Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Would you watch a Supercars series without a General Motors product?
Yes 24 82.76%
No 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 May 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3978083)   #1
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would you watch a Supercars series without Holden or Chevrolet?

Simple question.

I feel like Supercars administration have been quite fixated on this, with "Holden" seen almost as a sporting team -- apparently favoured by many who watch Supercars -- rather than as a car manufacturer. Yet the car manufacturer is no more, and the potential replacement, the Chevrolet Camaro won't be continued by General Motors either.

If there is no General Motors product in Supercars (but instead say a Ford Mustang vs BMW 8 series rivalry), would that bother you and would you still watch the series?
Old 24 May 2020, 21:57 (Ref:3978131)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I marshalled at Surfers I was told by my fellow marshals I needed to pick a side, Ford or Holden.

"I drive a BMW". I replied, "why would I choose one of them?"
Old 24 May 2020, 22:09 (Ref:3978132)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry to hear that Woolley.
Old 24 May 2020, 22:17 (Ref:3978135)   #4
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
When I marshalled at Surfers I was told by my fellow marshals I needed to pick a side, Ford or Holden.

"I drive a BMW". I replied, "why would I choose one of them?"
That puts you in the Ford camp then.
Old 25 May 2020, 01:24 (Ref:3978150)   #5
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watch F1 with no holden and ford.
Soon we will have no choice.
I guess as long as the racing is quick, competitive and local we should be happy
Old 25 May 2020, 10:14 (Ref:3978190)   #6
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I will definitely watch, it will be better without holden imo.
Old 25 May 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3978196)   #7
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I will definitely watch, it will be better without holden imo.
SHUSH you
Old 25 May 2020, 21:50 (Ref:3978294)   #8
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That puts you in the Ford camp then.
That's what they said

I did get the one with working indicators. In fact, I think I've got the only car of any make in this country with working indicators, except for the few that indicate left just before the junction before the one they're leaving at.
Old 27 May 2020, 05:33 (Ref:3978498)   #9
JT.
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
JT. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes but they need to bring the Mercs and Volvos back
Old 30 May 2020, 20:24 (Ref:3979350)   #10
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I would keep watching, it’s never been about brands for me, let’s be honest both Ford and Holden have made largely dreadful cars over the last 30 years when compared to Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Saab, Volvo, Jaguar etc. So I’ve never heard any interest in or allegiance to Ford or Holden.

It’s the quality of the racing and the fact that the cars are powerful and RWD that keeps me interested.
Old 30 May 2020, 22:48 (Ref:3979370)   #11
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
Yes I would keep watching, it’s never been about brands for me, let’s be honest both Ford and Holden have made largely dreadful cars over the last 30 years
I think this point is key - T8 make a fast race car, not Holden. The Kelly's make an average race car, not Nissan. Ford kind of muddied the waters by being so involved in the Mustang project, but at the end of the day Penske still had to produce results with it.

The teams should be the focus. Based in Australia. Filled with Australian employees. A lot of subcontracting done within Australia. It's really something to be proud of. Having manufacturers front and center creates this facade that the tribalist amongst us so easily fall into - "you see the Holden pull that Ford down Conrod aye mate?"
Old 30 May 2020, 22:58 (Ref:3979371)   #12
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
The teams should be the focus. Based in Australia. Filled with Australian employees. A lot of subcontracting done within Australia.
Supercars deliberately replaced the Australian-made Holinger and Albins transmissions with a British-made XTrac transmission. Same goes for the Supercars LED information panels which will be supplied from China.

Surely in a world of globalisation, the most economic supplier should be selected given the cost pressures faced by Supercars teams?

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 30 May 2020 at 23:04.
Old 31 May 2020, 02:38 (Ref:3979380)   #13
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Supercars deliberately replaced the Australian-made Holinger and Albins transmissions with a British-made XTrac transmission. Same goes for the Supercars LED information panels which will be supplied from China.

Surely in a world of globalisation, the most economic supplier should be selected given the cost pressures faced by Supercars teams?
Of course. If having an "Australian Made" series makes it cost prohibitive then some hard choices need to be made.

Stuff like panel/composite repair I can't see being offshored, but in-house fabrication, machining etc may no longer be an option, especially if control parts are introduced, allowing bulk orders from cheap overseas sources.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 07:35 (Ref:3979727)   #14
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course I would, unless it's Ford vs Ford. If there are only Mustangs then I'm probably not that interested.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3979753)   #15
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Of course I would, unless it's Ford vs Ford. If there are only Mustangs then I'm probably not that interested.
I think therein iies the problem for me, I'm fine for people to be Mustang fans and cheering them on, but once the whole field is Mustangs, what's the point?
Old 2 Jun 2020, 10:02 (Ref:3979758)   #16
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, exactly, I'm a McLaughlin and Penske supporter myself but now it's barely ok with Holdens being 2/3 of the grid but at least there are two makes. Supercars, the premier Australian motorsport category being a one-make cup? Completely bad idea which would kill the sport. It's just uninteresting seeing everyone representing the same brand.
Old 2 Jun 2020, 10:28 (Ref:3979769)   #17
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I think therein iies the problem for me, I'm fine for people to be Mustang fans and cheering them on, but once the whole field is Mustangs, what's the point?
The one saving grace would be that the whole field isn't commodores.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 01:58 (Ref:3979895)   #18
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I doubt Ford would be interested either.
Old 3 Jun 2020, 05:30 (Ref:3979903)   #19
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.performancedrive.com.au/...-in-july-0222/
Audi Australia confirms 2020 TT RS, arrives in July
this would make a good gen 3
Old 3 Jun 2020, 08:40 (Ref:3979929)   #20
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we knew what Gen 3 actually is...
Old 3 Jun 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3979962)   #21
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
If we knew what Gen 3 actually is...
EXactly
Old 4 Jun 2020, 14:37 (Ref:3980159)   #22
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
https://www.performancedrive.com.au/...-in-july-0222/
Audi Australia confirms 2020 TT RS, arrives in July
this would make a good gen 3
It could but Audi will not participate in the championship using combustion engines. And I doubt Supercars goes electric with Gen3