Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Jul 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1655072)   #1
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya NASCAR debut next week?!

The 'Motorsport News' magazine Platinum (subscription) website here in Australia is reporting that JPM will debut in the Martinsville Busch race NEXT WEEK. The mag, which is well-reputed, is claiming an 'exclusive' on this. They must have someone on the inside over there. While JPM has to satisfy NASCAR that he is up to it (they allowed Paul Tracy straight in earlier in the year) the idea is to do enough Busch races so that Montoya is suitably qualified in time for the NEXTEL Cup Daytona 500 early next year. Interesting!!! Look out Martinsville!
Old 13 Jul 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1655325)   #2
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would certainly be interesting and it would make sense to start him on a short track to begin with. I know there is talk he will begin in ARCA and Cup cars next month at Michigan and possibly run California. I imagine he will run as many races as possible on a variety of tracks depending on sponsorship. He can't run more than 7 races in Busch or Cup though without losing his ability to run for rookie of the year next season.

J.D.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 14:30 (Ref:1655401)   #3
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My bet would be Watkins Glen.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 14:34 (Ref:1655406)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm rather doubtful we'll see Montoya that early, especially as Ganassi himself has said the aim is to have Montoya get behind the wheel of a stock car in about a month. He has also said that the preparations for the upcoming Busch and NEXTEL Cup races have been made already and are all but impossible to change.

Then again, if there's something we've learned the past week it is that in the world of motorsports anything can happen, so who knows?
Old 13 Jul 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1655409)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
My bet would be Watkins Glen.
Mine too - only problem is what Ganassi has said recently, and that is that getting Montoya tracktime on the road courses is quite far down on their list of priorities (for obvious reasons, I reckon).
Old 13 Jul 2006, 15:04 (Ref:1655427)   #6
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Mine too - only problem is what Ganassi has said recently, and that is that getting Montoya tracktime on the road courses is quite far down on their list of priorities (for obvious reasons, I reckon).
Yeah, true! But think about the publicity they would get, it may make Chip change his decision. Then again, JPM will have more to lose on a road course than on an oval, although that will probably not stop him from climbing into a car.

I just can't wait to see Montoya in Nascar!
Old 13 Jul 2006, 15:06 (Ref:1655428)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We don't have details of the first test, or even when he will sit in the car for the first time.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1655526)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't see it happening, it is just too soon. Many things to sort out first!
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1655601)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I can't see it happening, it is just too soon. Many things to sort out first!
His McLaren contract for starters!
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1655621)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't imagine Ron Dennis standing in JPM's way no, having agreed to release him.

Next month seems like a more sensible time to make his debut, with 7 races over the course of the rest of the Busch season, and perhaps a couple of Nextel starts if he really shines.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1655654)   #11
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry folks, I can't imagine JPM, Ganassi or Ron organising anything before speaking to us on 10 Tenths....
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1655663)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Earliest I heard which was from a reliable source and that was as earliest as August.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1655683)   #13
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
a reliable source
Care to explain a little more?
Old 13 Jul 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1655725)   #14
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't expect to see him in Nextel Cup for a little while. I think he and Ganassi are too smart to just throw him into the fire. I think Montoyo can make it in Nascar but lets give him a fighting chance. He needs some experience in the 3400 lb stock cars. The braking and turning are completely different from what he is used to. Give him some practice time and then some Busch races before turning him loose in Cup.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:29 (Ref:1655754)   #15
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but Juan is a CAR control master- breaking and Tun in are small issue fo him to deal with-its 42 other 3400lb monsters roaring around him
Old 13 Jul 2006, 23:50 (Ref:1655767)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
but Juan is a CAR control master- breaking and Tun in are small issue fo him to deal with-its 42 other 3400lb monsters roaring around him
Gotta disagree with you. Juan will have to ease of the throttle way earlier than he is used to doing and braking will be completely different for him. Even Juan stated after his trial run.....the car won't turn. Don't get me wrong. I think Juan is good and believe he will be good in Nascar. However, the cars and driving are very different from F1. Lets give him a good chance.

Not to mention the difference in the tracks. With the exception of the "cookie cutters" almost every track is different from each other and many quite significantly. The track distances, layout, paving, banking, turns, straights, etc. I would almost quarantee that he would put the car into the wall at Darlington. Hell, everyone else does.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1655908)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Care to explain a little more?
I'm guessing it's Ganassi himself who in numerous interviews has said they hope to have Montoya behind the wheel of a stock car in about a month (in other words, sometime in August)
Old 14 Jul 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1656056)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, that is the general feeling isn't it?

And what Ganassi says must surely be what we go on?
Old 14 Jul 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1656073)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Indeed. Also, I'm sure Ganassi would love to get Montoya out on track earlier, but because NASCAR teams prepare for upcoming tests and races several weeks, sometimes months, in advance, it's not just possible to set something up out of the blue.

Still, since Montoya got his release from McLaren we will nonetheless see Montoya make his stock car debut much sooner than initially expected, and that is just fine by me
Old 14 Jul 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1656248)   #20
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love your new signature rusty.
Old 14 Jul 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1656468)   #21
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Juan Pablo Montoya could return to Formula One this season and will not be allowed to race in NASCAR until his McLaren contract ends, team boss Ron Dennis said on Friday. "Juan Pablo is fully contracted through to the end of the year," Dennis told a French Grand Prix news conference.

"And if we so choose, he will test and race again," he added. "That is our option, nobody else's."

Dennis added that the chance of Montoya coming back was "more than possible".

source: Eurosport.com
Old 14 Jul 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1656480)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I expect that to be resolved, somehow.

I hope so, as they ain't gonna recall Juan Pablo. If they just let him rot for the rest of the season, that's pretty sad.
Old 18 Jul 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1659358)   #23
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Busch entry list doesnt have Montoya on it, so he wont be racing this weekend.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1660595)   #24
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Ganassi would like to have Montoya in a stock car by the middle of next month, but his hands are tied until Montoya gets his full release from McLaren.

McLaren's Ron Dennis reportedly said Montoya would not compete or test for Ganassi until the end of the year unless a financial settlement is reached.

Source: nascar.com

Why doesn't Ron just tear up the contract he has with Juan Pablo? You could see that as a financial settlement, because then he doesn't have to pay him anymore. I don't know what Mclaren pay Montoya at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they pay him more than my boss is paying me! From my point of view Ron is in a no win situation. JUST LET MONTOYA GO!!!

It would be great if Montoya can have his debut in the Busch series in mid August, which would be racing at the Glen. His second race would then be in Michigan, were he has raced before (not that there are much corners to learn on the ovals). His third race could then be in Bristol, were he will really enjoy himself I think...
Old 20 Jul 2006, 17:49 (Ref:1660947)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know the ins and outs of the situation, but I don't get how Dennis is entitled to make Montoya sit the rest of the season out.

Does he not have a right to do the job he is contracted for?

Tags
jpm