Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 8 Sep 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2756206)   #51
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
In this instance I wouldn't take what what Stiff Petrol says as being totally impartial.

Clarkson had a go at Collins for being greedy and cashing in on his Top Gear fame, but isn't that exactly what Clarkson himself has been doing for many years. How many DVDs has he made that are basically just an extension of the Top Gear format. They may not mention the show specifically but the style is obvious and has even included guest appearances by the Stig, yet these are a commercial enterprise made outside of the BBC.
I had actually wondered about that - so they're actually separate from the BBC?

I really do agree with redshoes here - despite being a huge fan of Top Gear, and thinking its a great show, right now I have little to no sympathy for them and the BBC losing the court case. Copyright is a law and frankly an excuse that has ruined too much of mainstream media today. Numerous games have been wrecked by it - don't even get me (and the majority of other gamers) started on DRM - and it's had its effect on film as well.

I'm of the opinion now that Collins should have every right to make money out of something he has perhaps been underrewarded for - even if such a thing isn't legal, and even if he signed confidentiality clauses, especially as most people don't seem to care about the Stig's identity, and especially because of the blatant hypocrisy of Clarkson.

I think if it was someone else's money I wouldn't care as much. But seeing as the show (and part of the court case) are and were funded by people on this very forum, and people who have specifically expressed their lack of interest as to who the Stig is...well, that's the final nail.

Last edited by dyewat808; 8 Sep 2010 at 14:56.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:17 (Ref:2756279)   #52
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if he'll be keeping a low profile at the Silverstone LMS this weekend...
Old 8 Sep 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2756321)   #53
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I wonder if he'll be keeping a low profile at the Silverstone LMS this weekend...
What in an anonymous white race suit and helmet
Old 8 Sep 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2756426)   #54
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
What in an anonymous white race suit and helmet
...And lots of people wearing " I am Ben Collins" T-shirts
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2758791)   #55
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The name board behind the #25 pit had been changed and Ben's picture covered up with a rather rough sketch.

I wonder how much a corporate day with Ben Collins will cost now, will BBC stop him wearing a white suite and helmet for such events?
Old 13 Sep 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2758836)   #56
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exciting book, I imagine. Mediocre career as a racing driver. Became famous for no-one knowing who he is. Now revealed who he is, to which most people remarked "I don't know who he is".

Those who do know who he is mostly knew who he was anyway.

Next week's exciting revelation: Sooty is really Johnny Herbert.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2758884)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its really disgraceful.
well now that he's been paid i hope he at least remembers his family and buys his African cousin a proper race suit.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2758901)   #58
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lol
Old 13 Sep 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2758921)   #59
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And his American cousin a bigger race suit...
Old 14 Sep 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2759433)   #60
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The book is supposed to be out this week!
Old 14 Sep 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2759510)   #61
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedworx View Post
The book is supposed to be out this week!
Gosh, I can hardly wait.

Sorry, didn't mean to put the word 'hardly' in that sentance.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 23:45 (Ref:2759532)   #62
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think I saw that it's called The Man In The White Suit.

I didn't realise he was The Saint as well.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 08:53 (Ref:2759637)   #63
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I think I saw that it's called The Man In The White Suit.

I didn't realise he was The Saint as well.
I thought it was Marty Hopkirk who wore the white suit?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2759832)   #64
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Blimey, this Collins bloke gets everywhere!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2760453)   #65
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read the Sun interview of Ben Collins last night. His ego got too big for the part. He got greedy, simple as that. Why should he get royalties on Stig merchandise when he is just playing the part? There was a Stig before Ben Collins and there will be one after him as well. He didn't make the Stig famous, Top Gear and BBC did. He just played the part. As every actor who played James Bond; they are all replaceable. James Bond is bigger then Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, etc.

To be honest, if Ben Collins was really that good, he'd have Scott Dixon's career. They were teammates at Johansson Motorsport in Indy Lights and Dixon spanked him.

Top Gear shouldn't kill off the White Stig; they should just hire another driver to replace him. The Stig is bigger then Ben Collins; and no one will remember this episode in a year anyways. They should get someone in their 40's who is completely done with racing and is currently doing corporate events and test driving etc. A guy with no ego, who can pedal the car just as good or even better then Collins. There are dozens of guys around like that; just go to the Nordschliefe any day of the week.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2760569)   #66
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorentina 1 View Post
ITo be honest, if Ben Collins was really that good, he'd have Scott Dixon's career. They were teammates at Johansson Motorsport in Indy Lights and Dixon spanked him.
..and Dixon got beaten by Jonny Kane, Philipp Peter, Casey Mears and Oriol Servia.

Whats your point?
Old 16 Sep 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2760626)   #67
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I read the Sun interview of Ben Collins last night. His ego got too big for the part. He got greedy, simple as that. Why should he get royalties on Stig merchandise when he is just playing the part? There was a Stig before Ben Collins and there will be one after him as well. He didn't make the Stig famous, Top Gear and BBC did. He just played the part. As every actor who played James Bond; they are all replaceable. James Bond is bigger then Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, etc.
I don't agree with much of that.

I read the article too and it came across to me as fair comment. If I remember correctly when Perry McCarthy did the same thing as Ben has done now he revealed he was only being paid £700. I expect it's more now, but that's really not a vast amount. It's not for one day's filming a week, it's also for coaching the celebrity guests who drive the Sensibly Priced Car and anything else the Beeb throws at him.

I know of at least two drivers who have played The Stig, maybe three and it's said there are four. I don't particularly blame the Beeb for that - you don't put all your eggs in one basket for a job involving a racing driver. Indeed, it was part of the contract between Ben's company and the Beeb that he had to provide alternatives.

I would like to see a new Stig in a different colour suit. Maybe a nice soothing shade of Blue.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 07:14 (Ref:2760731)   #68
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

To be honest, if Ben Collins was really that good, he'd have Scott Dixon's career. They were teammates at Johansson Motorsport in Indy Lights and Dixon spanked him.

Top Gear shouldn't kill off the White Stig; they should just hire another driver to replace him. The Stig is bigger then Ben Collins; and no one will remember this episode in a year anyways. They should get someone in their 40's who is completely done with racing and is currently doing corporate events and test driving etc. A guy with no ego, who can pedal the car just as good or even better then Collins. There are dozens of guys around like that; just go to the Nordschliefe any day of the week.
There is someone who springs directly to mind, a tad older than you suggest (maybe it was the mention of Sean Connery that got me thinking of someone of a similar age?).
He is still racing, has done (and still does) a lot of driver coaching, and can certainly handle a car.
Step forwards Barrie Williams. (OK Wizzo, I know you're younger that Sean really...)
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2760981)   #69
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedworx View Post
..and Dixon got beaten by Jonny Kane, Philipp Peter, Casey Mears and Oriol Servia.

Whats your point?
They weren't all teammates. Dixon & Collins were.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2760984)   #70
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I don't agree with much of that.

I read the article too and it came across to me as fair comment. If I remember correctly when Perry McCarthy did the same thing as Ben has done now he revealed he was only being paid £700. I expect it's more now, but that's really not a vast amount. It's not for one day's filming a week, it's also for coaching the celebrity guests who drive the Sensibly Priced Car and anything else the Beeb throws at him.
That is between him and the BBC. Why did he except the job in the first place if he didn't like the wages? And, who is going to hire him now after this fiasco? He should have negotiated his fees better and waited until the end of the show to publish his memoirs. He got greedy, pure and simple.

It's like a member of a rock band who decides he's bigger then the band and cuts a solo album. They rarely work out.

The BBC should publish another Stig Memoir book at the same time; about Julian Bailey, who was also the Stig but also managed to get to F1.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2760996)   #71
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aunti certainly has done an excellent job of misleading the public.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2761014)   #72
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Julian Bailey
Apparently, Richard Hammond managed to get a clause into his new Top Gear contract that the Stig could be no more than a foot taller than him... hence Julian lost the gig.

Old 18 Sep 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2761278)   #73
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
I have in my hand a copy of the book. Covers Ben's racing career and his time as the Stig.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2761282)   #74
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lol, lets be honest, no surprises there.

Is it any good?
Old 20 Sep 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2762026)   #75
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will he now offer his services for corporate days? A friend of mine thinks he could charge quite a large fee now.