Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Aug 2004, 01:07 (Ref:1072169)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alex Yoong signs with WPS

Courtesy of the WPS Racing Website:

YOONG EXTENDS DEAL WITH WPS RACING
20/08/2004
Alex Yoong, the ex-Formula One driver who is joining WPS Racing for the Sandown and Bathurst V8 Supercar Championship Series endurance events, has committed to the team as a fulltime driver.

Yoong today jumped at the chance to fill the vacancy created by this week’s departure of driver Mark Noske and he will immediately relocate from Malaysia to the WPS Racing home base on the Gold Coast.

He was offered the spot with WPS Racing by team owner Craig Gore, the chairman of team sponsor Wright Patton Shakespeare Financial Group, during a telephone hook-up on Wednesday evening.

The move means Yoong will pick up an additional three drives this year – the Gillette V8 Supercar Challenge during the Lexmark Indy 300 on the Gold Coast, the Triple Challenge in Tasmania and the Main Event at Eastern Creek in Sydney.

He has also signed an option giving him the opportunity to earn a fulltime drive for the 2005 season.

Yoong said he was surprised by the mid-season call up to pilot one of the two WPS Racing Ford Falcons alongside new team mate David Besnard.

“I have made no secret of the fact I was looking for a fulltime drive but it was somewhat of a surprise to get the call from Craig,” he said.

“I think most drivers have had their season end early at some stage in their career so I think we can all sympathise with Mark’s situation.

“That said, I now have the opportunity to prove myself in a new category and I’m rapt it is with Craig. He is focused on performance and that is obvious for all to see from the success of his businesses.

“When you have his level of commitment then you certainly give yourself every opportunity to succeed at the elite level, whether that be in business or motor racing.”

Yoong is due to fly into the Gold Coast on Friday night, barely 48 hours after being presented with the opportunity to drive with WPS Racing.

He will have three weeks to familiarise himself with his new team and surroundings although he won’t get the opportunity to test in the car ahead of the next event – the Betta Electrical Sandown 500 on September 10-12.

“I have had a couple of test sessions with WPS in preparation for the endurance events so I’m not coming in cold,” said Yoong.

“At least the endurance races will ensure I get a fair bit of time in the car and that should help me prepare for the additional three rounds at the end of the year.”

Gore said Yoong was now in line to make WPS Racing his long-time home.

“Alex has been thrown a challenge and if he rises to it, as we all expect he will, then you will be seeing a lot more of him into the future,” said Gore.

The 28-year-old Malaysian, the son of a former professional racing driver, has a celebrated history in motorsport.

He began racing motorcross at age eight and went on to become a teenage driving sensation in Asia before shifting to Europe to race in categories including the British Formula Renault Sport Championships, the British Formula 3 Championships, the Italian Formula 3000 and the International Formula 3000 Championships.

In 2001 he joined the European Minardi Formula One team and became the first Malaysian F1 competitor and the first Asian non-Japanese F1 driver in nearly half a century.

His top place in Formula One was a 7th in the 2002 Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

In 2003 he also competed in the US Champ Car World Series.

He has been seeking to break into Australia’s V8 Supercar series in 2004 and has shown good promise in his two test sessions with WPS Racing.

A decision is the new makeup of the WPS Racing endurance teams is imminent.

Already signed to drive are WPS Racing team driver’s Besnard and Yoong, along with Kiwi ace John McIntyre.

Noske’s departure opens up one more place in the team and negotiations are under way to fill that drive.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 01:09 (Ref:1072170)   #2
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How much did he pay for this seat ?

David
Old 20 Aug 2004, 01:11 (Ref:1072172)   #3
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope he gets better treatment than previous drivers, good luck alex. boy he is a nice guy.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 01:15 (Ref:1072174)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pay for the seat? Get a bloody grip.

John McIntyre would not be an unwise choice to put in a permanent seat in any team in 2005. He has the skill and prowess proven in an NZ V8 Touring Car and I am pretty sure that he has TraNZam (Sports Sedan-ish) mileage too.

We will just have to wait and see what happens - with both John and Alex.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 01:22 (Ref:1072177)   #5
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
OOps did I forget the

David
Old 20 Aug 2004, 04:07 (Ref:1072238)   #6
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a great result for Alex, although this signing does see a seat for a local talent disappear into the wilderness. None the less a coup for Aussie v8s and lets see how long it takes TC to get on the bandwagon with this one. Also to our fellow poster Ross C well done getting the negotiations done. And how about a few words Rosco.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 06:42 (Ref:1072311)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He still has to anounce his other driver's signings AAB. Maybe he is going to do them all at the one time.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 07:12 (Ref:1072330)   #8
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys,

Firstly my good wishes are with Mark, he and I have emailed each other and we both understand the situation. I wish him well for the future.

Secondly Alex is excited by the opportunity and i think will also be fairly tired when he lands at Brissy tonight. This is a fairly cutthroat Championship and he will not be spared of he cannot produce so there is also some expectation. On this one I claim no credit, we got a phonecall on Wednesday night and 15 min later Alex is booking a ticket to Aus.

There are a lot of thank-yous to hand out for this but Alex has said he wants to be the one to name names so expect to see something from him in the next 48 hours.

As to the other boys, yes there is interest and no I ain't saying. I respect a lot of the posters here and would rather say nothing than tell you rubbish, despite how hard that may become with friends. I am off to Qld next week to see how Alex is settling in and also see Cameron and talk over some things.

Cheers

Ross
Old 20 Aug 2004, 07:14 (Ref:1072331)   #9
Techo
Racer

Techo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a surprise !!

So unlike Seton's sale to FPR with a 2 year contract.
Mark gets the thanks very much for the franchise and all that--- bugger off ( I'II pay you out )...
I pretty sure he would have prefered to drive would'nt you.
They say Gory's a good businessman, well this is true of the business world -GOODBYE

Last edited by Techo; 20 Aug 2004 at 07:16.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 07:20 (Ref:1072336)   #10
lowndes6
Racer

lowndes6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really Yoong is a good as driver as Noske. I dont think these two are particulary good drivers. Nokse was used for his franchise and Yoong has paid his way for a drive.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1072340)   #11
ADZ351
Rookie

ADZ351 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by lowndes6
Really Yoong is a good as driver as Noske. I dont think these two are particulary good drivers. Nokse was used for his franchise and Yoong has paid his way for a drive.
How much did Craig G, Alex Y and Lowndes6 decide he had to pay to get the drive???

Lowndes6, why do you just post fanatasy with no fact to back it up?
Old 20 Aug 2004, 07:49 (Ref:1072355)   #12
jimmycourier
Racer

jimmycourier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes6, it's a cutthroat business and all our thoughts go out to Mark. On the other side of the coin, Alex is an extremely talented driver, his record shows that.. It is a credit to the championship that we can attract such a level, also to WPS, they have obviously set themselves some very high goals.. good luck to all.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1072523)   #13
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats Alex, I know you will make everyone stand up and take notice. To all those that ask what he payed just consider this, the profile lift he will bring to this team will mean more to them than a hand full of $$$$ I just wish everyone would lay off and give the guy a go.
Old 20 Aug 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1072566)   #14
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Gore has his 2 new drivers in mind - will be announced soon.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 20 Aug 2004, 12:12 (Ref:1072625)   #15
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beatcha I am with you, and like it or nor it is my belief that Gore pays Yoong not the other way round a few here might just eat there words.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1073321)   #16
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is Craig Gore looking to expand his business interests into S.E Asia? Would be another good reason for hiring Alex.
I wish them all the best.
Old 21 Aug 2004, 00:40 (Ref:1073329)   #17
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has a business in China.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 21 Aug 2004, 05:53 (Ref:1073408)   #18
valtheval
Rookie

valtheval should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MONEY IS AS SWEET AS HONEY

Quote:
Originally posted by DKGandBH
How much did he pay for this seat ?

David
Money is a sweet as honey ,
Oh no as if they would pay for their seat when running around down the rear of the field.
Maybe not pay for it but in the shuffle their wages would be paid out of Dads contribution to the team,
the team is paying whoever wages no doubt but who contributed that funding to the team is the real question,
& if the new team wanted to set the world on fire & pay the wages themselves why hire none other but a top ten gun performer.
Get the franchise, get you out & onto the next punter is my thoughts