Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jan 2003, 00:09 (Ref:469018)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joest plans stall

The expected return of the Joest Audi's may have faltered. Funding for the programme isn't coming in and there are serious doubts over the project. It was expected that the team would run under the Audi North America banner, however Champion could yet run a second car under US importers colours. Meanwhile Audi UK is targeting Perry McCarthy as one pilots for Sebring and Le Mans.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 07:59 (Ref:469233)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Did you hear this from a source, or is there an internet article written about it?

If IA, could you shoot me the link.

I have loved the Joest Audi's, but this would certainly make the upcoming season a bit more exciting.

Thanks
Old 10 Jan 2003, 14:44 (Ref:470251)   #3
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Joest plans stall

Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
The expected return of the Joest Audi's may have faltered. Funding for the programme isn't coming in and there are serious doubts over the project.
Are you just talking about Le Mans, aren't you?
Old 10 Jan 2003, 16:09 (Ref:470349)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If this is true, I am soooooooooooo disappointed.......
Old 10 Jan 2003, 17:17 (Ref:470426)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
oh well
Old 10 Jan 2003, 17:22 (Ref:470433)   #6
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this Joest as a "privateer" not coming back, or Joest not coming back as a factory team/
Old 10 Jan 2003, 17:23 (Ref:470436)   #7
ZXKawboy
Rookie

ZXKawboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good riddance to the juggernaut. The Audi's have been a showcase in design and development excellence, but damn me if the races aren't boring sometimes to watch. I've been of the opinion for the last year that they need to go..or to be somehow restricted.

It's not a case of driver talent being too good...in fact, who can tell? The way the cars seem to run is (as it should be) flawlessly, but it leaves little room for the spectator to see any actual driving skill being displayed. Instead (as I saw at Sebring in '02) the Audis were pretty much in lock-step as they circulated the circuit.

And lastly..(and this is an entirely personal opinion) those cars and teams seemed somehow...arrogant. That just irks the hell out of me. I'd rather watch teams like the ALMS Corvette team run, instead.

nuff said
Old 10 Jan 2003, 18:10 (Ref:470469)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joest in GrandAm with Volkswagen!!

Now it all makes sense:
Team Joest has purchased two Multimatic Daytona Sports Prototype chassis for the 2003 Grand-American season. (They won't be ready in time for the Rolex of course.)
The cars will be powered by a 4.8l version of the Volkswagen Passat "W8" engine, and will probably be labelled "Jetta DSP".

Wow, what an upset...
Old 10 Jan 2003, 18:58 (Ref:470509)   #9
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Joest in GrandAm with Volkswagen!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf

Now it all makes sense:
Team Joest has purchased two Multimatic Daytona Sports Prototype chassis for the 2003 Grand-American season. (They won't be ready in time for the Rolex of course.)
The cars will be powered by a 4.8l version of the Volkswagen Passat "W8" engine, and will probably be labelled "Jetta DSP".

Wow, what an upset...
Is Passat's W8 approved for GA's DSP?

Anyhow, if this is true than what a upset....

BTW, I do not find Joest people at the race arrogant in the least bit, their driver are usually easy to get a hold of for autograph, and they don't really block you out of looking at things....
Old 10 Jan 2003, 19:27 (Ref:470521)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Last year at Mosport they were more open than the year before. The drivers were usually around, too (I got Dindo and Frank Biele to sign a photo I took of them the year before). Plus, Vasek Polak Jr. was there, and chatty as always.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 10 Jan 2003, 22:06 (Ref:470706)   #11
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am glad they have retreated, apparently.

I have respect for their abilty, but not for their attitude. After winning Sebring this year, all they, the boss and the drivers could talk about, is how they want "Le Mans". The most prestiguos race sports cars have in North America and thats what they say when they win. Very little respect or any kind of acknowledgment of the fans or media.
Old 10 Jan 2003, 23:18 (Ref:470776)   #12
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still say come Sebring and Le Mans there will be Joest people in the Bentley team, you don't just turn your back on all that experience>
Old 11 Jan 2003, 00:39 (Ref:470824)   #13
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Last year at Mosport they were more open than the year before. The drivers were usually around, too (I got Dindo and Frank Biele to sign a photo I took of them the year before). Plus, Vasek Polak Jr. was there, and chatty as always.
Attached Thumbnails
autographed.jpg  
Old 11 Jan 2003, 00:57 (Ref:470842)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by H16
I am glad they have retreated, apparently.
After winning Sebring this year, all they, the boss and the drivers could talk about, is how they want "Le Mans". The most prestiguos race sports cars have in North America and thats what they say when they win. Very little respect or any kind of acknowledgment of the fans or media.
Well maybe IMSA should reschedule Sebring to a date after Le Mans, then the Le Mans winners can talk about how badly they want to win Sebring. One can find an insult (or, "lack of respect") in anything if one tries hard enough, I guess.
If you want cold & corporate, try Bentley. Talk about a soulless "machine".
But there are probably such aspects to every professional racing team. Corvette "sitting out" the race in the pits wasn't exactly a sign of respect for the fans, or competitive spirit, either.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 09:28 (Ref:470983)   #15
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Well maybe IMSA should reschedule Sebring to a date after Le Mans, then the Le Mans winners can talk about how badly they want to win Sebring. One can find an insult (or, "lack of respect") in anything if one tries hard enough, I guess.
If you want cold & corporate, try Bentley. Talk about a soulless "machine".
But there are probably such aspects to every professional racing team. Corvette "sitting out" the race in the pits wasn't exactly a sign of respect for the fans, or competitive spirit, either.
Well, that is your opinion, I have expressed mine. Who is to say who is wrong or right. Having said that, lets pretend that Audi somehow ran Le Mans before Sebring. I doubt Sebring would even be mentioned.

I have all the respect in the world for their abilities, but their attitude, from my view, in the last three years has been somewhat mute at best in regards to any race in North America. I wouldn't use Bentley as an example to trail and bail Joest out. The are Audi with green paint.
Old 11 Jan 2003, 09:47 (Ref:470992)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well lets call a spade a spade. Sebring isnt Le Mans. Otherwise it would have the entries Le Mans does.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 18:45 (Ref:472272)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Sebring, sure americans have heard of it, and the die hard sportscar fans in europe have too.

On the other hand everyone has heard of Le Mans.

LM is simply a more prestigious race, twice the length, twice the circuit length, twice the magic, twice a race.

And, well Audi had to leave, what else can they do apart from get worse, they've won virtually everything.
They've had their lot, so they go.
It's no problem. It's a shame, but it's probably costing them more they earn.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 20:07 (Ref:472372)   #18
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
BTW - Astonishing how quickly Cybers - 'rumour' spread worldwide! :-)
Old 12 Jan 2003, 20:27 (Ref:472394)   #19
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
You mean someone bought this? Naah...
Old 12 Jan 2003, 21:26 (Ref:472443)   #20
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Oh Yes they did - check the IMSA forum (and several others!!)
Old 12 Jan 2003, 21:46 (Ref:472455)   #21
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Good. That was the idea.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 21:50 (Ref:472457)   #22
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to ruin your fun cybers, but I've playing fire marshall trying to put out the fires you've been starting

http://www.professionalsportscar.com...mID1/2140.html

Bob

Last edited by BobN; 12 Jan 2003 at 21:52.
Old 12 Jan 2003, 22:25 (Ref:472477)   #23
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
The key word is "trying to".
Keep up the good work Bob, order must be restored!