Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 3 Jun 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2218403)   #1
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeking constructive criticism

Hi everyone.

I'm a fairly recent convert to SLR's, having recently bought myself a D40. I took my first motorsport shots with it at the Brands Historical Festival last week but am slightly disappointed with the results. Some shots were good but the horrible conditions threw me a bit and I think I did some things a bit wrong. Hence why I'm asking here for some advice!

The sky was very grey and overcast, and light levels were fairly low. I thought that by going to ISO 800 it might help, but there is a slight graining on the pictures which is now annoying me. I guess the best thing for the condition would have been to stay with a lower shutter speed and use a decent flash and tripod? I haven't got a proper flash - only the onboard one - and I didn't have a tripod so was shooting by hand.

I've uploaded some photos here if anyone could take a look at them. Although I'm taking photos for enjoyment, I'd like to get better if possible. I welcome constructive criticism of anything - technique, composition, camera settings, etc.

Thanks!

Rob
Old 3 Jun 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2218545)   #2
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some good pictures, I don't think you need to go as high as ISO 800 though. And maybe up the shutter speed a bit for the head on shots, 1/320 or 1/400.

Apart from that it's just a matter of practicing your technique as far as panning and holding the camera steady goes. You don't really need a tripod or a flash for daytime track stuff, so don't worry about that.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2218672)   #3
timtime
Rookie

timtime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob

Dont be to disheartened there are some nice shots there. It looks on some of them if you were shooting through the fence and it has softened the focus. If you are shooting through a fence it is always best to try and open the aperture right up so the fence wires dont have such an impact.

The conditions on the day can't have helped easier it looks as if it was quite wet by some of the rooster tails. Even so ISO 800 seems quite high and I dont think a tripod is the way forwards a good monopod maybe and if you look back that has been covered quite well recently I think.

One of the best ways to learn is to experiment and try different set ups. Get along to a few meetings where you are not so bothered about the results and experiment with the autofocus setting and exposure. Make a few notes as you go along and then compare when you download them.

Get a couple of big memory cards and just keep practicing. It is all about your aspirations and what you hope to get from the hobby. I have oft been criticised for taking a lot of "stock" photos and whilst arty shots have there place, the bread and butter shots are the ones that are most in demand.

Enjoy yourself and keep learning because the man that has nothing left to learn has probably had his lid nailed shut. Have a look at various websites and a lot will have information about settings which is also a good way of picking things up.

Regards

Tim
Old 3 Jun 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2218736)   #4
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtime
Rob
Dont be to disheartened there are some nice shots there. It looks on some of them if you were shooting through the fence and it has softened the focus. If you are shooting through a fence it is always best to try and open the aperture right up so the fence wires dont have such an impact.
I'm not disheartened, I fully intend to keep practicing! Yes, I was shooting through the fence. My plan was to get to the inside of Druids where the fences are low, but having a dodgy foot meant moving about was more difficult than normal! I crossed the bridge once in the initial deluge but crossed back to get to the car to dry off and knew there was no chance of making a second crossing!

More important than the results are the fact that I had a good time, and as long as that happens I'll keep snapping. Will take on board your point about opening up the aperture - I was only using shutter priority mode. Fully manual is probably the best bet then I guess.

Quote:
The conditions on the day can't have helped easier it looks as if it was quite wet by some of the rooster tails. Even so ISO 800 seems quite high and I dont think a tripod is the way forwards a good monopod maybe and if you look back that has been covered quite well recently I think.
When I said tripod, I meant to include monopods in that general description! I found that I was knackering my arms by the end of the day so a monopod is probably a good idea.

I thought ISO 800 would be just acceptable but I think in hindsight that 400 should really be an upper limit.

Quote:
One of the best ways to learn is to experiment and try different set ups. Get along to a few meetings where you are not so bothered about the results and experiment with the autofocus setting and exposure. Make a few notes as you go along and then compare when you download them.
I had to use manual focus in the end because I discovered that the auto focus went straight for the fence, which isn't all that great a subject!

Quote:
Get a couple of big memory cards and just keep practicing. It is all about your aspirations and what you hope to get from the hobby. I have oft been criticised for taking a lot of "stock" photos and whilst arty shots have there place, the bread and butter shots are the ones that are most in demand.

Enjoy yourself and keep learning because the man that has nothing left to learn has probably had his lid nailed shut. Have a look at various websites and a lot will have information about settings which is also a good way of picking things up.
I will definitely keep learning and trying to improve. I've been reading a lot of websites since to try and pick up tips, but I guess there's no substitute for practice!

Thanks very much for all your comments, I'll try and bear them in mind next time I'm snapping.

All the best,

Rob
Old 3 Jun 2008, 13:59 (Ref:2218741)   #5
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Some good pictures, I don't think you need to go as high as ISO 800 though. And maybe up the shutter speed a bit for the head on shots, 1/320 or 1/400.
Thanks Mike! I should have thought of that really - I think in my mind I was confusing things. I imagine it's panning where a slower shutter speed is better.

All the best,

Rob
Old 3 Jun 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2218780)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's right. And definitely try and learn full manual settings, it makes things a lot easier in the long run.

What lenses have you got?
Old 3 Jun 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2218792)   #7
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
That's right. And definitely try and learn full manual settings, it makes things a lot easier in the long run.

What lenses have you got?
I've got the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX kit lens, along with the Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 VR DX lens and have recently purchased a second hand Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 AF G.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2219026)   #8
gungadan
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
gungadan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2000
I've got the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX kit lens, along with the Nikkor 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 VR DX lens and have recently purchased a second hand Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 AF G.
I shot at ISO800 at the weekend too (1/320@F5.6) so it was definitely dark enough to warrant it if you needed the higher shutter speeds.

Unless you've got fast lenses (and I see you don't) you've got some choices to make when it gets that dark. For example:

1. Stick to panning shots etc, where slower shutter speeds are preferable anyway (as others have mentioned)
2. Crank it up to ISO800 and deal with some graininess
3. Shoot at ISO400 and compensate when editing
4. Give up and go home

I went mostly with 1 and 3 with a touch of 2 and to be honest there's not a huge amount of difference between the pushed 400 and straight 800. This is using a 20D which might have an edge over the D40 in this respect.

Anyways, I wouldn't be disappointed with your results for a first attempt - it's just a matter of practicing.

One thing to bear in mind if you're not doing it already, is to make sure that even if the car is heading more or less towards you, you still follow a fixed point on the subject - drivers head, maker's logo, whatever - rather than waiting for it to appear in your sights, so to speak. Reason I mention this is that in shots 3 and 4 the inside of the curb is sharper than the cars.
Old 4 Jun 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2219746)   #9
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert2000
I had to use manual focus in the end because I discovered that the auto focus went straight for the fence, which isn't all that great a subject!
It could be that your auto-focus is set for nearest object, adjust the settings in the menus to middle range on the auto focus, that way it won't go for the fence.
Also on more distant shots it won't autofocus on the grass or kerb infront of the car.

another thing to play around with, as suggested by those withmore knowledge than me,
Old 4 Jun 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2219974)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
OK, a couple of things to add?
ISO 800 on Jake's D50 is fine, so the D40 should be similar. If you think yours have grain, try my E-1 working up there... I took all the Silverstone Classic stuff at ISO200, but thankfully, never really needed to bump up, even in the rain. But then I run f2.8-3.5 lenses.

Now, top tip from a grain sufferer? Seek out, download (it's free) and use Neat Image, or Noise Ninja. Excellent and simple to use.

Finally, fencelock. Oh, do I know that one! Get as close as you can. Rest the lens hood ON it if need be, and be aware of gaps, and use them.
Then relax, and enjoy taking pictures just like you have already. They're fine!
Old 4 Jun 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2220015)   #11
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
OK, a couple of things to add?
ISO 800 on Jake's D50 is fine, so the D40 should be similar. If you think yours have grain, try my E-1 working up there... I took all the Silverstone Classic stuff at ISO200, but thankfully, never really needed to bump up, even in the rain. But then I run f2.8-3.5 lenses.

Now, top tip from a grain sufferer? Seek out, download (it's free) and use Neat Image, or Noise Ninja. Excellent and simple to use.

Finally, fencelock. Oh, do I know that one! Get as close as you can. Rest the lens hood ON it if need be, and be aware of gaps, and use them.
Then relax, and enjoy taking pictures just like you have already. They're fine!
I've looked over my photos again and I don't think the grain is as bad as I thought it was initially. I'd still prefer a nice sunny day though!

Thanks for your tips, and that goes to everyone who's replied to this thread. I really appreciate it and will bear in mind everything that has been said the next time I'm shooting.

Cheers,

Rob