Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:12 (Ref:698672)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell's Best Qualifying Lap Ever

Sorry to be going on about Mansell so much latley ( actualy i'm not , as the guy was just superb ),

but ive just been watching the qualifying session from Silverstone 1990 that ive been converting onto DVD ( great excuse to watch them all again as they get converted ! ). Anyway , Mansell put in a absolute breath taking lap in his Ferrari putting himself the only person in the 1.17sec bracket . Simply a stunning lap which produced a time that the car wasnt really capable off .

Afterwards when he was interviewed he said that he wouldnt fancy having to do that again as it was so scary where he was on the absolute edge of the cars ability .

Any others ?

Last edited by Sato san; 25 Aug 2003 at 21:13.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:19 (Ref:698678)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Silverstone 1992, 2 seconds fatser than his team mate and 3 seconds faster than Senna. plus setting the fastest ever lap of Silverstone (at that time)

Wonderful sight

Last edited by Mr V; 25 Aug 2003 at 21:19.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:31 (Ref:698687)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, definitely Silverstone 1992! The perfect lap!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:38 (Ref:698692)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But , it was done in a near perfect car...The FW14B looked very very good indeed.

The Ferrari of 1990 was much more of a handful ,Mansell must have had bag fulls of bravery to achieve that lap time . Not that im argueing , 1992 was still awesome .
Old 25 Aug 2003, 21:38 (Ref:698693)   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup. Silverstone 1992. 1.18'965''

Thats the one. Not just Mansells one, but the best, or one of the best anyway, flying laps I ever had the pleasure and honor to witness (albeit on TV).
Old 25 Aug 2003, 22:25 (Ref:698753)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty much any lap at Silverstone!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:23 (Ref:698826)   #7
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Brands Hatch recently Nigel was beaten by his son Brett
Rosanne was not impressed given the worrying times Nigel gave her.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:27 (Ref:698829)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by vatuloa
At Brands Hatch recently Nigel was beaten by his son Brett
Rosanne was not impressed given the worrying times Nigel gave her.
Are you sure about that? Nigels sons are called Leo and Greg!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:44 (Ref:698844)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was truly an amazing lap.

But my main Mansell memories are the turbo days.

Ahhh, those were the days.. Aerodynamics? pfffftt! I've got 1300 bhp under my right foot! What else do I need except a will?
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:55 (Ref:698855)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nigel was almost unbeatable at Silverstone after 1987. Only mechanical failures/punctures robbed him of victories.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 23:59 (Ref:698858)   #11
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone '92. Nothing else comes close.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 26 Aug 2003, 00:34 (Ref:698881)   #12
The Zuschauer
Racer

The Zuschauer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato San - Any chance of posting the video on here for all of us to see? Unfortunately my memories of Mansell are a little faded, and I'd love to see this lap!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 00:56 (Ref:698891)   #13
craigmanning
Rookie

United Kingdom
Toronto Canada
craigmanning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato San... Thanks for the post. It helps to bring back pleasant memories. A transplanted Brit living in Toronto, I managed to make it to one British GP... 1990 at Silverstone!! I was standing at the outside of the entrance to Stowe during qualifying with my cousin and a VCR camera. We knew that Nigel was building up to a big lap and we knew by the clock that the next time by was it. We had the camera ready and honest to God when he came through it was un-Godly... He was visually quicker than anybody else and quicker than he had been. I looked frighteningly like he wouldn't make it. It was much too ragged for such blinding entry speed. We hung on to the track announcer to hear the rest of the lap. By the time he came back around on the cool off lap the place was going crazy!! Easy for me to say that was Nigel's greatest qualifying lap.

That was also the weekend he was furious with his Prost, his team mate regarding the allegeded switching of serial numbers on the race cars. Prost wanted Nigel's car, he claimed. In a frustrating DNF Nige threw his gloves and balaclava into the crowd and in a huff announced his first retirement!! ...whew, what times!

Thanks again,
Craig

Last edited by craigmanning; 26 Aug 2003 at 00:59.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 00:57 (Ref:698893)   #14
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I appologise it was Greg Mansell that beat Nigel at Brands Hatch recently he is his youngest son.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 07:33 (Ref:699058)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by craig
Sato San... Thanks for the post. It helps to bring back pleasant memories. A transplanted Brit living in Toronto, I managed to make it to one British GP... 1990 at Silverstone!! I was standing at the outside of the entrance to Stowe during qualifying with my cousin and a VCR camera. We knew that Nigel was building up to a big lap and we knew by the clock that the next time by was it. We had the camera ready and honest to God when he came through it was un-Godly... He was visually quicker than anybody else and quicker than he had been. I looked frighteningly like he wouldn't make it. It was much too ragged for such blinding entry speed. We hung on to the track announcer to hear the rest of the lap. By the time he came back around on the cool off lap the place was going crazy!! Easy for me to say that was Nigel's greatest qualifying lap.Thanks again,
Craig
great description !.....i agree that 1990 was better than 92 for those reasons....he was absolutley wringing the neck of hs Ferrari that day ...and we need to remember that he done that in the old Silverstone track configuration where Club corner was just a a gear change a very fast indeed without hardly any run off what so ever . Very Brave indeed .

Quote:
Originally posted by The Zuschauer
Sato San - Any chance of posting the video on here for all of us to see? Unfortunately my memories of Mansell are a little faded, and I'd love to see this lap!
Zuschauer.....i can't show the lap on the internet as i wouldnt even have a clue how to...but i can always send you the qualifing session and race on a dvd disk if you wanted it ...

yep for me 1990 just had the edge over his 1992 lap for me .

Last edited by Sato san; 26 Aug 2003 at 07:35.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:48 (Ref:699120)   #16
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely, that 1990 lap has to be the best example of Mansell at his peak. The old Silverstone had to be one of the biggest tests of driver commitment in F1, and, on home soil, no-one was more committed than Nige. Driving on the absolute edge through the old Club, Becketts, Stowe and Club, with no margin for error; if Nige did nothing else, he would still be a hero in my eyes for that lap alone.

Craig, great story. I've always wondered what it would have been like to have been at Stowe that day, watching Nige on that lap. You lucky *******!!!

BTW Sato san, is there any chance I could get a copy of that DVD?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:23 (Ref:699177)   #17
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The 1992 Williams ... "a car a monkey could become World Champion in"
Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:27 (Ref:699182)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, so you think Jos might have had a good chance then?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:32 (Ref:699345)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by vatuloa
I appologise it was Greg Mansell that beat Nigel at Brands Hatch recently he is his youngest son.
in what? A kart or a FW14B?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:46 (Ref:699360)   #20
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by William Dale Jr
BTW Sato san, is there any chance I could get a copy of that DVD?
yer sure !...send me a PM ( private message )and we will sort out details and stuff !.

No Problem .

Watching Nige is always edge of the seat viewing isnt it .

Last edited by Sato san; 26 Aug 2003 at 12:53.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:49 (Ref:699364)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greg Mansell must be about 18 years old now ?....is that right . Maybe Nige let him have a go in the FW14B that is in the reception of his Woodbury Park golf club .
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:55 (Ref:699378)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That would be fun!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 16:00 (Ref:699625)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And Nige said he wouldn't let his children ever step into a racing car! Tsk!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:14 (Ref:699865)   #24
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
92 had lots of great Qualifying laps from mansell

but the British 92 lap was just the best.

was there any other session that year he went more than 2 seconds a lap faster than anyone else.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:01 (Ref:700014)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by pb btcc
was there any other session that year he went more than 2 seconds a lap faster than anyone else.
i think he did in Brazil as well . I think he was nearly 2 seconds clear of Patrese as well at that circuit .