Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2003, 14:15 (Ref:597938)   #1
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualify Still Faster Than Race?

I've been looking at the qualifying, and the Saturday qualifying times at Barcelona were still around 2s quicker than the fastest lap of the race. Now supposedly their qualifying the cars they race, so why is this happening?
Old 13 May 2003, 14:59 (Ref:597976)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is an indicator of how important driving style and tyre conservation is. It is possible to thrash out a fast lap and shred the tyres in the process - if they did qualifying-pace laps in the race itself they'd be needing new rubber within four or five laps.

The other thing that might be going on, and certainly has been strongly rumoured in the case of Bridgestone, is tyre preparation with chemicals: The idea is that a solution is applied to fresh tyres which makes the first few mm of rubber ultra-tacky - this then wears away and leaves a "normal" tyre underneath. Many have argued that this is illegal because the regulations call for an even material all the way through the tyre, but since the practice isn't specifically banned I guess it just comes down to the usual stuff about arguing over the phrasing of the rules. Anyway, if this is going on you can be sure that Michelin must be up to it as well because otherwise we'd have heard more about it.
Old 13 May 2003, 16:46 (Ref:598094)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We have seen that the fastest times have been set at the begining of a stint rather than at the end. Indicating that new tyres are more important than low fuel. According to Alan Jenkins this was worth 0.15s a lap at Barcelona (which was particularly hard on tyres).

I think Glen is spot on, no one comes out after a pit stop and goes for a qualifying lap because it will be detrimental to the rest of the stint.

Additionally the conditions are perfect for a fast lap on Saturday. There is nothing else to worry about, no other comprimises and no other traffic. All this becomes more important than the fatc that the drivers might not be fully dialled in after only one warn up lap (they'll be almost there).
Old 13 May 2003, 19:02 (Ref:598225)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Besides what has already been said we also have to consider that during a race strategy has to be at the forefront. If You are leading and are not able to check out then more than likely your line will be more defensive (slower). The person in 2nd will also be slowed by the over cautious driver ahead of him. Look at the DaMatta vs. RS scenario in the last race. It allowed much slower cars to catch up.

This was the main purpose for the FIA changing the fueling rules. Otherwise the fast Ferrari's would still be in front and would still check out.
Old 14 May 2003, 13:44 (Ref:598753)   #5
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
The other thing that might be going on, and certainly has been strongly rumoured in the case of Bridgestone, is tyre preparation with chemicals: The idea is that a solution is applied to fresh tyres which makes the first few mm of rubber ultra-tacky - this then wears away and leaves a "normal" tyre underneath. Many have argued that this is illegal because the regulations call for an even material all the way through the tyre, but since the practice isn't specifically banned I guess it just comes down to the usual stuff about arguing over the phrasing of the rules. Anyway, if this is going on you can be sure that Michelin must be up to it as well because otherwise we'd have heard more about it.
In the highly technical world of FVee, this is known as 'sticky paint' I'm surprised such as thing has a use in F1, especially Barcelona as it wears off pretty quickly.
Old 14 May 2003, 13:53 (Ref:598759)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lasts about one lap you mean? That would be ideal.
Old 14 May 2003, 15:44 (Ref:598873)   #7
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
actually, on the way out of the paddock we pick up so many cigarette butts, stones, bits of paper and other rubbish - it probably hinders the thing!
Old 15 May 2003, 04:59 (Ref:599329)   #8
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmm, but by the third car out the track is cleaner on line I guess on friday and saturday.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:11 (Ref:599876)   #9
Mansell
Rookie

Mansell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am affraid Ferrari found a loop hole that allows them to refuel just before the race.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:17 (Ref:599887)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheese... how I missed that... Nice entrance Nige. Welcome to 1010ths.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:19 (Ref:599889)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't make that sort comment without backing it up Nige! Welcome to Ten-Tenths.
Old 15 May 2003, 16:38 (Ref:599928)   #12
Mansell
Rookie

Mansell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks
Old 15 May 2003, 19:51 (Ref:600145)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Sheese... how I missed that... Nice entrance Nige. Welcome to 1010ths.
I'm afraid he won't be able to reply, Red. The old Mansell has lost his seat in this space and has vanished into retirement...
Old 17 May 2003, 03:25 (Ref:601559)   #14
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it has been a while since the last the last time the A1-Ring was raced on, it's possible that the race laps will be as fast or faster than qualifying as rubber is laid down.