Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 26 May 2003, 00:07 (Ref:610015)   #1
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curious on what you thought of ABC's coverage of the Indy 500

I never really cared for ABC's race coverage and think it has gotten worse, exspecially the last 3 years.

I only watched the last 2 thirds of the 500 today.
Paul Page made some mistakes (though I didn't count how many) and I think they could have some one much better for commentary

Jack Arute.... I thought he was very rude at the end of the race_ could he stick the microphone any farther into Gil's face.... I mean come on he just won the Indy 500, let him celabrate a little bit without shoving the microphone in his face.

Just curious on others opinions of todays coverage, and ABC's coverage of the IRL in general?
Old 26 May 2003, 00:57 (Ref:610036)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forget who said it, but it's true that Britons loved Murray Walker's gaffs because, well, he's Murray.

Paul Page is no Murray Walker.

I only watch one IRL race a year, but I saw these shmucks butcher CART coverage for years. Thank goodness they're gone from that capacity! *spits*

Speed Channel/CBS did _such_ a great job with the Lausitz race, half a world away from home! ABC's team could learn a lot from them.
Old 26 May 2003, 01:25 (Ref:610043)   #3
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jack Arute always acts like a jerk. He kinda seems high on himself, and he's one of those TG butt kissers. Thank God Gil's dad wasn't a racing driver, or we'd have to listen to him try to get Gil to cry...
Old 26 May 2003, 02:03 (Ref:610056)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd prefer to listen to Page et al to the dull, emotionless **** that was broadcast on free to air TV in Australia...
Old 26 May 2003, 15:36 (Ref:610543)   #5
double00
Rookie

double00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather listen to Paul Page & Scott Goodyear, instead of Bob Jenkins. The man made the 1999 Indy 500 a snooze fest. Page is the Man!
Old 26 May 2003, 16:06 (Ref:610579)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did not watch ABC's coverage (I had better things to do - I was at the track), and I have the same approach as Lee Janotta's regarding "what race to watch on TV), but, regardless, Paul Page has been slipping down for years now, and Jack Arute could rename himself Jock Arute or Jerk Arute.

He is, in my opinion, one of the worst broadcasters I have ever seen in American TV, since I started to pick up its signals by the mid-eighties.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:11 (Ref:610586)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by evo
(...)Thank God Gil's dad wasn't a racing driver, or we'd have to listen to him try to get Gil to cry...
Luc de Ferran is Gil's dad. Luc used to be the head of Ford Brazil truck division, and he worked for this American manufacturer for decades. Luc de Ferran retired a few years ago, and Gil has a profound admiration for his father, what Gil many times expressed in public.

Gil was actually born in Paris - when his dad was serving a stint at Ford France.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:17 (Ref:610591)   #8
double00
Rookie

Okay, but have you ever heard Page on Indy 500 Films??? He's still the man in my opinion, rightfully coming back to Indy after being banished to CART a while back. Scott Goodyear's a great broadcaster anyalist as well.
Old 26 May 2003, 16:35 (Ref:610616)   #9
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am Luke warm about Page, there are things I like about his commentary and things I do not... Scott Goodyear is okay but not sure if that is a good partnership.

Maybe they should put in another person or add someone else in addition?

All their pit reporters I do not care for...they need all new people there in my opinon

Jerk Arute should be axed from racing coverage..ABC should leave him to college football or Iceskating or something if they want to keep him around
Old 26 May 2003, 16:47 (Ref:610620)   #10
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by double00
Okay, but have you ever heard Page on Indy 500 Films??? He's still the man in my opinion, rightfully coming back to Indy after being banished to CART a while back. Scott Goodyear's a great broadcaster anyalist as well.
Hello double00,

Your comments goes in line with my thoughts - indeed, Page is great in specials, but he is lacking "live firepower" lately. When the action is pre-recorded and he does his job from the studio he is still great, and has a passionate voice, but he is not showing the same commitment or interest when the deal is a live transmission (is it possible that this reflects how he feels about CART and IRL? Page made many anti-IRL statements on tv until part of his salary begun to be paid by Tony "The Devil Himself" George...)

And yes, Scott Goodyear is suprisingly good, isn't he? He is much better than guys like Parker Johnstone.
Old 26 May 2003, 18:34 (Ref:610712)   #11
double00
Rookie

I really havent heard any of those statements Page said in the past eight years honestly. Could you give an example?

Parker's okay, but he's definetly no Goodyear, [Bobby] Unser, or Sullivan. I Guess Sneva also ranks up there....
Old 26 May 2003, 19:29 (Ref:610755)   #12
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, Double 00,

I ought to retract from my comments above, which are incorrect - and unfair to Page. The statements I clearly remember Paul Page making were regretting the split between CART and IRL, and not against IRL. I recall for example, when he feared for the future of open wheel racing in the United States on a special aired by ABC some years ago (1997?).

Muzza
Old 26 May 2003, 19:55 (Ref:610771)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's just say the coverage of Cart has improved 1000% since SpeedTV and CBS took it over...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 May 2003, 21:23 (Ref:610851)   #14
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Let's just say the coverage of Cart has improved 1000% since SpeedTV and CBS took it over...
Oh yes, you've got that right.
Old 26 May 2003, 21:30 (Ref:610858)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Here's some news that you may have missed if you were listening to the commentators.

6th: Alex Barron
7th: Tony Renna
8th: Greg Ray
9th: Al Unser Jr
10th: Roger Yasukawa
11th: Buddy Rice
12th: Vitor Meira
13th: Jimmy Kite
14th: Shinji Nakano

They barely mentioned these chaps all race. Some of these may be the future of racing. How can people connect with them if they are treated as invisible?

Something that always impresses me about NASCAR coverage in the past is that they would (say) mention Joe Nemecheck running 5th, talk about him having run quite well all day (mention his sponsor), say he's won a few, talk a little about him. They do this with most drivers. Why can the IRL people not do this with the also-rans? That would get their names across (they never stopped mentioning 4oyt, usually in the context of 'mobile chicane' which went unsaid) and please the sponsors. No, as usual nothing exists behind the first 2.
Old 26 May 2003, 23:35 (Ref:610973)   #16
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Parker was a very good colour commentator. Very articulate and never talking down to the people watching on television.
Old 27 May 2003, 12:02 (Ref:611348)   #17
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When do we get to hear what the viewing figures are? It doesn't really register outside of the U.S. so it's difficult to know if it's still a big deal over there... Are we talking of the order of an F1 race ('bout 400 million)?
Old 27 May 2003, 18:19 (Ref:611705)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul Page ruins telecasts for me...I usually tune in the IRL network on radio and watch the video when they aren't racing at Indy...

and I agree...SpeedChannel and CBS add a great deal to the CART telecasts..first rate all the way...

Final Note:

Alex Barron deserves a Full-Time Ride!!!!!!

Too much tlanet to be shopping, helmet in hand, begging for work....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 00:19 (Ref:621296)   #19
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you Tim. IMO i really don't think Page keeps up with the racing news in the off season. Seems like at the start of every year he messes up new drivers names, team changes, all kinds of stuff he ends up apologizing for.I remember watching him come out of a beer tent, get on a golf cart, fall off the golf cart, then try to interview Christan Fittapaldi at the Molson Indy a few years back. Christan shook his head in disgust and walked away.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 02:57 (Ref:621356)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by David A Brown
I remember watching him come out of a beer tent, get on a golf cart, fall off the golf cart, then try to interview Christan Fittapaldi at the Molson Indy a few years back. Christan shook his head in disgust and walked away.

Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:39 (Ref:621795)   #21
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Paul Page and am glad he drinks because I like to drink. Pay attention when he gets excited during a race. He sounds exactly like George Castanza on Seinfeld! funny stuff!