Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Oct 2003, 00:43 (Ref:752801)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2004 "gt" rules for GrandAM

now i think there rule package sound okay, a nice mix for the GT class, but it is clearly a frankenstein, JGTC cars, front drive cars converted to real wheel (opening up the Door to SCCA GT 2,3,4 class cars so fields can be HUGE), GTS cars can come over from ALMS and trounce most of the field if not all and the DP's.
although it does let the Independent and crafty beavers to put a car together in these rules
from Grand-Am wb site
The GT class for 2004 will be comprised of three distinct preparation methods, all designed to have cars at a similar competition level for GT class racing.

Prep 1. Unibody GT: Cars prepared to this method will most closely resemble “FIA” or “ACO” GT preparation levels. Cars will be restricted via air inlet restrictors with sealed intake plenum air boxes and/or by RPM limits. GTS cars that have a history with Grand American may be included in this preparation method.

Prep 2. Semi-Tube GT: Cars prepared to this method will be cars that do not naturally fit into the “FIA” or “ACO” preparation mold. They may be front-wheel drive cars in production converted to rear-wheel drive or they may be cars that have physical limits that make them uncompetitive in GT under the strict interpretation of “FIA”-style rules. Specified semi-tube frame construction will be allowed.

Prep 3. Full-tube framed GT: Cars prepared to this method will be normally aspirated cars that were previously classified in GTS. These cars will be prepared using basic safety rules with limitations on their performance potential to be compatible with the GT class cars.

All in all a very exciting proposal to spice up the competition- if this works, it may be an axe to the ALMS throat, as it would have very evry big fields from the SCCA...

The SGS class (a touring car 'quasi GT' class from last year- kinda like Speed GT
is not so open as models go
Approved Models - Grand American has developed these specifications for competition automobiles that will participate in the category titled "SGS". Cars must have been in production for road use/or meet homologation criteria, and have been/or be for sale to the public in a regular dealer offering. A Manufacturer or Tuner must present their automobile before being approved.

1-2 The following cars are recognized as eligible models

1-2.1 Chevrolet Corvette C5 Z06 (5.7) 1999-2002

1-2.2 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (5.7) 2003

1-2.3 Dodge Viper ACR (8.0) 1995-2001

1-2.4 Ferrari 360 Challenge (3.6) 2000-2002

1-2.5 Porsche GT3 Cup (3.6)

1-2.6 Saleen Mustang SR (5.8) 2000-2001

1-2.7 Steeda Q400R Mustang (4.6) 2002

crazy cars here I bet it could be a good class if lots of people can get involved, especially if they open rules to let NASA american Iron, and AIX cars run...
Old 16 Oct 2003, 14:33 (Ref:753326)   #2
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, you'll get some one timers who want to practice at their local track. I see it adding quantity but not quality. Grand-Am acts worse than the SCCA when it comes to rules and rule changes that I can't imagine many locals wanting to deal with a whole new set of idiots.

Plus, you have to change or add inlet restrictors and probably add that ridiculus 'Earnhart' bar down the middle of the windsheild.

Remember also, that GT2 through 4 are probationary status. They are having trouble getting the grids needed for Nationals and national club races. Most of the cars existing in these classes are sitting in mothballs or junk yards.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 15:46 (Ref:753406)   #3
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are approved cars for the GT class. I don't think any of the SCCA (or ALMS GTS) cars you mentioned can participate of this class without prior approval and major modifications.

The intention is to build a new class that will make GT racing more affordable for a full season.
Old 16 Oct 2003, 18:29 (Ref:753533)   #4
DiscoGoober
Racer

DiscoGoober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the Grand-Am site to see the approved cars for the GT class next year. They are as follows:

2-1 Acura NSX

2-2 Acura 3.2 TL

2-3 Audi S4 2WD

2-4 Audi TT

2-5 BMW E46

2-6 Cadillac - XLR

2-7 Corvette C5

2-8 Chrysler Sebring Coupe

2-9 Chrysler Crossfire

2-10 Dodge Stratus Coupe

2-11 Ferrari F360 Modena

2-12 Ferrari 360 Challenge

2-13 Ford Mustang

2-14 Honda Accord Coupe

2-15 Jaguar XKR8

2-16 Lexus IS 300

2-17 Lexus SC 430

2-18 Lincoln LS RS8R

2-19 Mercedes CLK 430

2-20 Mercedes - SL

2-21 Maserati Trofeo Coupe

2-22 Nissan 350 Z

2-23 Pontiac - GTO

2-24 Porsche GT3R / RS

2-25 Porsche GT3 Cup

2-26 Toyota - MR2

2-27 Toyota - Celica GTS

2-28 Toyota - Solara

2-29 Other cars/models

But I don't see cars like the Mosler MT900 or Saleen S7R. When they anounced the new rules package, they said that cars eligible for Grand-Am GTS could compete in GT in 2004. Are the "Other cars/models" those types of cars?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 20:31 (Ref:753660)   #5
Megatron
Rookie

Megatron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So much for the "international GT rules" thing talked about at the start of the year. And why create a class of racing just to elimiante it the next, the SGS or whatever? Who sits and thinks of these things?
Old 16 Oct 2003, 21:26 (Ref:753718)   #6
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea for the SGS is to give the GS guys time to update their cars. This year the GS cars will be one step closer to GT (SGS) next year with a little more mod. they will be GT. It is also a cost thing, and pretty smart if you ask me. They just opened the door for a HUGE number of cars to enter...if that isnt smart what is?

Besides that, I went to a GT race at LRP last year and there were about 35 cars entered a dozen or so GT1, the rest GT2-5...that is not a bad number of cars for a "club" race and sure if there are cars sitting in mothballs...now they have a home...and a professional one at that...couple that with the intention of Trans am to make a lower class that might include the very same cars...you will see a lot of them raise from the dead!!
Old 16 Oct 2003, 22:42 (Ref:753818)   #7
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the other reason for including SGS cars was to honor the contract with Hoosier tires. Hoosier signed on to supply a certain amount of tires for the GAC series and by moving one class from GAC to Rolex, that would have eliminated a lot of business for them. With this arrangement Hoosier continues to receive the business from the SGS class (GAC GS1 cars) and teams can count on a similar tire as they have been using. Hoosier apparently will create a racing slick version of the GAC tire they have been using for the SGS class. However, for 2004 it would have been unfair to make SGS and GT cars run in one class for the same championship with tires based on different construction.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 00:05 (Ref:753868)   #8
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good point.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 00:52 (Ref:753902)   #9
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't the SWC GT car's also run Hoosier's?
Old 17 Oct 2003, 01:20 (Ref:753926)   #10
LouisTheShark
Racer

They are on Toyos