Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3260537)   #1
Les Redford
Rookie

Les Redford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Travel Advice

If you are going to Le Mans from Calais there are major bridge works going on in Rouen. The best way to avoid them and any delays are to take the A29 (signed Le Havre/Caen) approx 20 miles before Rouen. From the A29 take the A151 towards Rouen. Le Mans is signed from there on.

This diversion only adds on a few miles and costs a touch more on the tolls but it is such a good route, bypassing the great majority of Rouen, that I will continue to use this route even when the bridge works are completed.

Please also remember the following are legal requirements for driving in France.

An alcohol breath tester (which must have the 'NF' approval mark) It is best to buy a pack of two so if you do get asked by the police to do a breath test you will still have one left to comply with the law.

A Hi Vis jacket/waistcoat for every person in the car

A first aid kit

A warning triangle

A spare bulb kit

Please also remember that in the build up to Le Mans catching speeding drivers becomes the sport of choice of the gendarmes.

I hope this is of help.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3260541)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi Les, thanks for this and welcome to the forum

The Rouen bridge problems have been picked up by some of our travellers already. Is the breath tester actually a requirement now? I thought it was going to be but didn't actually happen?
Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:34 (Ref:3260546)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The breathtest kit law has been dropped now so no longer needed and the hi vis jacket is only a requirement for the driver or anyone else likely to get out of the car onto the road, it must be in the car not the boot.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3260556)   #4
Les Redford
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hi Les, thanks for this and welcome to the forum

The Rouen bridge problems have been picked up by some of our travellers already. Is the breath tester actually a requirement now? I thought it was going to be but didn't actually happen?
It's one of those is it/isn't it situations I think. Although a self-test breathalyser remains a requirement, the decision means there is no legislation to enforce a fine for non-compliance. It sounds like you can't get done for not having one but if you were stopped by 'Les flics' I would rather have one on me in the hope it kept them sweet.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3260559)   #5
Les Redford
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The breathtest kit law has been dropped now so no longer needed and the hi vis jacket is only a requirement for the driver or anyone else likely to get out of the car onto the road, it must be in the car not the boot.
You are correct GT6 however, as the advice for anyone parking on the hard shoulder is for everyone to get out in the interest of safety, I always make sure I have one for everyone.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3260561)   #6
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
it must be in the car not the boot.
It can be in the boot - as long as you can access it without leaving the car
Old 10 Jun 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3260576)   #7
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Redford View Post
It's one of those is it/isn't it situations I think. Although a self-test breathalyser remains a requirement, the decision means there is no legislation to enforce a fine for non-compliance. It sounds like you can't get done for not having one but if you were stopped by 'Les flics' I would rather have one on me in the hope it kept them sweet.
No the law failed to get passed so it is dead in the water, that is why there are so many people giving the kits away with RAC/AA etc, no one wants them now
Old 10 Jun 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3260625)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The breathalysers are going for just over a Pound each on Amazon.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 07:21 (Ref:3260752)   #9
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
The breathalysers are going for just over a Pound each on Amazon.
I paid a euro each in Auchan in St Omer fifteen months ago.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3260782)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At that price you can start having "who can get the highest reading" competitions
Old 11 Jun 2013, 11:09 (Ref:3260848)   #11
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
At that price you can start having "who can get the highest reading" competitions
Old 11 Jun 2013, 12:24 (Ref:3260891)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
beware that even if they see you holding anything that looks like a phone you'll be stopped. i was pulled over the other week by a couple of bored gendarmes in an unmarked car for holding something phone-like.

as it happened it was connected to the stereo by a big cable, and i could have been changing the music but since i was actually tweeting a whinge about being bored when they spotted me, i didn't fancy trying to win that one

cost me 90€, the production of my v5 and driving licence, and i got some souvenir paperwork in return.

fwiw, i didn't have a gb sticker of any kind on my boy-racer car, and they didn't consider doing me for that, or looking at any of my other stuff that didn't exist such as a spare lightbulb kit. so you know, ymmv. calculated risk and all that. don't be british and paranoid and pander to their pocket-lining laws by default.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 13:34 (Ref:3260924)   #13
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It sounds like you can't get done for not having one but if you were stopped by 'Les flics' I would rather have one on me in the hope it kept them sweet.
Unless you're hammered!
Old 12 Jun 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3261503)   #14
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Happy that the new car has Cruise Control fitted. Dial in 80ish, and relax...
I have all the goodies they might wish to see, but never had breath test kits, and have no intention of buying one. The law was withdrawn, and is not in force, as I understand it.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3262107)   #15
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mind you the breathalyser kits are worth having if you worry about being over the limit and getting caught. Not that it seems to worry that many of course, but if it is something that worries you then they can give peace of mind. Or scare the crap out of you and make you worry even more
Old 19 Jun 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3264984)   #16
Les Redford
Rookie

Tim the Grey - don't dial in 80ish on your cruise control as you leave the toll booths as you get on the A28 from the A16 - there's a 110kmh speed camera within the first 2km and it seems to be set at a very low tolerance level.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3265030)   #17
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Tim the Grey - don't dial in 80ish on your cruise control as you leave the toll booths as you get on the A28 from the A16 - there's a 110kmh speed camera within the first 2km and it seems to be set at a very low tolerance level.
thought the limit in France is 130 kph, only 110 when raining?
Old 19 Jun 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3265054)   #18
Les Redford
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
thought the limit in France is 130 kph, only 110 when raining?
No sir. There are quite a few stretches in France that are 110kmh limit. There are also a couple of viaducts between Rouen and Le Mans that are 90kmh limit and each one has a speed camera.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3268784)   #19
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
The Rouen detour (officially signed for lorries - along the A150/A151) worked very well with no queues either way (wednesday southbound, Sunday northbound) and might even be a better route than the 'normal' route.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 13:54 (Ref:3268897)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
We took the old roads via totes and yevlot, it worked very well and suspect we will never use rouen again, the pont du brottone was spectacular
Old 24 Jun 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3269039)   #21
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Rouen detour was easy to use (although we may *ahem* have gone the wrong way down the A29 first off) don't actually think it costs much time as we've been sat in traffic in Rouen on the way down before but this year it was clear.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3269104)   #22
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
No sir. There are quite a few stretches in France that are 110kmh limit. There are also a couple of viaducts between Rouen and Le Mans that are 90kmh limit and each one has a speed camera.
I was referrring to the French National speed limit on autoroutes, not anything local on a limited stretch for a specific reason
Old 24 Jun 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3269172)   #23
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Are they really speed cameras on those viaducts? Can't imagine I went through any of them at 90 - but then again I didn't last year either.

Spotted some guys in full camo with cameras hiding in a field on the way back today.

I was under the impression that once you're out of the country they can't give you fines/penalties?
Old 24 Jun 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3269202)   #24
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We took the old roads via totes and yevlot, it worked very well and suspect we will never use rouen again, the pont du brottone was spectacular
Certainly can see the appeal in that route, and suspect we took a very similar route to you heading north on Sunday.

Only downside I can see to the D490 on way down is we'd probably miss driving past the lovely ruins of the chateau at Ferte Vidame, although I could probably be persuaded to make a specific detour at some point to rectify that.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3269216)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for the heads up, if only I had seen it before now!
I try not to attract teh attention of Les Flics, and try to observe 90/110/130 limits where possible.

Hope no one gets a nasty letter in the post!