Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 27 Jan 2002, 14:38 (Ref:205290)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to what extent is motorsport based on merit?

having been sat in front of sociology books all afternoon that say that the world is increasingly meritocratic (ie status is acheived through hard work), it occurred to me that this isn't true in motorsport.

how much does it depend on money, and how far can just talent get you?

(ps let's not turn this into a specific case slanging match, no naming names either...)
Old 27 Jan 2002, 15:23 (Ref:205313)   #2
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FACT. Unfortunatly motor sport is expensive and therefore moving through the formulas into F1 depends upon a great deal of money.

Certainly in the past many drivers who are extremely talented have fallen at various hurdles as they havent the money to keep progressing up the ladder. Some of the most gifted drivers haven't/didn't even move out of karts as it provides them with a good income for something they enjoy.

However over the last couple of years some people(ie. managers with funding) have increasingly looked to karting for future stars. Now these managers arn't stupid, they are picking out the most talented karters out of a pool of 10,000's and giving them the money and possiblities to progress.

Therefore in answer to the question - yes money and a moderate talent can get you there. But if you are really talented with no money (not naming names but...JB,KR,FA,JT,AD,VL) you've got a better chance in the present period of getting the backing and making it than ever before.
Old 27 Jan 2002, 17:26 (Ref:205395)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very very few things in life are based on your raw or achieved ability. Politics and circumstances abound in every form of work Racing is no exception.
Old 27 Jan 2002, 17:58 (Ref:205408)   #4
Aussie 05
Rookie

Aussie 05 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You could be the best driver but if you don't have the funds you won't get the seat in a team, yet if you are not very good but you have alot of money you will get taken on to pay for your drive and a lot of the other drivers seats so that way the team can have a good driver race for them who doesn't have a very big budget and a **** driver who pays all the bills.

I heard from someone that this has happened this year with one of the drivers for the Duckhams Slick 50 FFord team, but im not gona say who the driver was. But apparently they didn't want this driver so they offered the driver a seat for a really really high price to try and shrug them off but instead the driver just payed it.

Thats the most frustrating thing about Motor racing, Money talks!
Old 27 Jan 2002, 18:17 (Ref:205417)   #5
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hysen
Therefore in answer to the question - yes money and a moderate talent can get you there. But if you are really talented with no money (not naming names but...JB,KR,FA,JT,AD,VL) you've got a better chance in the present period of getting the backing and making it than ever before.
I disagree. I have heard from many sources that this year is the hardest for a VERY long time, to find funding in motorsport, especially in certain countries.
Old 27 Jan 2002, 18:29 (Ref:205419)   #6
hysen
Racer

hysen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah if your trying to find it yourself. What i'm saying is that if you are REALLY talented then managers will come to you with the funding.
Old 27 Jan 2002, 23:53 (Ref:205571)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont agree but give me a day to work out my answer. Sorry I cant put it to words at the mo without it sounding wrong
Old 28 Jan 2002, 14:47 (Ref:205764)   #8
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Re: to what extent is motorsport based on merit?

Quote:
Originally posted by bella
having been sat in front of sociology books all afternoon that say that the world is increasingly meritocratic
Who are you and what have you done with the real Bella?
Old 28 Jan 2002, 14:56 (Ref:205768)   #9
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bella
having been sat in front of sociology books all afternoon that say that the world is increasingly meritocratic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Chris Y
----------------------------------

...and while you're explaining what you've done with Bella can you burn that book...meritocratic indeed, my !!!
Old 28 Jan 2002, 19:52 (Ref:205907)   #10
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah I cant think so forget it, its a stupid thread anyway with too many big words involved. Im not hanging round with you interlectuals no more
Old 29 Jan 2002, 10:50 (Ref:206185)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Re: to what extent is motorsport based on merit?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Y
my brain's been consumed by school. help. i need to go to a race, get drunk, and do some shouting oh, and evil me says bring a ransom of 3 bottles of ruth's evil wine to 192, evergreen terrace, springfield....

hey, francesca, it's all the bloody functionalists fault, they say everythings meritocratic.... fools.....