Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Does 1 Lap Qualifying Work?
Yes 42 60.87%
No 11 15.94%
Not Sure 16 23.19%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Mar 2003, 03:52 (Ref:528456)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does 1 Lap Qualifying Work?

Well that is the first 1 Lap Qualifying, over does it work. I am still not sure.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 03:54 (Ref:528461)   #2
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I definetly think its an improvement.

The drivers have to be on top of thier game now, they only get 1 shot.
It sorts the men from the boys.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:07 (Ref:528479)   #3
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although the last minute drama of qualifying has gone it means sunday will be more interesting as we wont really know what fuel load they have etc. Getting different cars up the front and increasing the likelyhood of top drivers( this time Kimi) messing up and starting near the back is all part of the new qualifying. ALthough the saturday spectacle is diminished this means sunday should be big fun!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:07 (Ref:528480)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It partly sorts the men from the boys it partly sorts the high fuel loads from the low!

And the talk is what do you make of so and so's tactics. Hmmmm. Chess.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:21 (Ref:528490)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
But in the end, the best driver and team will win
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:23 (Ref:528493)   #6
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aye to that Inigo
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:49 (Ref:528523)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's great. Makes the whole weekend from Saturday afternoon quite unpredictable, and we've already seen the results: two Saubers and two BARs in the top 10. Who would have thought??

Both McLarens and both Renaults NOT in the top 10!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:51 (Ref:528526)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, certainly gives one hope that the race might be a bit more interesting!

Here's hoping Channel 10 keeps focused on the action!
Old 8 Mar 2003, 04:57 (Ref:528531)   #9
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So many imponderables. I enjoyed both Friday and Saturday (Thurs/Fri here in the US). I worry a bit about the start, with cars running potentially different fuel loads, but then I'm <i>always</i> worried at the start... Here's to a good season! Cheers, F1 fans.

Bibendum
Old 8 Mar 2003, 05:01 (Ref:528537)   #10
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the new system. Will be even better when the scope to stuff up increases with the removal of the driver aids at the British GP.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 05:31 (Ref:528551)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the way drivers have qualified on American ovals forever... on a road course though? I like it, but unless one makes a huge mistake it doesn't usually produce that much of a different grid than the other way.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Mar 2003, 05:38 (Ref:528555)   #12
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All that this has done is prove the Ferraris are the best cars out there, and MS is the best driver. I don't like the man, but that doesn't discount his driving abilities.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 05:51 (Ref:528561)   #13
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'll say Yes but until it all folds out in the race its hard to say
Old 8 Mar 2003, 07:23 (Ref:528594)   #14
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's an improvement in equity for the teams which is the most important thing right now. Equal airtime, easy to understand, tense.

It'd be just as good without the refuelling rule but at least this way the back teams can get up front and mix it up by running lighter strategies.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 07:42 (Ref:528603)   #15
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was quite interesting to watch, but of course, the meaning of the results in qual will become seriously apparent at the end of the race.

Maybe two qualifying sessions becomes a little boring, as the order on saturday qual really doesnt matter.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 08:43 (Ref:528640)   #16
Baritone24

I think is cool, but i think change the order like the champ cars have it on the ovals.With the fast cars last.

Old 8 Mar 2003, 08:55 (Ref:528648)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

The only ones to suffer were Minardi - with that stupid idea of not turining in a time, they basically said their team was rubbish. And they have lost all support from me for the year with that chicken excreta effort.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 8 Mar 2003 at 08:56.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 09:41 (Ref:528667)   #18
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't wake up to watch the quali, but the results showed that it's OK...hmm...when it comes to Interlagos, I'll tell you what I think
Old 8 Mar 2003, 09:47 (Ref:528674)   #19
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baritone24, do you suggest that the faster cars should run last also in Friday qualifying?

I do not like the no refuelling rule between qual and race. If we look at the "one hot lap" in Saturday qualifying versus the full qualifying hour which we've had previously, I'm not sure if this is an improvement. I quite liked the old qualifying procedure, as it often produced excitement, and we saw who was the fastest driver + car combination in a qualifying setup with a low fuel load. Thus, all pole position statistics must now be archived, and new statistics must be started, counting the new rules only, as they're not even remotely comparable.

It'll be more about tactics, and no one can reveal how much fuel they had onboard in any post qual interviews, as that will be giving away their race strategy. The McLarens are obviously on a heavy fuel load. So predicting pole will be more difficult. Saturday qualifying is now basically the first lap of the race, and it probably pays to be a little conservative. Stuffing up, and thus ending up far down the grid, will (especially if you have a light fuel load) leave you with a lot of work to do on the Sunday.

Last edited by R; 8 Mar 2003 at 09:49.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:01 (Ref:528679)   #20
AussieV8
Veteran

Australia
Orange, NSW Australia
AussieV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it works but WHY red up the front... Yuk !
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:31 (Ref:528712)   #21
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's made very little difference so far. Red at the front, black at the back. Will be interesting tomorrow tho.

I withhold judgement for a few races.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 10:32 (Ref:528714)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
...................it partly sorts the high fuel loads from the low!
Interesting point. Do they send both cars out with the same fuel load and run one two (or more) laps less? Or do they fuel one for a long stint and one for a short stint?

I'm looking at the time differences between say the BARs and the Williams' irrespective of your view of driver capabilities, all four drivers put in (to my eyes) good clean error free laps and yet with BAR ther's a couplre of tenths and with Williams there's 7 tenths (ish). Seems like there may be a fueling difference in the latter.

The Saubers seem to be well matched and it was only a small mistake which separated the two. So similar fuel loads there I would think.

That's the kind of thing that will make the race interesting.
Old 8 Mar 2003, 11:44 (Ref:528773)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah I didnt like it at all. It gives all the teams some Tv time and there 1min 30 secs as the centre of attention, but apart from that I didnt really enjoy it as much as I did for qualifyin in previous years
Old 8 Mar 2003, 15:00 (Ref:528910)   #24
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not like one-lap qualifying basically on one count:

It penalizes the young, quick, risk-taking, up and coming new drivers (that was a lot of adjectives wasn't it?).

What we're seeing in tomorrow's grid is some kind of "Gerontocracy" with a bunch of older guys at the top. Although we know that experience counts, I'm not sure Kimi wouldn't be up there if he'd had another chance, and Jenson would not necessarily be behind Jacques if there had been two-lap qualifying at least.

I like the idea of mixing things up a bit and I do really like the speculations of low or heavy fuel loads. All I say today is two laps would put more of a premium on risk-takers.

Old 8 Mar 2003, 15:06 (Ref:528916)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been a fan of this type of qualifying.

Sure it's been in place at Indianapolis and Bathurst for years, which really i don't mind that much, but nowadays it's too common and used everywhere.

And qualifying no longer proves who is the out and out fastest, because it will always be affected by race strategy and whether you want to work on your car overnight or not.

But it suits the sponsers because every car gets seen so i guess it will stay.