on sunday afternoon, I thouhgt it was on Sunday until 4 days before the race. They promoted it a little but still not very much, There was more promotion for last years AJ race thing. The champ car race needs more promotion or something

And one other thing is the race it self they need to find a package where the cars can pass, they used too pass, but ever scince I have been going, it usely is a parade with little pasing like yesterday.

On the race itself, I think Oriol, AJ Almindinger, and Wilson were great, Yeah Tracy was pretty good too
Old 9 Jun 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1324042)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Milwaukee was on Saturday this year in order to get it on network TV.

Quote:
...the Cuyahoga County Board of Commissioners will once again serve as an official sponsor of the 2005 Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland Presented by U.S. Bank.

For the first time since 1994, Budweiser will return to the Grand Prix through its association with the House of LaRose, the local distributor for the King of Beers. "We are thrilled to be back as the Official Beer of the Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland..."
Link
Old 9 Jun 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1324045)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Oh yeah...
Regarding Budweiser...
I forgot to add something...