Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1064935)   #1
McKay
Racer

McKay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Silverstone - Copse Corner

Hello,
I was watching today the 1992 BTCC Review and I had watched the 1988 Review not so long before. I noticed a change at Copse corner. This change was that the was a green piece of tarmac by the entrance and that there were outside kerbs through the corner and a partial apshalt run off. Now I thought this was strange as to my knowledge, Copse didnt change until 1994, when it got tightened alot to slow down the cars. Did Copse change slightly in 1991 when most of the circuit changed? And when copse was opened out again in 1997 did it revery back to the original corner, the 1991 corner or something different. Any help would be apreciated as I am making Silverstone for a game and want it to be as precise as possible.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 12:41 (Ref:1064953)   #2
GreenAdam
Rookie

GreenAdam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is to do with f1 not btcc
Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:08 (Ref:1064998)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's to do with F1 not BTCC, Adam??

The Trackside forum covers all kinds of motorsport, including F1, BTCC, GTs, Club racing etc etc etc.

Ten-tenths is not just an F1 forum - take a look around.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1065016)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Ten-tenths is not just an F1 forum - take a look around.
In fact some of us have no interest in F1 and never visit that section of the site.

{Edited for spelling.]

Last edited by Guy Humpage; 13 Aug 2004 at 13:24.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:31 (Ref:1065027)   #5
McKay
Racer

I think he meant that the corner change was to do with F1 not BTCC, which i know. I wasnt actually asking anything to do with that. Can anyone help with the question?
Old 13 Aug 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1065043)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah! Yeah, I guess that makes sense!

My memory/knowledge of track changes is nowhere near good enough to help, I'm afraid. I guess the biggest change at Copse is the recent change from gravel trap to tarmac run-off on the outside, but I can't even remember when that was done...
Old 13 Aug 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1065071)   #7
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure i have all the previous layouts in a an old programme at home, Ill have a go anyway at answering the question
I think for 91 all they changed was the run off could be wrong, they may have bought it closer to the start line to achieve this though, but the general shape of the corner was similar if not the same.
For 94 it was tight then a straight out, elbow stile
97 it then changed to something different again, is it still kind of elbow shaped rather than a constant radius corner as it was pre 94 but a lot more opened up than the 94 style, i doubt the designer thought it would be as quick as it is. I'll have to dig out these layout pics & check my facts
Old 13 Aug 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1065156)   #8
McKay
Racer

Thanks Ian, that clears it up a bit for the time being. Hope you find the programs!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1065167)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Silverstone gets changed quite regularly. Often resurfaced and re-profiled.

Green Adam is right the changes are mainly as a result of considerations for the F1 race.

I can't remember the exact dates, but generally Copse was tightened as described by ianpearson and then they tried to return it to its former glory.

Check out the various revisions here (although there isn't much about the run off): http://www.racingcircuits.net/United...stone1994.html . www.racingcircuits.net is a very good site.

Generally I like Copse, very fast again and is a good place to learn about fast corners (plenty of run off!). Unfortunately spectating can need binoculars now
Old 13 Aug 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1065194)   #10
McKay
Racer

Yes i Did take a look at racingcircuits.net but its rather innacurate about a lot of things. It doesnt include the priory kink on the national circuit, and claims the original brooklands was there before the built the luffield chicane, which is wrong. It also says that the 1991-1993 GP track had priory further up the track out of bridge, which is innacurate, as priory got moved further up in 1994. Thanks anyway
Old 13 Aug 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1065237)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You should tell them at racingcircuits.net they are always looking for help.
Old 19 Sep 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1100738)   #12
McKay
Racer

Did you ever find those programs Ian ?