Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Apr 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3387573)   #126
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets face it champ, V8 Supercars could serve you a turd sandwich and you'd tell us how good it was. The racing was rubbish, the highlight according to you was car 888 not 'fluffing around'. The results on the weekend were as predictable as your posts here.
Old 1 Apr 2014, 21:19 (Ref:3387581)   #127
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Lets face it champ, V8 Supercars could serve you a turd sandwich and you'd tell us how good it was. The racing was rubbish, the highlight according to you was car 888 not 'fluffing around'. The results on the weekend were as predictable as your posts here.
No need for personal attacks

however i understand that some would think the racing was rubbish because there wasnt enough crashes or because they dont understand startegy

Because im looking for more than that i enjoyed the races
Old 1 Apr 2014, 21:58 (Ref:3387610)   #128
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your passive aggressive patronisation is duly noted.

You yourself said that Triple 8 are "fluffing around", yet you cited car 888's drive from the back as the highlight? You cant have it both ways, if they're "fluffing around" then it's hardly exciting when they carve a field up, is it?

For the record, not its not crashes that float my boat, but some level of actual racing particularly for some of the top spots would be nice (you know, like at Clipsal). And strategy? Rolling the dice and hoping for safety cars is hardy cutting edge motor racing strategy, but I follow more than one series so my understanding may be different to yours. Oops, was I being condescending with touches of inferiority complex overtones? Sorry...
Old 2 Apr 2014, 02:29 (Ref:3387660)   #129
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Lets face it champ, V8 Supercars could serve you a turd sandwich and you'd tell us how good it was.
I'd suggest that you've got the opposite approach.
  • Lowndes' drive through the field.
  • Team mates biffing each other off for the lead.
  • Scott McLaughlin's battle with Jamie Whincup - including his extraordinary first couple of laps on cold tyres
  • The battle between Davison and Coulthard over the closing stages of the Sunday race.

Not the greatest of all time, but if you can't find anything to like about that weekend, then the problem is more about your perception than the reality of the racing quality.
Old 2 Apr 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3387710)   #130
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Lowndes 25th to 5th No there was no passing at all. Saturdays races were both very enjoyable, they had both racing and passing and were entertaining. Shortage of crashes though so i understand some might think they were boring

I agree that the sunday race was less exciting , but its a race about strategy and some people dont understand races with strategy and make think its a snoozefest
I agree with pretty much all of this.

The Saturday races were great and it was a pity that the commentary team chose to make an issue of out nothing (the Lowndes/Whincup racing incident) rather than talk about the good racing that was going on.

I thought the Sunday race was good, (though any format that involves drivers making scheduled pitstops after 1 lap is ridiculous in my opinion).
Old 2 Apr 2014, 07:39 (Ref:3387713)   #131
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I agree with the 1st lap pit stops, but im accepting it for now because its about having all the cars equal

Hopefully not for too much longer though as the new cars work there stuff out
Old 2 Apr 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3388088)   #132
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I agree with pretty much all of this.

The Saturday races were great and it was a pity that the commentary team chose to make an issue of out nothing (the Lowndes/Whincup racing incident) rather than talk about the good racing that was going on.

I thought the Sunday race was good, (though any format that involves drivers making scheduled pitstops after 1 lap is ridiculous in my opinion).
The only reason for the first lap pit stop was to avoid stacking, so only the longest formats are going to avoid that. And, strangely, I think it helped improve 'the show'.

Tension of not knowing if Whincup would be able to emerge in front of Lowndes, cars on different strategies, different fuel loads and tyre wear doing battle (the Whincup/McLaughlin one an example). It helps facilitate passing and therefore less processional racing.

Might not work out that way this week of course.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 00:33 (Ref:3388106)   #133
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's basically the Supersprint rounds that are only going to get highlights packages on free to air. We've just had our first round under this format so lets look at some numbers.

According to the V8 Supercar website the two races on Saturday took 40 minutes and 42 minutes (82 minutes total).

The Sunday race took 75 minutes.

Once you factor in the commercial breaks and the unnecessary fluff we're going to miss out on half the races in a 1 hour highlights package...unless they mess with the formats yet again.

It's just not good enough.

For 90 minutes we could get all the racing in a neat little package.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3388109)   #134
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
So it's basically the Supersprint rounds that are only going to get highlights packages on free to air. We've just had our first round under this format so lets look at some numbers.

According to the V8 Supercar website the two races on Saturday took 40 minutes and 42 minutes (82 minutes total).

The Sunday race took 75 minutes.

Once you factor in the commercial breaks and the unnecessary fluff we're going to miss out on half the races in a 1 hour highlights package...unless they mess with the formats yet again.

It's just not good enough.

For 90 minutes we could get all the racing in a neat little package.
Sounds about right, but thats ok, as an AFL or NRL, A League, Cricket or Tennis fan you dont even get half the games, so you will be better off than those sports

Last edited by peckstar; 3 Apr 2014 at 00:52.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3388120)   #135
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No need for personal attacks

however i understand that some would think the racing was rubbish because there wasnt enough crashes or because they dont understand startegy

Because im looking for more than that i enjoyed the races
Whincup was mighty impressed with Lowndes startegy there at one stage ! Craig left him for dead!

I too enjoyed the racing even though there was no safety car interventions on Sunday. Mostly for the reasons already mentioned.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 03:00 (Ref:3388132)   #136
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Sounds about right, but thats ok, as an AFL or NRL, A League, Cricket or Tennis fan you dont even get half the games, so you will be better off than those sports
That's true, but the structuring and scheduling of the sports are so different any comparisons are fairly meaningless.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 04:40 (Ref:3388138)   #137
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
The only reason for the first lap pit stop was to avoid stacking, so only the longest formats are going to avoid that. And, strangely, I think it helped improve 'the show'.

Tension of not knowing if Whincup would be able to emerge in front of Lowndes, cars on different strategies, different fuel loads and tyre wear doing battle (the Whincup/McLaughlin one an example). It helps facilitate passing and therefore less processional racing.

Might not work out that way this week of course.
True, but (potentially getting off topic) i personally like to see the racing and passing done on the track, not in the pits. Cars passing eachother in the pits or emerging from the pits in a different order creates no tension or excitement for me, just frustration we missed a good battle on the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik
I too enjoyed the racing even though there was no safety car interventions on Sunday. Mostly for the reasons already mentioned.
I thought the lack of the safety car is what made the race even better. There was a natural 'play-out' of the race, and battles developed over the course of the event.
Old 3 Apr 2014, 04:49 (Ref:3388139)   #138
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
understand that im agreeing with you generally in your comment

but isnt what creates the interest in longer races the startegy that includes the pit stops and how you use tyres fuel etc. and thus passes happen in the pits because of that strategy

but definatly agree was interesting to see how those moves worked out without the SC, ideally that what is meant to happen. The cost is that the races end up to be less "exciting" where as the SC brings the field back together and means more passing and battles for position, rather than the faster cars pulling away.
This means some people think the race was boring
Old 3 Apr 2014, 05:30 (Ref:3388141)   #139
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
True, but (potentially getting off topic) i personally like to see the racing and passing done on the track, not in the pits. Cars passing eachother in the pits or emerging from the pits in a different order creates no tension or excitement for me, just frustration we missed a good battle on the track.

I thought the lack of the safety car is what made the race even better. There was a natural 'play-out' of the race, and battles developed over the course of the event.
Yeah, I do agree, passing is always better on the track. Most of this is subjective opinion on the merits anyway.

But the different strategies I thought contributed to the racing for reasons I've outlined before.
Old 3 May 2014, 03:28 (Ref:3401015)   #140
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Foxtel costs me $74 a month for just the sports channels and the default essentials channels...

I just ended up smoking less in the month so im still spending as much as what I was before getting Foxtel
Old 3 May 2014, 04:13 (Ref:3401020)   #141
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haha thats brilliant