Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:12 (Ref:3986397)   #6676
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Easy to say in hindsight, but there was a distinct lack of sponsorship on the cars at Media Day. Sad to see a 'works' team withdraw for sure, but looks like they aim to retain Plato and the Astras for 2021.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:14 (Ref:3986398)   #6677
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One of the entries people have been alluding to for a while as being in trouble. Among the strongest driver line-ups on the grid, a big loss.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:15 (Ref:3986399)   #6678
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Plato did state on Mike Brewers Facebook live he thought it’d have been better rolling everything over to 2021, guess he’s got his wish.

I wonder who the guest drivers may be. The ones with deepest pockets ?
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:17 (Ref:3986400)   #6679
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Still possibly running one car at selected rounds for guest drivers.

If anyone was in any doubt about relaxing the TBL rules this year, I think that answers that question.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:19 (Ref:3986401)   #6680
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think that PMR rely on having a lot of hospitality guests in return for some of their sponsorship income. With the 'racing behind closed doors' and 'limited numbers in the paddock' this year they're obviously not going to be able to provide that. (I am sure that all of the other teams will also be affected by this, but maybe no to such a great degree?)
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:22 (Ref:3986403)   #6681
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

If anyone was in any doubt about relaxing the TBL rules this year, I think that answers that question.
Alan Gow has already said he would allow 2 driver changes per car. With 2 cars that is effectively 4 drivers that can have a go at PMR.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:25 (Ref:3986406)   #6682
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Existing sponsors not interested in what can be offered under the current BTCC weekend format. Cars available if someone comes along with a sufficiently large cheque. Probably unlikely as there's better options available.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:25 (Ref:3986407)   #6683
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mat Jackson return is off
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:27 (Ref:3986408)   #6684
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...-with-vauxhall

Is it the way I’m reading this article or does it suggest Plato May still be on the grid. Using phrases such as ‘for now’
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3986409)   #6685
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Is it the way I’m reading this article or does it suggest Plato May still be on the grid. Using phrases such as ‘for now’
"But for now" as opposed to 2021 which the article discusses in the previous paragraph.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3986413)   #6686
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Alan Gow has already said he would allow 2 driver changes per car. With 2 cars that is effectively 4 drivers that can have a go at PMR.
They aren't running 2 cars, so the '4 drivers' doesn't apply. It's one car at selected races, not even at every race, which is what TBL rules would normally required. Not withstanding that normal rules don't allow you to skip a year and retain the TBLs anyhow.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that strict TBL rules should apply, I'm just point out for those that didn't believe it that TOCA have sensibly taken a very relaxed approach this year.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 07:48 (Ref:3986419)   #6687
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...-with-vauxhall

I read it that Plato has been released from his obligations to PMR and it's backers/sponsors for the 2020 season, and as such he is free to seek an alternative seat elsewhere if he so chooses.

I could be wrong in my interpretation, though.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 08:00 (Ref:3986424)   #6688
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a Plato free season , wonderful
Old 7 Jul 2020, 08:25 (Ref:3986428)   #6689
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame for PMR, sad to see them go, however, I believe they will indeed be back in 2021 stronger than ever. Reading the story on BTCC website I got the impression Plato is almost certain to return with them in 21 but this is less certain for Jackson.

Quote:
With Jason Plato already confirmed to be in next season’s line up, and with Mat Jackson having first option to continue, the team is in a great place moving forward.
He'll have 'first option' but will he be willing to? Will he have sponsorship in place? That's another question.

Nevertheless, I'm quite interested in who these 'guest drivers' will be.
And will it be the first BTCC season without Plato since 2003?
Old 7 Jul 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3986430)   #6690
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Nah he’ll be on the phone to Dick Bennett’s.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3986431)   #6691
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Massive shame to lose a works team like that. Would be good to see them running at a few rounds, but understandably their focus will now be on for getting back in 2021

Shame for Plato, but I'm more gutted for MJ, I had been really looking forward to his return and he only has an option with the team for 2021. If only he takes AJ's empty seat...
Old 7 Jul 2020, 09:24 (Ref:3986438)   #6692
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I know BTCC fans can be in the 'boo, hiss' pantomime crowd more than many other series, but I'm still amazed when we get such negative comments regarding one of the drivers.

Having drivers who you are not supporters of is part and parcel of Motorsport, but are you really happy that he (potentially) won't be competing this season in the circumstances outlined?

What about the rest of the team, and everyone associated with PMR who also will not be a full part of the season? All of the fans of the team, brand, and team mate who will not get to see their favourites on track?

Surely, a fan of Motorsport would rather seen on track rivalry and competition than have gaps on the grid, regardless of their support to a particular entrant? As someone who dislikes Plato, would you not prefer to see him getting beaten on the track, than to not be taking part at all?

From a personal perspective, the three drivers who we have already heard about regarding their withdrawal are probably my three least favoured drivers currently involved with BTCC. But I will still feel that I am missing out by not seeing them take part. I'll cheer any driver who overtakes JP, AJ or MJ on the track - but I take no pleasure in seeing them not take part.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 09:38 (Ref:3986439)   #6693
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We have seen from the past few seasons that Plato is not bigger than the series. The series has got enough top quality drivers to keep it going. But it is a massive shame we’ve lost two competitive seats for this season, that’s more the problem. Had someone just simply replaced Plato, that would have been easier to take.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3986443)   #6694
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I know BTCC fans can be in the 'boo, hiss' pantomime crowd more than many other series, but I'm still amazed when we get such negative comments regarding one of the drivers.
you sure spend a lot of time defending drivers , is it some habbit of yours ?

you also regret Simpson too ? a driver very prone to cause safety cars and very likely a lot of the other drivers are glad he is gone
Old 7 Jul 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3986444)   #6695
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Having drivers who you are not supporters of is part and parcel of Motorsport, but are you really happy that he (potentially) won't be competing this season in the circumstances outlined?

What about the rest of the team, and everyone associated with PMR who also will not be a full part of the season? All of the fans of the team, brand, and team mate who will not get to see their favourites on track?

Surely, a fan of Motorsport would rather seen on track rivalry and competition than have gaps on the grid, regardless of their support to a particular entrant? As someone who dislikes Plato, would you not prefer to see him getting beaten on the track, than to not be taking part at all?

From a personal perspective, the three drivers who we have already heard about regarding their withdrawal are probably my three least favoured drivers currently involved with BTCC. But I will still feel that I am missing out by not seeing them take part. I'll cheer any driver who overtakes JP, AJ or MJ on the track - but I take no pleasure in seeing them not take part.
Well said that man.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3986445)   #6696
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
you sure spend a lot of time defending drivers ,
If you read what I wrote - I'm not defending any driver, I'm defending the spirit of sporting competition.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3986448)   #6697
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They aren't running 2 cars, so the '4 drivers' doesn't apply. It's one car at selected races, not even at every race, which is what TBL rules would normally required. Not withstanding that normal rules don't allow you to skip a year and retain the TBLs anyhow.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that strict TBL rules should apply, I'm just point out for those that didn't believe it that TOCA have sensibly taken a very relaxed approach this year.
My point is they have the option to use both cars. If they were to exhaust their two driver changes on one car and another 2 drivers come along also wanting to race at some meetings, they have the opportunity of using the second car instead as the first car will have used up it's quota of driver changes.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 10:39 (Ref:3986450)   #6698
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
My point is they have the option to use both cars. If they were to exhaust their two driver changes on one car and another 2 drivers come along also wanting to race at some meetings, they have the opportunity of using the second car instead as the first car will have used up it's quota of driver changes.
That's assuming the limit on driver changes is being enforced this season.
We've already had confirmation that other TBL requirements are not being enforced, so why would that element?
Old 7 Jul 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3986452)   #6699
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Wow.

I don't believe this is the last big name either.

Genuinely don't believe Jason will be in another ride but fingers crossed he is. Love him or not, he adds massively to the sport.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 10:44 (Ref:3986453)   #6700
S griffin
Veteran

I just think it’s not going to be worth it if he has another season like 2018. That really doesn’t add to the series