Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Oct 2002, 20:04 (Ref:414930)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let the Whining Begin

From SpeedTV.com:

Of course, given Andretti-Green Racing’s impending lock, stock and barrel move to the Indy Racing League, ulterior motives crept into the speculation.

"This is a real disappointment - it looks like it became political out there," said Andretti, whose day was already bad enough thanks to his central role in the first-lap accident. "I thought Team Motorola made the right call bringing me in on Lap 16 because then I would not have had to pit before the race became official. So it’s just terribly disappointing."

Chief Steward Chris Kneifel said that Lap 41 was eventually selected as the target distance but he didn’t reveal why the checkered flag came out at the end of Lap 40.

"We wanted to make a fair decision that had everyone making the same number of pit stops," Kneifel explained. "We were in a situation where no matter where we came down on this one, it wasn’t going to be pretty. We’re very aware of that. Days like this don’t make us happy. It’s our job to make the best decisions we can, to be fair and have integrity and move along. I can assure you that any insinuation that I or my fellow stewards did something based on doing something wrong to Michael Andretti because of his decision to go race in another series…that’s just wrong."

May we expect a big fat fine and a race ban for dissing the officials in public?
Old 27 Oct 2002, 20:25 (Ref:414949)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that was funny... Everytime Michael or Dario have a bad session, or just stub their toe their going to claim that it's because they're going to the IRL next year.

In all fairness to Cart, as much of a mess this was (should have ended earlier), they never did say it would end on lap 36...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:08 (Ref:414979)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly- there was no reason at all to float around for another 4 laps when there was absolutely no chance of a restart... quite baffling...
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:12 (Ref:414985)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not take Kneifel at his word and just believe that they wanted everyone to make two pit stops? That way they didn't have to hear the whole field screaming that Mikey hadn't made a pit stop on Lap 20 as the rules required and he hadn't really won. As they all said, no matter what decision they made, they would have got it from somebody.

Bruno opined that they should have ended the race with the last Green Flag lap, which would have given him second place. There is absolutely no justification for that, IMO.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 21:56 (Ref:415027)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
"No matter what decision they made, they would have got it from somebody."

Spot-on there, Liz.

What's with this "gag-order"? Wish I could read it. Does it specifically mention PT by name? Andretti, Franchitti and Kanaan sure seem to be able to speak their minds!

Last edited by macdaddy; 27 Oct 2002 at 21:56.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:13 (Ref:415047)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any move CART makes is going to be criticised by someone, so let's ignore it...
Old 27 Oct 2002, 22:56 (Ref:415088)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was the correct decision to make everyone stop twice. Making Andretti lose was just a sweetner. But I don't believe in that conspiracy garbage.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 23:17 (Ref:415106)   #8
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to hear a half plausible reason that it went past 36 laps - it was nearly dark, everyone had gone home, even Channel 10 couldn't be bothered waiting for the last few laps. At least if they stopped at 36 laps the winner could have taken some (not much!) credit for it, they picked it first what was going to happen - People over here aren't into the IRL vs CART thing - most wouldn't even know what they are - when the race kept going past 36 laps it lost what little credibility the afternoon had left.
There were alot of "once a year" racing watchers who thought it was the most ridiculous thing they had seen - and it was very hard to explain otherwise - although there was a couple of good races coming out of pit lane!
Old 27 Oct 2002, 23:24 (Ref:415113)   #9
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not such a baffling decision(going from 36-40laps). They decided to call it it after all the runners had completed a minimum of two stops, that way they couldn't be accused of favouring one team or driver-trying to be fair, but given the conditions it was no way. Whatever they did it was going to be upsetting for someone. they should have red flagged it till the rain stopped and if it didn't stop-well no-one 'won' which may have been more equitable in the circumstances.Darkness was also closing in.
Old 27 Oct 2002, 23:49 (Ref:415133)   #10
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree it should have been red flagged - it was obvious at the track the rain had set in, but if the rules allow the race to "called" after 36 laps everyone should have known that. The teams that pitted lap 16/17 had punted on the rain staying, which it did. To keep circulating (after 36) in the dark, after everyone (including Oz TV) had gone home, turned it into a complete farce (as opposed to a slight farce!)
Old 28 Oct 2002, 01:17 (Ref:415162)   #11
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the real reason CART went to the 41 laps instead of 36 was because Mikey Andretti had to come in ON lap 36 for his pit stop effectively handing the win to whoever was behind him. Now here was the problem his pit stall was BEFORE the start finish line, so CART told the team you guys have to pit you can't keep going on the track and take the checkers. If his pit stall would have been past the checkers in pit lane no problem. I remember F1's Micheal Schumacher doing that a few years ago and taking the checkers in the pits. Anyways Team Green said BU**S*it we are not piting we are gonna take the checkers, they were about to break the rule and try to get away with it. So think about it if CART went to 36 laps Mikey dosen't come in for the pit stop, takes the checkers they award the win to (I think Vasser was behind him) Vasser now then the world would say how can you do this to our precious little Mikey he should have won! Or if they gave the win to Mikey the rest of the teams would have said hey wait a minute we pitted in the alloted laps how can Mikey get away with that, NO GETTING AROUND THIS AT ALL!!!!!!! Maybe CART should look at getting rid of this mandatory pitting business next year then we wouldn't be talking about this at all.

Either way you look at it if these paranoid crybabies don't get on the podium before they move to those crapwagons next year they cry foul and claim CART is out to get them! I don't think CART is out to get these individuals but I do think they need to bash heavy fines for the **** they are pulling in the press. Maybe CART dosen't want to start something and are staying quiet I don't know but a 50-100000 fine for Kanann and Mikey for their comments the last two races that CART is doing this or that because they're moving to crapwagons would shut them up! Every time those 3 crybabies have a bad weekend they bash CART on tv for everyone to see, maybe they should look in the mirror and stop blaming others for their incompetence!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 01:57 (Ref:415178)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The worst part of the weekend was the fact CART seemed to shy away from making a decision which as a paying spectator was incredibly frustrating. I personally still can't understand what purpose running around behind the pace car for 41 laps serves but i assume they had their reasons although having a guy win a race that was four seconds a lap slower all weekend is farcical.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 02:06 (Ref:415183)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is going to sound bad, but from a spectator's point of view I'd rather they trundle around for 20 more laps in the wet giving some amazing photo opportunities rather than calling it a day. I'm sure there are going to be some really neat pics from those laps with the sky getting darker, the street lights and the rain... Yeah, that sounded bad...but my silly opinion.

Cart was definately in a lose-lose situation as far as a call goes. If they'd stopped it at 36 they'd have different teams and drivers complaining. Honestly, if they didn't stop it around lap 20, they probably did the best thing, as it was only around 35-36 that it was completely obvious there'd be no more racing. Then it was just a matter of letting people do their second pitstops and calling it a day.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Oct 2002, 02:07 (Ref:415184)   #14
Liz
Veteran

It's a race we won't soon tire of discussing, anyway. And how thankful I am that we are not memorializing a dead driver. Did you see the marks on Adrian's roll hoop and helmet?

That's two for Adrian. I would not start another race this year if I were he.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 03:02 (Ref:415206)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's hard to take the photos in the rain, because the wet stuff ruins your camera

CART's prefered situation would be to come back on Monday (beautiful sunshine ), but for contractual and logistical reasons, that couldn't happen.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 08:50 (Ref:415277)   #16
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also hard to take photos in the dark and dim conditions becoz you'd need a lens about f 2 or brighter/faster
Old 28 Oct 2002, 10:41 (Ref:415329)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should've run the full 50 behind the safety car to see what happened

I wouldn't have a clue whether there was a conspiracy or not. You'd hope not, but there are facts there to support it, just as there are facts there to support the 2 stop deal. Prizemoney could also have come into it i heard, there was $100,000? up for grabs, by a team destined for CART next year winning, along with a CART 2003 engine, the prizemoney stays in the series. Plus there is also the thing that by Mario winning it kept the streak alive of no driver winning the race twice.

The thing that adds to the suspicion is that CART never said they were going on to Lap 41 until lap 36. All indications prior to that had been that it would finish on lap 36. There was an obvious problem with CART communication, like at the original start, the single file/two by two thing had changed about 4 times, nobody knew what was happening. That can't look good.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 11:53 (Ref:415383)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was never any confirmation from race control that the race would stop at 36. That was just teams planning for something they hoped would happen. But Mikey not winning was a perfect result. Hope he keeps complaining in the Invisible League so he drives TG nuts!!!

I think the correct decision was made regarding everyone make 2 pit stops.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 12:05 (Ref:415391)   #19
Liz
Veteran

The big bottom line here is the Chief Steward, who is a dithering circus clown. (Fine me if you dare!) He presented the appearance of a man who was praying that some magical solution would present itself and absolve him of making any kind of decision at all. We need a Chief Steward like Carl Haas who can just make a decision and say "That's my decision and No Questions."

Chris Kneifel just isn't up to the job.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:53 (Ref:415538)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Won't happen again, though. There won't be mandatory pitstops next year, so they can safely end the race at half-distance without fear of screwing anybody.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 16:39 (Ref:415595)   #21
Liz
Veteran

I notice in the quotes that only the people leaving the series are claiming the results are rigged. Wonder if they said that after the IRL 500?
Old 28 Oct 2002, 21:18 (Ref:415859)   #22
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, if Tony can do it at Indy..........
Only thing sweeter would have been if PT would have won it.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 22:00 (Ref:415887)   #23
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I swear I saw Slyvester Stallone driving one of those cars........

Alan
Old 28 Oct 2002, 23:24 (Ref:415970)   #24
Liz
Veteran

He was standing up in the stands yelling 'SEE? SEE? I TOLD YOU THEY COULD FLY!"

I was really hoping PT could have won. But that would have been too Hollywood I guess.