Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Oct 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1438483)   #1
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 10 could be fined

I heard this story on my local radio station (FM104.7), but can't find a link to back it up.

The story said, that in light of the altercation between Murphy and Ambrose, and on other occaisions, if a driver swears on the radio while Channel 10 is broadcasting, then channel 10 could be fined $85,000 per swear word.

Don't quote me on the dollars (it could be $8,500) until someone finds a media release, but if this is the case, Channel 10 may stop broadcasting radio communication all together.

BJ
Old 20 Oct 2005, 01:06 (Ref:1438485)   #2
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, imagine if they passed the fines on to offending drivers, via a swear-box kind of arrangement.

Skaifies wife would have to hand back her entire pay-check every month.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1438492)   #3
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has come up because of past complaints directed towards Channel 10 (and also because of scrutiny over Big Brother Uncut or whatever it was called). 10 Have previously been warned about putting the radio conversations live to air but they have, it appears, chosen to ignore the ACA's warnings.

Some of the first complaints were directed to 10 and the ACA over one S. Ellery (which is why you don't hear him go to air over radio any more), but recent broadcasts - even though they have been on tape delay, have not edited or bleeped out the offending words.

Now - I'm not going to preach one way or the other - in the heat of battle some things do get said - but, having said that, there are a couple of drivers (and even promoters) who tend to scatter these 'offending words' into their language every 3 or 4 words (this was why Ellery was 'banned'). 10 were cautioned about this, chose to broadcast them and it may now be coming back to bite them.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 01:38 (Ref:1438494)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
Geez, imagine if they passed the fines on to offending

Skaifies wife would have to hand back her entire pay-check every month.

And smashpotato head would not be to far behing Skaifey in that department
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 20 Oct 2005, 01:44 (Ref:1438495)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
V8 SUPERCAR officials intend to crack down on any foul language from hot-headed race drivers as the series reaches its most critical moment in round 11 at the Surfers Paradise Indy this weekend..

Broadcaster Channel 10 will be hardest hit if expletives are voiced by any of the stars of the V8 show. Fines of up to $85,000 will be imposed for each offence.

Because the telecast is in the general viewing classification time slot on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, the TV watchdog is primed to levy the hefty fines if swear words are broadcast.

Quote:
V8 Supercar driving standards observer Colin Bond, one of the most gifted drivers produced in Australia, said he could cope with an altercation such as that which broke out between Murphy and Ambrose at Bathurst.

But officials would not tolerate any violence, such as drivers coming to blows after an incident.

Bond said foul language from sportsmen was on the public's radar following the flurry of four-letter words from jubilant Wests Tigers rugby league players during TV interviews after their grand final win last month.

"We don't have a fuss with the two drivers getting out and chatting to each other as long as they don't start trading blows," Bond said.

"TV tends to listen in a lot of times these days on teams and their discussions with drivers. So with the language, I think as long as we don't hear it we don't care."
linkage here

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 20 Oct 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1438503)   #6
SkaifeysGal
Racer

Australia
Medowie
SkaifeysGal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that is interesting, maybe they should possibly think about bringing in the 5 second delay thing on live telecasts so that if a driver does say any bad language, then channel 10 have time to react and beep it out

Cam, Your a Legend mate!!!
Old 20 Oct 2005, 02:31 (Ref:1438509)   #7
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
SkaifeysGal - the problem is - this (the slight delay) has already been in place but 10 haven't seen fit to 'censor' offending language. SImilarly in taped delays (Hidden Valley is a good example) they have had plenty of time to edit words out but haven't.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 02:36 (Ref:1438511)   #8
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not just rate the program M ?? Or provide a warning at the start of the program for PG, as it is live and we cant control what is said between the team radio's.

Channel 10 choose to tune into the radios, these radios are not primarily a TV device, and as a result, no fines should be handed out to the drivers.

I think a simple warning that channel 10 is conducting a live broadcast and any expletives that happen to be broadcast on air are not the responsibility of network ten.

Anyone remember Damian Oliver in the Melbourne Cup in 1995?? They interviewed him on the horse as it was warming down.. and the interviewer gallops up to Damien Oliver and says something to the tune of "How do you feel, Damien??" ... and he responds live on national TV with a peak audience of 4 Million-ish viewers .. "Ive just won the F-ing Melbourne Cup!! "

Why sanitise that kind of emotion ?? and why should a driver have to think before he speaks during such emotion charged situations ??

I really dont think it would affect the ratings that much.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 02:40 (Ref:1438512)   #9
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But that costs money.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 03:22 (Ref:1438525)   #10
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
V8 Supercar driving standards observer Colin Bond, one of the most gifted drivers produced in Australia,

I'm sorry but could the IPO please charge the Courier Mail with bringing the truth into dis-repute?????
Old 20 Oct 2005, 04:00 (Ref:1438536)   #11
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sorry but could the IPO please charge the Courier Mail with bringing the truth into dis-repute?????
Put that in as a special for you Unc - I thought you would like it. :-/

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 20 Oct 2005, 04:01 (Ref:1438537)   #12
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which bit's in dispute there, Uncle?
Old 20 Oct 2005, 04:18 (Ref:1438538)   #13
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Skaife cop a fine at Sandown for swearing about Morris?

Heard Rob Starr when Skaifey was on the last lap down Conrod tell Mark to watch his language.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 20 Oct 2005, 04:38 (Ref:1438543)   #14
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Now don't get my wrong, Bond could drive.

But " One of the most gifted drivers produced in Australia"

Pleeze.

Gee I hope he wasn't conceived on an overseas holiday.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 04:53 (Ref:1438546)   #15
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty05
Didn't Skaife cop a fine at Sandown for swearing about Morris?

Heard Rob Starr when Skaifey was on the last lap down Conrod tell Mark to watch his language.
The official crack down on swearing was for Bathurst - Avesco took the view that it was an all day telecast with younger children watching so the teams were told to put a lid on it.

I have had school age kids myself and have been around their mates so I know how the world spins but for the below 10's I don't think it needs to be rammed down their throats by their hero's.

Guess I'm just a big prude?

Old 20 Oct 2005, 04:56 (Ref:1438547)   #16
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Now don't get my wrong, Bond could drive.

But " One of the most gifted drivers produced in Australia"

Pleeze.

Gee I hope he wasn't conceived on an overseas holiday.
Unc - he drove across brands and various forms of motorsport and did ok - must have had something going for him and ask any Ford fan about the 1 - 2 finish which he could/should have won.

Old 20 Oct 2005, 04:58 (Ref:1438548)   #17
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doubt it.

Channel Nine aired three f-words after the NRL Grand Final and didn't get their wrists slapped (although a senior exec type from the Balmain Tigers apologised later...)
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 20 Oct 2005, 05:03 (Ref:1438551)   #18
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
Doubt it.

Channel Nine aired three f-words after the NRL Grand Final and didn't get their wrists slapped (although a senior exec type from the Balmain Tigers apologised later...)
The grand final was a bit later at night (no excuse) and this is what triggered the Avesco call.

Old 20 Oct 2005, 05:16 (Ref:1438554)   #19
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
why not just rate the program M ?? Or provide a warning at the start of the program for PG, as it is live and we cant control what is said between the team radio's.

I think a simple warning that channel 10 is conducting a live broadcast and any expletives that happen to be broadcast on air are not the responsibility of network ten.

Anyone remember Damian Oliver in the Melbourne Cup in 1995?? They interviewed him on the horse as it was warming down.. and the interviewer gallops up to Damien Oliver and says something to the tune of "How do you feel, Damien??" ... and he responds live on national TV with a peak audience of 4 Million-ish viewers .. "Ive just won the F-ing Melbourne Cup!! "

Why sanitise that kind of emotion ?? and why should a driver have to think before he speaks during such emotion charged situations ??

I really dont think it would affect the ratings that much.
Has nothing to do with ratings. The hours Sandown and Bathurst are televised are legistlated childrens viewing hours and, as such, content is very heavily scrutinised.

If the race had been, say, the Indy 500 and overnight there would, in all probability, have been no problem - but because it WAS during the day and therefore during these hours there IS a problem.

As for being a prude - maybe some believe standards have changed - but does this mean it has to be forced down everyones muth just because a minority talk that way? I know I don;t talk that way infront of family and friends and neither did most of the people at Ch 10 - but for some reason it seems that a few people think it is 'cool'.

AVESCO are only reacting to the warnings previously given out by the ACA after Sandown and Bathurst 2004 and again Sandown this year thus - as already pointed out - the HRT calls to 'watch your language' on the last lap.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 05:22 (Ref:1438556)   #20
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are designated childrens hours howcome some stations such as SBS, 2 and even occasionally 7 play movies during the middle of the day that have an M rating.

Jerry Springer is rated M and is on during the day ! So im not sure how this designated childrens hours thing quiet works.

By the time i was 7-8 i had quite a extensive vocabulary, ask any of my teachers hahaha
Old 20 Oct 2005, 05:36 (Ref:1438559)   #21
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Some of the first complaints were directed to 10 and the ACA over one S. Ellery (which is why you don't hear him go to air over radio any more), but recent broadcasts - even though they have been on tape delay, have not edited or bleeped out the offending words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
AVESCO are only reacting to the warnings previously given out by the ACA after Sandown and Bathurst 2004 and again Sandown this year thus - as already pointed out - the HRT calls to 'watch your language' on the last lap.
I believe it's the ABA, Australian Broadcast Authority. ACA??

BJ
Old 20 Oct 2005, 05:51 (Ref:1438562)   #22
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJAY
I believe it's the ABA, Australian Broadcast Authority. ACA??

BJ

ACA, A Current Affair;

"And tonight we look at bad language in Motorsport, our elite V8 Sportsmen are setting a poor example for the children of Australia"
" Are Channel Ten responsible, this mother believes they are"

" Well Ray, me kids bloody swear all the time, but onlys after wachin that Skaife bloke on the supercars, mate he says f***ck alls the time Ray.....

Now wheres me money you plastic haired poof"

Err AHH thanks, we'll have more after this break............
Old 20 Oct 2005, 05:51 (Ref:1438563)   #23
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Sorry - getting the Australian Communications Authority and Australian Broadcasting Authority initials mixed up - my mistake - apologies.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 05:53 (Ref:1438564)   #24
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
ACA, A Current Affair;

"And tonight we look at bad language in Motorsport, our elite V8 Sportsmen are setting a poor example for the children of Australia"
" Are Channel Ten responsible, this mother believes they are"
Shouldn't that have been:

"And tonight <pause> tonight we look at bad language <pause> bad language in motorsport <pause> yes in motorsport...."etc
Old 20 Oct 2005, 06:01 (Ref:1438570)   #25
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Gee Nigel, you are clearly a bigger watcher than me.........

You have it down to a fine Art, Personally I prefer Naomi, same drivel, but at least she is better looking than Ray.....