Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Jun 2020, 05:23 (Ref:3983914)   #6401
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
It needn't cost anything at all for spectator marshalls, tracks can just do what Goodwood does, ask for volunteers and in exchange for a few hours marshalling, they get free entry and get to see the rest of the race meeting.

Buying and installing distancing measures is no different to what other businesses are having to layout for if they want to open their businesses again and protect people.
Except anything that is free usually has no value so for example if it was raining they may not bother showing up and then what? Cancel the meeting?
Old 26 Jun 2020, 05:53 (Ref:3983918)   #6402
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's possible to think of thousands of different criteria around spectators being at a track, and the potential 'solutions' are endless.
But at the end of the day, there is one solution that meets all criteria - keep spectators away.

Racing can happen without spectators, so comparing the situation to other businesses is pointless:
Hairdressers need someone in a chair requiring a haircut.
Shops need someone purchasing goods in-store.
Theme Parks need someone to go on the rides.
Race circuits need cars/bikes going round the track

It's noticeable that a lack of willing to accept personal responsibility for preventing the spread of the disease seems to go hand-in-hand with a sense of entitlement to spectate at tracks and that someone else should take responsibility for mitigating the risk.

Spectators bleating about not being able to attend a few rounds -
Old 26 Jun 2020, 06:10 (Ref:3983920)   #6403
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
all things i'm sure they're looking at and considering but redshoes is definitely right in that it's the pinch points that are the issue. msv and silverstone are perhaps better suited to bodging a solution because they've got more permanent toilet blocks, but both are significantly larger circuits, and whilst drive-in and park up on a bank motorsport would work for small numbers at certain circuits (including donington), imagine what a mess it'll be when it rains

it costs money to employ more spectator marshals, to pay people to come back from furlough to set out new areas, to pay for the raw materials to do so. and for what gain? a small number of spectators paying the same ticket price as they did pre-covid.
Aside from the terrible human cost of the virus, alot of everyday life has become an effort, popping to the shops, fancying a meal out or day out and popping into the pub are and will become a chore rather than a pleasure.

People attended events like BTCC to enjoy it together, meet up at the campsite for a BBQ, stay at a hotel and meet up for breaksfast (apparently there will be no breakfast buffet nowadays). Even some of the bits of the BTCC weekend - meeting drivers, going in the pitlane, getting autographs will not happen even if they allow spectators. So the 'fun' will have gone out of it, to be replaced by effort - more time to get in, queue to get in, queue for toilets, queue for food that will take forever.

This can be applied to a myriad of events of all types and if we have to live with the virus fot the long term as Chris Whitty keeps telling us, I really think it could be the end of events and festivals - certainly the viablility of them and as for indoor shows and exhibitions, they may never come back in any meaningful form.

With the BTCC, perhaps it is me being lazy, but if some or all of the reasons for being there are no longer happening and actually attending is going to require more effort and time, and as you can watch it live on ITV4, perhaps even if there are spectators allowed in the end, many will stay at home?
Old 26 Jun 2020, 08:28 (Ref:3983938)   #6404
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed, it feels strange that if you go to the pub anytime soon, you can only do things by halves. Social distancing in pubs sort of defeats the object of pubs

It’s the same with spectators at events, it’s harder to enjoy the racing if you have to be alert to your surroundings at all times
Old 26 Jun 2020, 08:49 (Ref:3983943)   #6405
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Except anything that is free usually has no value so for example if it was raining they may not bother showing up and then what? Cancel the meeting?
It rains at Goodwood, the volunteers still turn up. Rain doesn't put off the number of race Marshall's that turn up. Brands Hatch for example is always over subscribed with race marshalls, some assist with the pit lane walk about, no reason that they couldn't work a rota and help out with spectator marshalling throughout the day. It will certainly help them with social distancing at the track marshalling posts, because they would struggle otherwise.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3983971)   #6406
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The banking at Croft is real steep. If it rains there you have a hard time not sliding down.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3983987)   #6407
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It rains at Goodwood, the volunteers still turn up. Rain doesn't put off the number of race Marshall's that turn up. Brands Hatch for example is always over subscribed with race marshalls, some assist with the pit lane walk about, no reason that they couldn't work a rota and help out with spectator marshalling throughout the day. It will certainly help them with social distancing at the track marshalling posts, because they would struggle otherwise.
Rain *always* affects the numbers of volunteers, albeit only in a tiny way. Volunteers still turn up at most events because they're committed to make sure they run from a safety perspective.

However - we've had to change the way motorsport marshalling is done in the UK. Restrictions on numbers - dramatic restrictions in the case of the BTCC, which is always overwhelmed with volunteers - will be in place. Chief marshals will be selecting their teams from those who have volunteered well in advance of meetings. Some people will be disappointed as a result.

Sign-on is electronic (I've already done mine for the MGCC meeting at Donington in two weeks!), PPE needs to be worn where required/necessary, there will be an increased use of intervention vehicles, briefings will be done remotely in the days leading up to the event, posts will be allocated before the event and notified by email or other means. Social distancing *must* be observed on post, hence the limitations on numbers. If social distancing cannot be observed, at the very least masks must be worn and in the case of rescue crews, for example, several levels of PPE. Incident reports will be verbal or, where required, posted to race control electronically.

Incident handling and intervention will be done differently.

There is no way on Earth that people with 10+ years of trackside experience will be 'happy' to police spectators if they've not been selected to marshal under the current regime; that's someone else's job (who, it should be said, often get paid for it at big events).

For those of us who are very used to single-crewing a post on a wet Saturday afternoon at club motorsport events, very little will have changed!
Old 26 Jun 2020, 12:50 (Ref:3983989)   #6408
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
With the BTCC, perhaps it is me being lazy, but if some or all of the reasons for being there are no longer happening and actually attending is going to require more effort and time, and as you can watch it live on ITV4, perhaps even if there are spectators allowed in the end, many will stay at home?
i think judging by the nonsense we’ve seen at various seasides around the country, that’s not going to be how it plays out unfortunately. the brits who “get it” and who behave themselves don’t go out much for the reasons you mentioned above. the ones that don’t get it will go to a live televised event no matter how sensible that is in the big picture.

i had to go to the shops the other day. not doing that again. if people can’t stay left in a shopping centre, what hope do they have of keeping a sensible distance from each other at a social event like a motor race?

for what it’s worth, i fully understand and see the desire to want to get back trackside for the love of it, wanting to support the sport and seeing friends again. but we really need to be sensible here. as we’ve seen over the past few months, we don’t get a second chance to get this right.

don’t let the desire to watch racing cars overcome the need for public safety and community responsibility.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3983991)   #6409
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
don’t let the desire to watch racing cars overcome the need for public safety and community responsibility.
Amen to that, sister, amen to that.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3983994)   #6410
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'm feeling an overwhelming aura of Common-Sense finally settling down over this thread at last.
I'm quite confused!
Old 26 Jun 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3984000)   #6411
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully the fact it’s on FTA on ITV4 like it always has hopefully will encourage people to stay at home. That’s exactly why some of the remaining EPL matches are being broadcast on the BBC and also Pick TV which is also Freeview
Old 26 Jun 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3984002)   #6412
RS67
Veteran

We all seem to be forgetting, the 2m rule was only implemented in the UK. WHO only ever recommended 1m. I have been back at work around 6 weeks. Inside we wear facemasks and observe the 2m rule, whilst outside, facemasks don't have to be worn. In small rooms where distancing is hard only two people are allowed. The number of people allowed in a room increases for larger rooms. All excessive, but it works. The govt. recommended 2m rule is being reduced so there will be more freedom of movement. There is less far chance of infection in the open air than there is indoors. People can reduce their own risk as much as possible, such as taking own food and drink. Take hand sanitiser, although I suspect tracks may well have their own hand sanitizer stations dotted around, especially near toilets.
If ticket sales are restricted, as I suspect they will be, I reckon there will be no shortage of volunteers for spectator marshalling. Plus there's always the track Marshall's families that always brag their way into the circuit anyway.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 13:33 (Ref:3984003)   #6413
RS67
Veteran

https://www.btcc.net/2020/06/26/nilc...ising-partner/
As they will be at each track, I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to supply each track with their products as well.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 13:35 (Ref:3984004)   #6414
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm feeling an overwhelming aura of Common-Sense finally settling down over this thread at last.
I'm quite confused!
stockholm syndrome
Old 26 Jun 2020, 13:40 (Ref:3984008)   #6415
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm quite confused!
I am feeling an overwhelming sense of some people haven't been out much since the lockdown has started to ease and a being overly paranoid. The only people I have come across who have had difficulty with social distancing are kids, no under 16's without an adult has taken care of that and some elderly people, who are generally few and far between at race meetings.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 13:46 (Ref:3984011)   #6416
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
I am feeling an overwhelming sense of some people haven't been out much since the lockdown has started to ease and a being overly paranoid. The only people I have come across who have had difficulty with social distancing are kids, no under 16's without an adult has taken care of that and some elderly people, who are generally few and far between at race meetings.
i've been working throughout lockdown, and am now back testing at circuits. first hand experience of both how teams are adapting to new guidelines and how circuits are adapting, plus obviously all the normal personal errands outdoors as well.

how about you?
Old 26 Jun 2020, 13:55 (Ref:3984014)   #6417
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
i've been working throughout lockdown, and am now back testing at circuits. first hand experience of both how teams are adapting to new guidelines and how circuits are adapting, plus obviously all the normal personal errands outdoors as well.

how about you?
Other than wearing facemasks at work, apparently our work regulations on PPE, cleaning, sanitizing work areas etc. are more meticulous than some hospitals, who are only wearing masks when with covid patients. Observing 2m rules and having to queue to get into Tesco, the only thing that is any different is not going to the gym.
Other than that life has been pretty much normal.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3984019)   #6418
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Other than wearing facemasks at work, apparently our work regulations on PPE, cleaning, sanitizing work areas etc. are more meticulous than some hospitals, who are only wearing masks when with covid patients. Observing 2m rules and having to queue to get into Tesco, the only thing that is any different is not going to the gym.
it's not normal at circuits, i can tell you that much.

i'm pretty relaxed about everything, trust me. and i've seen first hand the way multiple workplaces have handled the rules and guidelines. some are different, some aren't at all different. there's not a lot of workplaces that are going to be televised live, but motorsport is one of them.

we're not up and running for spectators benefit, we're up and running for the industry to keep people employed.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3984021)   #6419
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So someone has posted on one of the FB groups Silverstone has refunded them their tickets.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 14:21 (Ref:3984022)   #6420
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

One wonders how many UK hospitals you have been in since the Corvid-19 pandemic arrived on these shores, to make such a bold statement?

From my observations in the hospital that I have been in since April, all the staff don face masks as soon as they walk through the entrances to start their shifts, and only remove a mask when they leave to go home. Not only do they wear them when just walking about the hospital, but most of the staff, both medics and non medics, also wear visors as well when dealing with patients.

And before you ask, I am talking about the wards dealing with patients who do not have the coronavirus. I am waiting for an operation (which should be in mid July), and for medical reason the doctors and surgeons firmly believe that I am safer in the hospital than outside.

However, they firmly believe that, now restrictions are being eased, that there will be another surge in virus infections, which will probably mean that my operation will be delayed further.

And as for it being safer outside, maybe you would like to tell that to the scores of people who contracted the virus at the European football matches that took place, in February was it?, in France and Italy! And probably quite a few who thought that it was a good idea to go to the beaches in droves in the last few days.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 14:23 (Ref:3984023)   #6421
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
... the 'fun' will have gone out of it, to be replaced by effort - more time to get in, queue to get in, queue for toilets, queue for food that will take forever.
Those are pretty much reasons why BTCC race day has become less appealing than it was (I went Saturdays only last year). Too many people for my tastes - I like to be able to wander the circuit and pick and choose where to watch each race (or part of race) from. BTCC race day doesn't allow this anymore with people camped against the fence around the whole circuit. There is a special place in hell reserved for those that erect gazebos up against the fencing.

Quote:
Err - are you sure you've been out? It's amazing how many people have no clue about social distancing - go into just about any shop and people will push past you or lean across in front of you to get something off a shelf. It was bad enough at the start of all this but now there seems to be an almost total disregard for social distancing.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 14:46 (Ref:3984027)   #6422
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
it's not normal at circuits, i can tell you that much.

i'm pretty relaxed about everything, trust me. and i've seen first hand the way multiple workplaces have handled the rules and guidelines. some are different, some aren't at all different. there's not a lot of workplaces that are going to be televised live, but motorsport is one of them.

we're not up and running for spectators benefit, we're up and running for the industry to keep people employed.
☝️Nice to see someone actually talking some sense and truth, the championship needs to be back up and running for the sake of everyone employed in the industry
Old 26 Jun 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3984031)   #6423
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
☝️Nice to see someone actually talking some sense and truth, the championship needs to be back up and running for the sake of everyone employed in the industry
don't get me wrong, i really do sympathise with spectators and i'd be going nuts if i wasn't working in the industry too. spectators are important, but essential? right now, this year? no. we need to make sure the industry survives until a vaccine is freely available first and we can go back to welcoming spectators into our workplaces.

streamed tv coverage and social media keep people far closer to the sport than ever before, let's use that to our benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Err - are you sure you've been out? It's amazing how many people have no clue about social distancing - go into just about any shop and people will push past you or lean across in front of you to get something off a shelf. It was bad enough at the start of all this but now there seems to be an almost total disregard for social distancing.
this was my experience too - at the shops i was trying really hard and it just wasn't possible to account for other peoples unwillingness to distance all the time. the difference between individual stores in the same brand of supermarket is pretty significant too.

to be honest i think we're all good at some stuff and rubbish at others - for example getting into a routine of using hand sanitiser regularly at work is a bit of a mental block for me, whereas going around cleaning surfaces more regularly is a very easy habit.

but it's hard to have patience for people who aren't trying, or aren't watching those around them to make sure they're taking appropriate precautions.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 15:31 (Ref:3984034)   #6424
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
So someone has posted on one of the FB groups Silverstone has refunded them their tickets.
Yeah but no but.....

The April round due to be held on the National circuit isn't being replaced. The Sept round moves from the International to National circuit on the same date.

A lot of people got tickets via their Black Friday 2-for-1 offer where they paid for the Apr round and got Sept tickets free. Those will get a refund, i.e. they no longer have tickets for either date.

If you just had April tickets then those are being refunded.

If you just had Sept ticket then those haven't been refunded, at least not yet. "We are currently in talks with the Series Organiser, TOCA, to determine how we can safely run the race meeting and whether this will take place behind closed doors or in front of ticket holders."

Silverstone are saying it may take up to 3 months to process all refunds. It's not just BTCC, they have F1, MotoGP, WEC, and who knows what else to deal with.
Old 26 Jun 2020, 16:27 (Ref:3984038)   #6425
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can totally understand the problem with a crowd the size the BTCC attracts, but why are little clubbie events that would be lucky to attract 500 spectators still closed to spectators?