Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 May 2001, 11:26 (Ref:93535)   #1
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya - Whining ?

Juan Pablo Montoya has lashed out at the BMW Williams F1 team for favouring his more experienced teammate Ralf Schumacher over him and not treating them as equals. Speaking in this week's Autosport Magazine the Colombian said that there were things with the team that were displeasing him, but would not go into details about what.

“There's a lot of things going at the moment in the team that I am not happy with. I don't think I get any less than Ralf, but with him having the experience, the team at this point is around him. He is not more of a voice, but he has just a little bit more, especially with BMW.”

Hmmm...Thats not going to please Patrick and Frank..or BMW for that matter.....

Wont please Ralf either but I doubt he cares what Montoya thinks..
Old 17 May 2001, 11:35 (Ref:93540)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before the season started, Autosport carried a lot of whining, complaining and Montoya-bashing by Baby Brother, who maintained that Montoya was an upstart, a brat, a showoff and not as good as he is. This is the way competitive racing pilots behave. And I daresay Montoya's stock is high enough in Williams to allow him to say what he thinks. Besides, Williams likes their pilots to speak up.
Old 17 May 2001, 12:14 (Ref:93547)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Liz,

I don't recall any accusations of "Monty bashing" from Ralf pre-season. In fact I don't think he's said much about JPM at any time. There was the "alleged" spat which both drivers played down.

I suspect that JPM has had his wrist slapped for being a little over zealous and this is his reaction. It seems strange to me that he's suddenly changed his tack from that of the weekend when he was upbeat and backing the team.

BTW. Whilst he's led a couple of races, his season still resembles that of AZ a couple of years back. Wonder if that'ss going through his mind?
Old 17 May 2001, 12:32 (Ref:93551)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it doesn't. Zanardi was nowhere near the front in his year at Williams, besides JPM would have won in Brazil had it not been for one certain flying Dutchman. Also remember Zanardi scored 0 - zero - points in 99, while Montoya already has a second place and 6 points to his name so far this season. So I disagree completely with this comparison.

Concerning JPM's comments, he's probably spot on. Ralf has more experience with the team, not to forget he has won a race, so if any advantages are being distributed, either from Williams, BMW or Michelin, they're more likely to go in Ralf's favour. Remember last season, Ralf had on occasion a more powerful engine than Button. And this season we've heard that there have been occasions when only 1 or 2 sets of Michelin tyres have been really good. Any guess who they have given those to then??
Old 17 May 2001, 13:19 (Ref:93561)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meanwhile, Gerhardt Berger is quoted as saying "[Juan Pablo] reminds me of Michael [TGF]. But there are so many. We remember Mansell, we remember Piquet, Rosberg, I mean I just think he is one of the top guys."

And there is this from Emerson Fittipaldi: "In Formula One we had Ayrton Senna, we have Michael Schumacher, and in the future we will have Juan Pablo Montoya. Montoya is going to be the next great driver in the sport...I think he has the ability to become the next great driver because he is a genius."

So there.
Old 17 May 2001, 14:49 (Ref:93588)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

humph.
juan's playing these mind games things. very entertaining, because they're also working on you lot! haha!!
well, he should be able to fit in world domination before bedtime.
Old 17 May 2001, 16:14 (Ref:93632)   #7
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If mr. toya is complaining that he does not get equal treatment in his team,can the people here explain why so many of you are calling it a sign to him being a future champion.Infact i think it actually points to him being not so good.He has to prove to teh team that he is better if he wants better treatment.And everyone here will have to agree,he hasnt been really able to beat his teammate consistently this season.
Old 17 May 2001, 16:29 (Ref:93637)   #8
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Liz,

I don't recall any accusations of "Monty bashing" from Ralf pre-season. In fact I don't think he's said much about JPM at any time. There was the "alleged" spat which both drivers played down. "

Pete, like always liz has decided to reference events that never even occured.
Old 17 May 2001, 16:41 (Ref:93641)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quite so...My case rests
Old 17 May 2001, 17:59 (Ref:93674)   #10
Ed G
Racer

Ed G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM seems to have some real problems with his mouth.

Not only does too much stuff go into it but too much stuff comes out of it.

I enjoy the statements that he makes while driving the car more than those he makes while out of the car.
Old 17 May 2001, 18:01 (Ref:93677)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Montoya - Whining ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Juan Pablo Montoya has lashed out at the BMW Williams F1 team for favouring his more experienced teammate Ralf Schumacher over him and not treating them as equals.
He doesn't actually have any proof that anyone is being favoured, and that's not going to impress his team. He's just making himself sound very petulant.

Last edited by Ralf's Girl; 17 May 2001 at 18:02.
Old 17 May 2001, 18:34 (Ref:93690)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Pete can't remember it - therefore, it never happened.

Now, that's logical.

Perhaps Pete could go to work for Bill Clinton. He sounds like the answer to Clinton's prayers.
Old 17 May 2001, 19:02 (Ref:93697)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Mr. Montoya is every bit as arrogant as some of you guys claim that Mr Schumacher is...difference Mr. Schucmacher IS a three time world champion, and maybe by the end of this season four...Montoya has just started in F1
Old 17 May 2001, 19:05 (Ref:93698)   #14
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It appears that JPM has managed to equal MS in one respect. From reading the above posts it seems that there are two camps developing. Those that see JPM as the second coming, and those that see him as the anti-Christ. And pity on anybody that does not declare either way.
Old 17 May 2001, 19:19 (Ref:93706)   #15
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think Williams neccesarily like their drivers to speak out..and if they do...they sure as hell dont want them to criticize the team in public.

I think Montoya is just burning bridges with the team. Whats more..BMW are an important part of Williams and have a say in what happens at the team, regardless of what Frank wants us to believe.

So, that said - I wouldnt want to **** them off Montoya! Especially after running your mouth of about Ferrari - so thats 2 top teams who may want to look the other way when its time to talk contracts...
Old 17 May 2001, 19:52 (Ref:93720)   #16
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have followed Montoya's career closely, and I ha ve never seen him whine before. In this case, it is one more time a case of the F1 websites trying to fill their pages between races.

They are mis-quoting from an interview that Montoya gave the Colombian newspaper El Tiempo on May 15. I attempted a more precise approach to a translation:

"RALF AND I GET THE SAME TREATMENT (Montoya)

I don't think I'm receiving less attention from the team than Ralf. But considering he has the experience and the relationship with the BMW technicians, it is logical that the team is formed around him and not me. This doesn't make my life any easier, but the atmosphere inside the team is good, because we are all working towards the same goal."

For those of you who can read Spanish, go to:

http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/proyect..._may15_02.html
Old 17 May 2001, 20:18 (Ref:93731)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even though Montoya never brought a good attitude to Cart, I can't remember him whining either. I think he is just learning that F1 is a little different in terms of the politics of the sport.

I think Montoya should be careful. Although Williams have no problem with their drivers speaking out, they don't like them critisizing or insulting the team. Frank Williams must like a driver, or he will be out the door regardless of talent. Anyone remember Damon Hill?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 May 2001, 20:23 (Ref:93734)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As many of you have said Montoya is new in F1 and therefore is trying to establish himself. He has made F1 fun to watch again, and is, I am sure the next big thing. His so called 'whinning' was merley an answer to a question that has been grosely misinterpreted. Leave Montoya be and enjoy the great show he is providing us.
Old 17 May 2001, 20:46 (Ref:93745)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Mr Montoya should let his driving do his talking for him..Sir Frank Williams is no fool, Pi""ing off Ferrari and Williams will not help his career one bit.. If you remember Ralf wanted Jenson Button to stay with the team..Montoya could end up a "genius"( as Fittipaldi called him) without a drive..
Old 17 May 2001, 20:58 (Ref:93755)   #20
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya is from the same mould as Senna and Mansell in that he is not going to give anything to anyone and demands behind the scenes total commitment from Williams.
Looking at the current run in's with TGF, Montoya has sent out a clear signal to other drivers that if you want to pass me you can only use the back door.
Montoya's disapointment lies in the fact that the car needs to finish for him to move foward in F1, there is no doubt he is a stunning driver who reminds me of Mansell...unpredictable and this will take him to world championship with williams or another team.
Old 17 May 2001, 21:01 (Ref:93759)   #21
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much doubt that if TGF slagged of Ferrari he would be dumped. When you have a talent on your books as Frank does now I don't see a misinterpreted quote being the end of the columbians F1 career. If he were to be 'dumped' by Williams he would be snapped up by someone else very quickly and begin beating Franks cars. Williams is a great team boss as he strives for victory and knows what it takes to acheive, he will take these comments with a pinch of salt. All this will be forgotten following another great drive by Montoya at Monaco.
Old 17 May 2001, 21:06 (Ref:93766)   #22
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
jpm has point..

a lot the williams team are....ralf guys.

frank needs to shake up the team a bit and
throw more support to juan.

the tension bettween the two is pretty high.

ralf has been listening to tgf too much. he needs

start talking more to his teammate.
Old 17 May 2001, 21:20 (Ref:93775)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Hello Botsquad

Where do you obtain your information on the feelings at Williams?

Damon one has to drive a car that is capable of beating the Williams..Any ideas??

Jeremy
Old 17 May 2001, 21:39 (Ref:93782)   #24
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zetta
For those of you who can read Spanish, go to:
http://eltiempo.terra.com.co/proyect..._may15_02.html
Je, je, je... I think this guy is special, check this out:
“¿Acaso tengo que estar pendiente de él?”, preguntó Montoya. “Como he dicho antes, es mi compañero, no mi novia. Y mi oficio es ganarle.”

"Do I have to take care about him ?", Montoya asked. "Like I said before, he is my teammate, not my girlfriend. And kick his butt is my job...", I'm joking ..., "And beat him is my job."
Old 17 May 2001, 23:50 (Ref:93831)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM: shut gob, start driving.

Tags
jpm