Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Jul 2020, 13:28 (Ref:3985542)   #6626
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
£600k per season in the BMR Subaru days. Plus testing!
Is that the cost of the seat to the driver, or what the team spent running each car?
Old 4 Jul 2020, 13:39 (Ref:3985543)   #6627
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Because it was stated that it cost £600k to run a car, and most teams have two cars.
Like I said before, he keeps moving the goal posts as to what he was talking about, first it was similar cost of building a Super Tourer, then he decided he as talking about running costs per car, now it's running costs for a couple of cars. Seems like a desperate attempt to try to make the figures add up and fail miserably. I am fairly sure Ford's budget in 2000 was something like £30M. So 3 Subarus at £600k each plus £350k for the initial car builds still falls far short of £30M. Even in the mid 90's Ford had yearly budgets of around £10M and that included the drivers wages.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 13:44 (Ref:3985546)   #6628
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Put it down to my age. Or you could accept that I was talking about total budget. Up to you. In any event we aren't talking peanuts and you appear to consider a million quid to be a small amount.

I suspect whatever we are talking about, the number won't be sustainable.

Someone mentioned the bespoke components in STs. This was not new, the Group A componentry was seriously expensive and even now when you restore a Sierra or BMW the parts are staggeringly expensive.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3985552)   #6629
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Put it down to my age. Or you could accept that I was talking about total budget. Up to you. In any event we aren't talking peanuts and you appear to consider a million quid to be a small amount.

I suspect whatever we are talking about, the number won't be sustainable.

Someone mentioned the bespoke components in STs. This was not new, the Group A componentry was seriously expensive and even now when you restore a Sierra or BMW the parts are staggeringly expensive.
But even total budget is way off the mark. Restoring an old Sierra or BMW will still be expensive as they are bespoke parts that will have to be manufactured. Especially when you factor in the Sierra's will differ from another teams Sierra as they will be designed and built by different companies. Same would go for the BMW's. Now teams who build their own cars only have to design and build the bit of the car between the two subframes.
No one has said a £1M budget is peanuts, but it certainly falls short of anything like that spent in the Super Touring years. Team Hard were running all four of their cars for the cost of two BMR drives and still making a profit.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 14:11 (Ref:3985560)   #6630
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the story at the time was Ford spent £10m on the 2000 season. I can’t see how any manufacturer would have justified £30m
Old 4 Jul 2020, 14:35 (Ref:3985567)   #6631
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I think the story at the time was Ford spent £10m on the 2000 season. I can’t see how any manufacturer would have justified £30m
Fairly sure the £10M was the 98 budget, around £1M of which paid Mansell for his 3 race meetings.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 15:31 (Ref:3985578)   #6632
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Add a VW to the casualty list.
Two potentially.

However, trying to find a silver lining: some drivers losing other seats may still be able to fund a #HARD ride; Tony will work hard to get those cars out on track.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3985593)   #6633
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Two potentially.

However, trying to find a silver lining: some drivers losing other seats may still be able to fund a #HARD ride; Tony will work hard to get those cars out on track.
With Fuller now out due to Bushell's return, perhaps Fuller could be in a position to still fill a seat even if only for part of the season. After all they had no way of knowing when Bushell would be fit to drive.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3985598)   #6634
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
With Fuller now out due to Bushell's return, perhaps Fuller could be in a position to still fill a seat even if only for part of the season. After all they had no way of knowing when Bushell would be fit to drive.
Howard was very stretched financially to fill the VW seat for one weekend on a temp basis. Unless his Amazon delivery lockdown job paid megabucks and other seats are silly cheap now I don't think he'll be on the grid this year.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 16:56 (Ref:3985614)   #6635
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I guess that means the empty Beemer seat is out of the question for Howard
Old 4 Jul 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3985618)   #6636
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan was championship contender and that car is sure podium material , IMO a very bog loss for the series

too bad Sutton is in the Infinity, imagine him in that WSR Beamer, it would also answer if he is better than Turks or not
Old 4 Jul 2020, 17:42 (Ref:3985631)   #6637
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Fairly sure the £10M was the 98 budget, around £1M of which paid Mansell for his 3 race meetings.
I am quite sure that if it was £10 m £9m went to Reynard to produce possibly the worst Super tourer ever built.....
Old 4 Jul 2020, 17:55 (Ref:3985637)   #6638
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Jordan was championship contender and that car is sure podium material , IMO a very bog loss for the series

too bad Sutton is in the Infinity, imagine him in that WSR Beamer, it would also answer if he is better than Turks or not

As someone posted the day the Jordan news broke I would bet some drivers were checking their contracts.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 20:49 (Ref:3985663)   #6639
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few points on running costs:

There's one driver who takes 66% of any sponsorship as his "fee". Teams go for that because he can bring a lot of sponsorship.

If you're not a former champion and you need to pay for a drive, then it varies from team to team.

The cheapest deal I've heard about was ~£60,000. For that, the driver had no testing, no crash damage, no engineer, minimum tyres.

Typically, the lower end cars are around £150,000 plus crash damage.

The most expensive car would be around £500,000 plus crash damage.

In each case the team is making a profit at that revenue level, so the actual cost of running the car is lower than those figures.

Nobody is saying that it is cheap. But it is significantly cheaper than it used to be, and the racing is better.

I think it is safe to say that the combined budget of the entire grid this year is less than the budget of the biggest-budget team 25 years ago.

Indeed one team was paying >£2m in driver salaries 25 years ago.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 21:10 (Ref:3985670)   #6640
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Listening to John Cleland on the Greg Rust podcast gives you a great insight into the expenditure 25 years ago. All the foreign testing and everything that went along with that. The tyre bill for one of Michelin's test weeks was probably more than it cost to drive for a season in the current championship!
Old 4 Jul 2020, 21:25 (Ref:3985673)   #6641
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For operating cost its collectively roughly the same for a single team running 3 different programs (x1 Porsche, x1 F4, x3 Jr) on the package as one single BTCC car. The team own the cars and essentially hire it out to pay pilots for the year. Its more profitable as a business to operate on the package that trying to step up.

I'm addition a 2 car British GT squad is less than a 1 car BTCC team. Speaking of which there's a fast driver with funding looking for a seat possibly this term but outside chance at next year pending health and it might be a unusual pick... Rick Parfitt Jr.

Last edited by medius; 4 Jul 2020 at 21:32.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 21:49 (Ref:3985679)   #6642
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
£2m in 1995 is roughly equivalent to £3.8m in 2019 going by the Bank of England’s inflation calculator. That is one amazing figure. I bet a lot of F1 drivers wish they were paid that this year.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 21:53 (Ref:3985681)   #6643
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I'm addition a 2 car British GT squad is less than a 1 car BTCC team.
but British GT this days run the boring and sterrile GT3 class like pretty much every GT championship for nearly a decade

this cars are like assembly line units and teams are just customers and they are BOP all the time

not at al like in the "powertour" era

and speaking of Cleland ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0NRiUnEy4o
Old 4 Jul 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3985684)   #6644
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For operating cost its collectively roughly the same for a single team running 3 different programs (x1 Porsche, x1 F4, x3 Jr) on the package as one single BTCC car. The team own the cars and essentially hire it out to pay pilots for the year. Its more profitable as a business to operate on the package that trying to step up.

I'm addition a 2 car British GT squad is less than a 1 car BTCC team. Speaking of which there's a fast driver with funding looking for a seat possibly this term but outside chance at next year pending health and it might be a unusual pick... Rick Parfitt Jr.
Good shout on RPJ he openly said BTCC was his target next year, not sure how ‘race ready’ he is but was back training I believe?
Old 4 Jul 2020, 22:25 (Ref:3985685)   #6645
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
There's one driver who takes 66% of any sponsorship as his "fee". Teams go for that because he can bring a lot of sponsorship.

Plato.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 06:51 (Ref:3985753)   #6646
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
When is the racing supposed to be starting? I do hope it's soon...
Old 5 Jul 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3985772)   #6647
medius
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Good shout on RPJ he openly said BTCC was his target next year, not sure how ‘race ready’ he is but was back training I believe?
As of May he said he's fully recovered and fighting fit looking at options.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 10:34 (Ref:3985773)   #6648
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
A few points on running costs:

If you're not a former champion and you need to pay for a drive, then it varies from team to team.

The cheapest deal I've heard about was ~£60,000. For that, the driver had no testing, no crash damage, no engineer, minimum tyres.

Typically, the lower end cars are around £150,000 plus crash damage.

The most expensive car would be around £500,000 plus crash damage.

In each case the team is making a profit at that revenue level, so the actual cost of running the car is lower than those figures.

Nobody is saying that it is cheap. But it is significantly cheaper than it used to be, and the racing is better.

I think it is safe to say that the combined budget of the entire grid this year is less than the budget of the biggest-budget team 25 years ago.

Indeed one team was paying >£2m in driver salaries 25 years ago.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3986014)   #6649
HarryBrown
Rookie

HarryBrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just watched an old British GT race at Castle Combe and got me thinking how good it would be to have on the BTCC calendar. Unfortunately I don't think the pit lane setup is quite up to scratch and also the strict noise restrictions they have there could pose an issue. Have the British touring cars ever raced there?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jul 2020, 16:44 (Ref:3986018)   #6650
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if you fart at combe one of the nimbys files a noise complaint...