Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Nov 2005, 04:34 (Ref:1466122)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1965 vs 1986 (Vasser/Ranger)

I'm at work tonight, and while waiting for the computer to get through some stuff, am peeking in at 10/10ths, noticed that today is both Vasser's and Ranger's birthdays, but couldn't help wondering what its like for Vasser to realize that when he was 21, this baby was popping out of his mother, and lo and behold, 18-19 years later, the little tyke is racing against you....

must be weird.

btw, any news of Vasser and will he be driving next season?
Old 21 Nov 2005, 05:08 (Ref:1466130)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The "changing of the guard" is sad, but inevitable. Hopefully most of these young guns will stick around for as long as Vasser and Tracy have.

No word from Jimmy yet regarding his future. If he decides to hang up his helmet, he would certainly have done so quietly and with great honour.

How many consecutive starts did he end up with? There's a record that's unlikely to ever be broken.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 05:54 (Ref:1466137)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
231 starts, 210 consecutive.
Old 21 Nov 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1466558)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think it's an unbeatable record, especially if we get back to 20 races a year and the safety continues to improve, but it's certainly impressive, and a great indication of what a stalwart Jimmy has been to the series. As 2005 has been one of his better seasons in recent years, desite the extra hassle of running a team, he must be willing to consider staying with the team. it may depend on what da Matta does, especially if Ryan Dalziel has a contract.

What is the biggest ever generation gap between two driver in a race? Al Snr and Al Jnr msut have more than 21 years between them, and Mari anbd mcihael might be the record age gap between team-mates?
Old 21 Nov 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1466631)   #5
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
> What is the biggest ever generation gap between two driver in a race
> might be the record age gap between team-mates?

What about Paul Newman and Gunnar Jeannette in the same car at Daytona? -- PLN born 26 Jan 1925, Gunnar Jeannette born May 5th 1982. I make that 57 and a bit years.... I can't imagine there ever having been much bigger age gaps between team-mates, or in major international races.

As for the biggest age gap in any race, I would guess that it's between the legendary Tom Delaney and someone in a VSCC race - Tom was still racing his Lea Francis at the age of 92... so anyone over 34 would be a bigger age-gap than PLN and Gunnar (not that there's many 'youngsters' in the VSCC).
Old 22 Nov 2005, 00:26 (Ref:1467031)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the gap thing is what I was thinking of, thanks for the various examples. I met Jeannette at the Trois Rivieres ALMS race I think 3 yrs ago, he was driving a batmobile type Panoz, it even struck me even that this driver was a good 20 years younger than me, but Newman--man, 57 years younger. wow.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1467523)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good stuff, and a measure of how impressive Paul and Tom's longevity has been, even if topline single-seaters are much more physical to drive. As an aside, the F1 record between team-mates might've been Fangio and Moss at Mercedes, at least 20 years off the top of my head.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1467612)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another thing I'm starting to realise, in my case though, is that Ranger is one year younger than me. A Spanish film director (David Trueba) said "you start getting old when the sportsmen you like are younger than you", and well, I guess I'm growing old...
Old 22 Nov 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1467712)   #9
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a preview of a movie that Vasser is going to be in called Dust to Glory - Mario Andretti will be in it too from the looks of the preview.
Old 22 Nov 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1467823)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
I saw a preview of a movie that Vasser is going to be in called Dust to Glory - Mario Andretti will be in it too from the looks of the preview.
Dust to Glory is out already, and was released onto DVD on August 23rd. Haven't seen it yet, but the trailer on the official site looks great.

Supposedly the guy who did D2G will be the director of the movie about the Ultimate Rally next year.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1468388)   #11
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks very much. I've not been able to find the movie so far so I sure appreciate your link! It sure got me excited!