Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 29 Nov 2007, 03:15 (Ref:2077702)   #1
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rahal sues Scott Sharp and Patron

I guess all those rumors about sharp shopping around for another ride were true:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/41828/

"We find it deeply unfortunate that Scott Sharp Sports and Scott personally have taken this course of action, given that they are contractually committed with Rahal Letterman Racing through 2008,” said team co-owner Bobby Rahal. “We have learned that Scott is interested in racing somewhere else. If that is his direction in the future, so be it, but not in violation of his 2008 commitments. Their attempted legal maneuver to break the contract early is totally without merit. As such, Rahal Letterman Racing will vigorously and aggressively pursue our claims against Sharp and Patrón and the remedies to which we are entitled, as well as defend our team against their unfounded allegations. We had hoped to avoid the ramifications of legal proceedings, but with the allegations against us becoming public record, it is important that we act quickly and decisively to obtain judicial intervention to protect our reputation and goodwill in the industry, as well as to prevent any interference with our relations with our sponsors and other business partners.”
Old 29 Nov 2007, 04:11 (Ref:2077721)   #2
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rahal gets two thumbs up for fast, decisive action. More power and a judgment to him.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 16:20 (Ref:2078013)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I guess all those rumors about sharp shopping around for another ride were true:

....”

Maybe this will open up an IRL window for Graham Rahal?
Old 29 Nov 2007, 16:20 (Ref:2078014)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so does this mean

a) Sharp wanting his own team
b) Sharp moving to another IRL team
c) Sharp to ALMS
d) Sharp to Nascar, why not everyone else is.
Old 29 Nov 2007, 16:58 (Ref:2078045)   #5
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
e. Sharp to court
Old 29 Nov 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2078091)   #6
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
so does this mean

a) Sharp wanting his own team
b) Sharp moving to another IRL team
c) Sharp to ALMS
d) Sharp to Nascar, why not everyone else is.
I hope that he stays in the IRL with another team or making one of his own, or moving to the ALMS. NASCAR is the last place I want to see him.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 00:07 (Ref:2078327)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were a lot of rumors earlier about him going to the ALMS. I doubt he'll go to nascar, but you never know.

Apparently Sharp sued Rahal a month or two ago and this is a countersuit.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 01:14 (Ref:2078362)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not a healthy situation.

Even if the court settles in RLR favour, after these proceedings it would be unlikely they would still wish to work with each other.

Would that make the Ethanol car a single RLR entry.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 02:15 (Ref:2078392)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I was gratified to see the speed at which this upbeat piece was posted. Kudos!

Seriously, I wonder what Sharp was trying to accomplish other than to spend a lot of quality time with his attorneys?

I think I will also select option "e" as Leighton suggests!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 03:46 (Ref:2078428)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
I was gratified to see the speed at which this upbeat piece was posted. Kudos!

Seriously, I wonder what Sharp was trying to accomplish other than to spend a lot of quality time with his attorneys?

I think I will also select option "e" as Leighton suggests!
Thanks John! Just trying to keep up with indycool!

I do wonder what this is all about and what Sharp is up to. It's not likely any other team in the irl that can take him would be any more competitive. Unless it ties in with rumors sharp tried to buy out Rahal and since that didn't go ahead is trying to start his own game.

Maybe he'll look at champcar since he was apparently at a test.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 07:18 (Ref:2078480)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Maybe he'll look at champcar since he was apparently at a test.
AHA! That's where you wanted to get then!

But you never know, the whole story could turn out as "shattered dreams" for you ms
Old 30 Nov 2007, 09:09 (Ref:2078517)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
AHA! That's where you wanted to get then!

But you never know, the whole story could turn out as "shattered dreams" for you ms
Anything is possible when you have $8 million in your pocket.

Unlikely though he would come to champcar as he would probably get his clock cleaned.

I think he is probably going to ALMS or setting up his own team. That would be my guess.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 10:55 (Ref:2078590)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I am sure the thought of possibly facing Negrao has Scott shaking in his driving shoes...

I think that Scott has been somewhat underrated as a driver and at times he just has not been with as good as a team as he needs. I don't think he would threaten for the Championship if he were in CC but he would not be an embarrassment.

Just a thought - and it is just that - but Scott has long been rumored to be looking at starting his own team once he hangs up the helmet. Could the kerfluffle with Rahal be related to that rather than to Scott taking the sponsorship elsewhere as a driver? I think MS has a point about his going to an owner's role.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 15:20 (Ref:2078761)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course, Scott is on the older side of the competitive driver career, but a former multiple Trans Am champion (when Trans Am meant something, as opposed to when Paul Gentilozzi won his championships) wouldn't get his clock cleaned in a straight up fight. I think you have to give him a bit more respect than that, mountainstar.

... unless you say that about the entire CC paddock when comparing them to Sebastien ...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Nov 2007, 23:34 (Ref:2079070)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Of course, Scott is on the older side of the competitive driver career, but a former multiple Trans Am champion (when Trans Am meant something, as opposed to when Paul Gentilozzi won his championships) wouldn't get his clock cleaned in a straight up fight. I think you have to give him a bit more respect than that, mountainstar.

... unless you say that about the entire CC paddock when comparing them to Sebastien ...
Oh yeah, I remember that season when he won Trans AM quite well as that was right about the time I was first getting interested in the sport. There is no question he has road racing skills, but he hasn't done much with them for 15 years so I think it would take some time to get up to speed.

In any case I doubt champcar is his first option.

Sad that Trans Am isn't with us anymore.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 09:38 (Ref:2079239)   #16
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering how everyone has been talking about Scott Sharp setting up his own team, you'd guess that that would be what he's trying to do now. I can't imagine him going to NASCAR or Champ Car, and throwing togeather an ALMS team with that little sportscar experience? For me the most realistic option seems to be running a car for himself in IRL and jumping in for a few of the longer ALMS races.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 23:28 (Ref:2079576)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

Does seem most likely Jimmy.

However you cant blame RLR for wanting to keep their second car. I believe it was written that Sharp is arguing RLR have broken contract by not delivering certain parts of their deal. So it should be interesting.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 00:25 (Ref:2079595)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
http://www.latimes.com/sports/printe...ck=1&cset=true

Here is a new article that sheds more light on it. Sounds like ALMS was the destination.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 04:31 (Ref:2079628)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

The line "sharp will not drive for RLR in 2008, thats for sure" kind of sums up the situation.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 12:51 (Ref:2079871)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I reckon once you have sued the boss and had the boss counter-sue you, it kind of poisons the well...
Old 3 Dec 2007, 08:40 (Ref:2080382)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

Absolutely but writing it off so early limits the options.

Could be costly for Sharp and Patron if they are forced to compensate RLR and then pursue an ALMS program
Old 3 Dec 2007, 10:00 (Ref:2080473)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
You wonder how much Patron really wants to be mixed up in all this.

Sounds like it puts the Rahal team in jeopardy of only running one car.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2080610)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

Self proclaimed insiders at the Speed forums suggest the relationship between Ethanol and RLR are not all that rosey either. Interesting to see if any truth to this.

Not a good way to start the off season for the IRL, RLR or Patron
Old 3 Dec 2007, 19:51 (Ref:2080892)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You wonder how much Patron really wants to be mixed up in all this.
Sounds to me like they were instigators, rather than bystanders:
Quote:
The team alleged that it was Sharp, "induced and/or instructed" by Patron, who tried to cancel their driver and sponsorship agreements for 2008.
The allegations are exactly what you'd expect from a countersuit.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Dec 2007, 23:04 (Ref:2081009)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Self proclaimed insiders at the Speed forums suggest the relationship between Ethanol and RLR are not all that rosey either. Interesting to see if any truth to this.

Not a good way to start the off season for the IRL, RLR or Patron
I had heard that a long time ago. Also, I heard they are only tipping in $5 million a year which is less than other big sponsors.

Certainly the commitment doesn't seem the same as a few years ago with Bobby seemingly more interested in his sons career and playing with old F1 cars.