Closed Thread

Old 26 Jun 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1340490)   #1
redone
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
redone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory Park Pitlane

So, I've just got back from a good days Morgan CC racing @ Mallory, but I'm confused !!
Done about 5 meetings there this season, and the last 3 have used the "new" pitlane entrance (sanctioned as safe by the MSA).
Turn up this morning, and we are back to the "old" pitlane entrance (on the start/finish straight) because the MSA have said the "new" entrance is NOT safe. They sanctioned the new entrance, so whats that all about then ?
Still didn't distract from a good day, weren't the 3-wheelers great ?
Old 26 Jun 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1340516)   #2
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redone
So, I've just got back from a good days Morgan CC racing @ Mallory, but I'm confused !!
Done about 5 meetings there this season, and the last 3 have used the "new" pitlane entrance (sanctioned as safe by the MSA).
Turn up this morning, and we are back to the "old" pitlane entrance (on the start/finish straight) because the MSA have said the "new" entrance is NOT safe. They sanctioned the new entrance, so whats that all about then ?
Still didn't distract from a good day, weren't the 3-wheelers great ?
Point one - you're always confused - it's your age darling!

Point two - I can do no better than redirect you to this thread http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...19#post1330919

As far as I am aware, Mallory Park hasn't got a pit lane for the remainder of this season. If things have changed, why hasn't someone informed me?

Sheila M
(Chief Pit Marshal - BARC and 750 MC, Mallory and Donington)
Old 26 Jun 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1340533)   #3
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mallory and the MSA have talked, and the 'original' pit lane it seems will be used for cars. For all meetings? I don't know. It just means that the barrier blocking the entrance needs to be put in and taken out depending on the event.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1340535)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Mallory and the MSA have talked, and the 'original' pit lane it seems will be used for cars. For all meetings? I don't know. It just means that the barrier blocking the entrance needs to be put in and taken out depending on the event.
Hmmm. I think this needs further clarification. I'll try and call John Ward tomorrow for more info.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1340564)   #5
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just got back from Mallory, good to see the marshals there are a hard working bunch

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/mallory_marshal.jpg
http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/mallory_marshal2.jpg
Old 26 Jun 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1340577)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To add the topping so to speak. This picture was taken after the 4th race of the afternoon. I was the Observer/Flag @ The Hairypin (Post 10) & was radioed as normal to open the top gate, to allow vehicles to leave the circuit. a convoy appeared out of the paddock, the last vehicle being this Ice cream van, Mick Glover the Observer @ Post 9 (The Oak Tree) leapt down off the bank & stood in front of the van causing it to stop. He then bought Ice Creams for himself & the lady Marshal on his post (Phillipa - works for Land Rover in Cov). The van then left the circuit! to the amusement of myself & Phill Schramm.

After the F.Ford Star of the Midlands race, Mick had asked for the Rescue Unit to visit his Post as it had a Paramedic on board, we thought one of his Teddys was suffering from heat exhaustion but it turned out, young Phillipa had been struck by debri from a F>Forder!
Old 26 Jun 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1340590)   #7
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me, i stood in the pits while my son did his pit stop in the tin tops race,he drove in to the pits via the old entrance on the start/finish straight,he did the same in practice,its not just women who can change their mind, the msa can as well,it looks as if its business as usual until a compete pit lane that satisfies the msa and acu is constructed. Can barc re-order urinal blocks for the toilets,warm weather and all that,i am sure msa and acu could agree on that?
Old 26 Jun 2005, 22:56 (Ref:1340615)   #8
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan jones
Can barc re-order urinal blocks for the toilets,warm weather and all that,i am sure msa and acu could agree on that?
My guess is that they wouldn't agree whether to install said apparatus in the Gents of Ladies.
Back on thread - I'm a bit glad they have gone back to a pit lane as I was sure when we go there the drivers, even after being told, would still try and find the non-existing pits.

Now - I wonder whether the MSA were going to put those urinals in the local brewery and "couldn't organise it"?
Old 27 Jun 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1341128)   #9
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Mallory Park Pit Lane is CLOSED

Well, it is today anyway!

I have just spoken to John Ward and he assures me that, apart from one more meeting with a driver change race later in the season (JCC?) the pit lane at Mallory Park is most definitely closed.

Sheila
Old 27 Jun 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1341141)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The later one will be the Top Hat event in October then.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 14:20 (Ref:1341159)   #11
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The later one will be the Top Hat event in October then.

I presume so, unless anyone knows something I don't!
Old 27 Jun 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1341239)   #12
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Just got back from Mallory, good to see the marshals there are a hard working bunch

http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/mallory_marshal.jpg
http://www.mdh-photography.co.uk/mallory_marshal2.jpg
It wasn't me! I wasn't there!
Old 27 Jun 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1341241)   #13
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
To add the topping so to speak. This picture was taken after the 4th race of the afternoon. I was the Observer/Flag @ The Hairypin (Post 10) & was radioed as normal to open the top gate, to allow vehicles to leave the circuit. a convoy appeared out of the paddock, the last vehicle being this Ice cream van, Mick Glover the Observer @ Post 9 (The Oak Tree) leapt down off the bank & stood in front of the van causing it to stop. He then bought Ice Creams for himself & the lady Marshal on his post (Phillipa - works for Land Rover in Cov). The van then left the circuit! to the amusement of myself & Phill Schramm.

After the F.Ford Star of the Midlands race, Mick had asked for the Rescue Unit to visit his Post as it had a Paramedic on board, we thought one of his Teddys was suffering from heat exhaustion but it turned out, young Phillipa had been struck by debri from a F>Forder!
You mean it's not usual for the ice cream van to visit the marshals on such a hot day? I did wonder why I had never seen one before. But I thought it was maybe special treatment because of the aforementioned "injury". The bears were fine because they were quite sensibly sitting in the shade under the old oak tree (and out of the flight-path of any UFOs). But if I find out who it was who threw the UFO at me maybe HE wont be!

(UFO = I dunno what it was 'cos I never saw it but it was definitely flying)

Seriously though, I can't even describe it as "a flesh wound" because it now needs a magnifying glass to spot where I was hit.

PJ

PS Hi Dave
Old 27 Jun 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1341326)   #14
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear you're ok, us Hairypin boys were concerned.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1341360)   #15
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if we'll get similar service at the GP??
Old 27 Jun 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1341373)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
To hopes Clive, & one of those is Bob.........
Old 27 Jun 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1341416)   #17
redone
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
redone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

To get back to the thread, if the pitlane IS now close, does that mean I'm redundant?
Old 27 Jun 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1341418)   #18
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by redone
To get back to the thread, if the pitlane IS now close, does that mean I'm redundant?
No!!! I asked that at the time it was originally closed.

What happened the last time I was there was, I was Chief Assembly and ran a very large assembly area, all the way down the roadway with the garages (i.e.that road fomerly known as the pit lane and now known as the access road!). Made life so much easier and of course, being an Assembly Area, there are no rules and regulations other than general paddock ones!
Old 27 Jun 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1341428)   #19
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Oh, and by way of further clarification - during practice, the cars lined up in the assembly area and were signalled out on to the track in the usual way (from the usual place!). If they wanted to leave the track to do any work then it had to be done in the paddock, but if there was time and if the scruts agreed, they could rejoin the practice from the Assembly Area. During the races (10 laps) there was little point in them attempting this.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1341551)   #20
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So let me get this right. The "old" pit lane was considered dangerous so its now closed. Except that is, for races with driver changes when it will get much more crowded.

Must be my age coz I don't quite follow the modern thinking.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1341567)   #21
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not quite. The ACU didn't like the old pit lane, so a new pit lane entrance was devised by the paddock gate with a barrier blocking the old pit lane entrance. To save them removing this barrier, the cars then used this same pit lane, but then, as I understand it, the MSA wouldn't permit that revision. So as a compromise, for meetings with driver change races, the original pit lane is being used, so they have to remove the barriers. But they won't do that for car meetings without such races, so there will be no pit lane at all. Or something.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1341779)   #22
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Not quite. The ACU didn't like the old pit lane, so a new pit lane entrance was devised by the paddock gate with a barrier blocking the old pit lane entrance. To save them removing this barrier, the cars then used this same pit lane, but then, as I understand it, the MSA wouldn't permit that revision. So as a compromise, for meetings with driver change races, the original pit lane is being used, so they have to remove the barriers. But they won't do that for car meetings without such races, so there will be no pit lane at all. Or something.
That's about it, Ian. And as there is only one more meeting this year with driver change races (i.e the JCC in October), we can say with some certainty that there is no pit lane at Mallory for the remainder of the season. (I think!)
Old 28 Jun 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1341825)   #23
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you can't pit to make adjustments in qualifying because BARC won't instruct their circuit staff to move the tyres.

Seems the Friendly Circuit might soon need renaming...
Old 28 Jun 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1341852)   #24
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So as a compromise, for meetings with driver change races, the original pit lane is being used, so they have to remove the barriers. But they won't do that for car meetings without such races, so there will be no pit lane at all. Or something.
Please excuse my cynicism, but does anyone know why it's not possible to remove the barriers for all car races, so a pit lane will become available? If it can be done for some meetings, surely it can be done for all of them?!
Old 28 Jun 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1341894)   #25
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Asking on Sunday, solicited the answer "because (the management) don't want to."
Closed Thread