Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3276532)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Historic Birkett Historic - 2 November, Snetterton

Our friends in GT&SC forum have reminded me of this:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138392

Got to support this initiative, I reckon.

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Sep 2013 at 07:17.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:37 (Ref:3276540)   #2
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For some reason, the website will not allow me to access the thread that you have linked; I don't know if the same applies to other members.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3276558)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Mike, It's a private forum for SR&GTC members but we allow dyslexic people and John in on sufferance.

Here's a link http://www.750mc.co.uk/store/product...ay-race_22.htm
Old 11 Jul 2013, 18:04 (Ref:3276698)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in a bit of a quandary with regards to this one for it clashes with the opening day of the WHT meeting. I think I'll do Snetterton on the Saturday (as its a new event, with a lot of potential), before heading over to Silverstone on the Sunday.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3276709)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I'm in a bit of a quandary with regards to this one for it clashes with the opening day of the WHT meeting. I think I'll do Snetterton on the Saturday (as its a new event, with a lot of potential), before heading over to Silverstone on the Sunday.
It's not going to be a pure historics meeting, from my reading continuations and replicas can enter so the purists will be pulling their hair out. I get the feeling this is to appease a lot of people who don't want to race against modern saloons and Caterfields in the Birkett.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3276897)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTE=Tim Falce;3276558]Mike, It's a private forum for SR&GTC members but we allow dyslexic people and John in on sufferance.

Yep, sorry, I forgot it was members only! I think I got in because I had some pics to post in there on occasions!! Well some-one let me in anyway!

Noted about continuations and replicas but that is probably to ensure a decent entry for a first event. Worth having a crack at I hope and the more original cars we can get there surely the more historic the flavour. The cut off date makes it promising and yes definitely to cater for those owners who don't want moderns whistling around them all the time.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3277036)   #7
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been thinking about running a Mustang team in the Birkett for a few years but admittedly all the Westfield thingys have put me off. This seems much more up my street - will make a few phone calls
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 12 Jul 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3277161)   #8
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

Noted about continuations and replicas but that is probably to ensure a decent entry for a first event. Worth having a crack at I hope and the more original cars we can get there surely the more historic the flavour. The cut off date makes it promising and yes definitely to cater for those owners who don't want moderns whistling around them all the time.
Don,t forget that some of those replicas have been around and racing longer than a lot of the "historic" cars.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3277218)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
I've been thinking about running a Mustang team in the Birkett for a few years but admittedly all the Westfield thingys have put me off. This seems much more up my street - will make a few phone calls

As are so many others. Just another excellent event thats been wrecked by allowing nearly anything in just to fill the grid,sign of the times.?
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:50 (Ref:3277229)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Locaterfields, sports racers et al have been racing for far longer than "the times" and the Birkett has always been full hasn't it?
Old 13 Jul 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3277232)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I don't see this as stopping Locaterfields from entering as they are just followons/copies of 7s. Hopefully it will stop the likes of the Roadsports and tin tops bangum and smashum brigade from joining.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3277251)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well, Tim, given that the intention is to provide a separate race for the older cars away from the moderns, I'd hope the organisers would ensure that they only accept teams that will achieve that, otherwise it defeats the object of he exercise. Classes listed as per link below. I've noticed an error in the final para which refers to 6 hours but it is in fact 4 hours:-

http://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/historicbirkett.htm
Old 25 Jul 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3281430)   #13
Giles
Rookie

Giles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
As are so many others. Just another excellent event thats been wrecked by allowing nearly anything in just to fill the grid,sign of the times.?
I am sure the 67 teams that made up the largest Birkett Entry in history in 2012, do not consider the event to be "wrecked," the ethos of the Birkett is to bring together the whole club racing community for a good value and fun end of season event. The fact that Caterhams are so well represented is simply a sign of the huge success they had enjoyed and the market share that they possess in national motorsport.

The fact that some of the teams that have long been part of Birkett history, now feel that the speed differentials are sufficiently high that they do not wish to race, has led us to the idea of the "Historic Birkett."

It will be a 4 Hour Race and it will be at Snetterton on the 300 circuit, replicas and continuation cars will be allowed, but every entry is subect to the scrutiny and approval of the organisers to ensure it is within the spirit of the event.

We have had our first 4 entries, which is excellent and they comprise 2 x teams of Morgans, 1 x team of MGB's and a team of genuine period Lotus 7's. Our own 750 Trophy Series are working on running 3 teams, Bentley Drivers Club 2 teams, so hopefully with a few more it will be a great event!
Old 25 Jul 2013, 14:55 (Ref:3281498)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Hi, Giles, as you know I'm hoping that there will be at least one FISCAR team there. I think that this is an excellent initiative to acknowledge the age discrepancy/performance issues and I hope that the new event gets proper support.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 15:00 (Ref:3281502)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Yeah, you gotta!!
Old 24 Sep 2013, 07:18 (Ref:3308588)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
So, anyone put a team in from here yet?
Old 24 Sep 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3308924)   #17
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have 3/4 of a team of Imps, just need to talk 1 more into coming out to play and will get our entry submitted.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3308931)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Fingers crossed for you Simon.
Old 25 Sep 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3309289)   #19
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hoping to put together a team of 4 Aston's, again we think we have 3/4 of a team
Old 25 Sep 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3309302)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I've been invited into a team but the wimp in me thinks it may be too cold to be bothered.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 05:38 (Ref:3309463)   #21
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Come on, Tim; do it. Put an extra couple of layers of clothing on!
Old 26 Sep 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3309633)   #22
750MC
Rookie

750MC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've had a team of Frazer Nash cars enter today too!
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3314454)   #23
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Come on, Tim; do it. Put an extra couple of layers of clothing on!
After a reasonably successful and fun day at Snetterton on Saturday I'm now entered, luckily I have an FIA homologated sheepskin coat to wear over my overalls.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3314515)   #24
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
After a reasonably successful and fun day at Snetterton on Saturday I'm now entered, luckily I have an FIA homologated sheepskin coat to wear over my overalls.
Id love to do this but no one invites me....
Old 8 Oct 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3314520)   #25
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Don,t forget that some of those replicas have been around and racing longer than a lot of the "historic" cars.
WELL SAID !