Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 11 Jul 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1960878)   #1
andymr
Rookie

andymr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Left hand drive tips

I raced a Peugeot 205 in the ASWMC championship before moving to France to live. Unfortunately the 205 was too modified to pass the french hillclimb regs so I bought a new Renault clio cup ready to race from Renault.

OK, French hills are fantastic, averaging 3-5 kms, however I have never raced a left hooker before, although the sequential box makes things easier.

Onboard videos of some of my runs show me scarily close to the edge of the track, culminating in a sump smashing excursion into a ditch on my last outing.

Question: have you guys any tips that helped when you had your first experience of left hookers in race mode, not on your hols and i'll state the obvious reply ....drive further away from the right edge!

Andy
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1961402)   #2
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My weekend road car is left hand drive. Drove it up Prescott a few times at the Garden Party a few years ago.

Having raced up Prescott innumerable times it all felt rather odd.

Normally, in the rhd hillclimber, when the car rolls for a left hander I would go down and up for a right hander.

Of course it's the opposite in a lhd car and feels counter intuitive to begin with....
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:10 (Ref:1961471)   #3
quickbadgers
Rookie

United Kingdom
quickbadgers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drive it backwards up the hill that way you will be sat on the correct side!!!
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1961510)   #4
jonners
Racer

Hey!!

What about reversing down the hill in a lhd?

Could be the start of a new (and very expensive) motorsport disclipline...

Another thing that feels odd with lhd is that when you're changing gear your left hand remains on the wheel rather than your right. An obvious point to make but being right handed my left arm is weaker and every time I changed gear to start with the car twitched very slightly.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1961554)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonners
Normally, in the rhd hillclimber, when the car rolls for a left hander I would go down and up for a right hander.
[O/T]Thank you for that gem. I've never raced nor am I likely to, but I've driven LHD on a number of occasions and always complained it felt 'off-balance' without a clue why that should be. You've just answered it.[/O/T]
Old 12 Jul 2007, 17:20 (Ref:1961769)   #6
jonners
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
[O/T]I've driven LHD on a number of occasions and always complained it felt 'off-balance'[/O/T]
The single seater guys aren't as daft as they look
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1978006)   #7
Smokey blue
Rookie

Smokey blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just bought a LHD Radical and starting out for my first event, so I know how you feel about the car feeling odd.
Good luck with it.